PC upgrades (1 Viewer)

Marty

After some help. Looking to upgrade my Motherboard and my CPU, and eventually the RAM.

I have no idea what to look for. The only thing I ask for is that it's AMD. Not sure how much I want to spend, but I don't want the latest highest quality, but I don't want anything that'll need to be replaced a year down the line. Sort of middle to high end.

It's for gaming.

ConnorDevine

That's quite vague, I'm not sure what you hae right now either, but try an Athlon quad core or phenom quad core, or if you can stretch the budget a phenom x6

This will mean you'll need a am3 motherboard, but chances are your current ram won't fit, so make sure you check that

Marty

Current CPU: AMD athlon 64 x2 dual core 4400+ 2.3 GHz.
Not sure on Motherboard but it was new from factory for a mid range PC about 4 years ago, so I'm sure anything would be an upgrade.

Can I ask why not intel. I have been very happy with my i7 and got it running osx like a dream personally wouldn't go back to amd. Not slating them just wondering what your reasons are.

Marty

I had an intel once and had nothing but problems with it, never had a problem with AMD. I'm open to suggestions though and if I can get something better for the same price then I'm not fussed with changing.

Sisued

I'm in the process of speccing up my new machine.
Having done a fair bit of research so far id go for the i5 3570k intel chip and a Gigabyte GAz77m-D3H motherboard.
A great combination and shouldnt cost the earth.

Graphics card id recommend would be the msi GTX 660TI that seems to be the best value around at the moment.

Last edited:

bulko

Im looking to upgrade anyone had a mac mini ?. Fancy going onto ox10 instead of windows.

Users who are viewing this thread