Petrol and Diesel Cars banned by 2040 (1 Viewer)

skybluetony176

I would guess you said the same when some bloke turned up with a briefcase and showed you a huge brick and said "this is a mobile phone and it's the future"

That's sort of the point though. Mobile phone has already driven battery technology a million miles. How much further can it be driven now?

dancers lance

I'm starting to think that you're a wind up merchant ;)

Scrap lead batteries are worth about £450 a ton at the moment.
Sorry Tony, I couldn't help it. Joking aside, you seem like a very cleaver bloke who knows exactly what he is talking about, thanks for being a good sport.

fernandopartridge

Fine if the infrastructure is in place, I.e. a gov interested in genuine investment in both people and technology (not this useless Tory government obsessed with foreign investment), it could be great. Would love to cut off the money supply to the Middle East.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dutchman

By 2040 the world will be unreconisable compared to what it is today and the system of government we have now probably won't even exist then.

Worst case scenario, we will be living in a radioactive pile of rubble and pollution from petrol and diesel engines will be the least of our worries.

Captain Dart

Mehhhh.. I'll be buying petrol cars unless they become prohibitively expensive to run, I doubt I'll live much longer than the 2040 deadline anyway.
I just hope I don't turn into one of these old boys you see driving down the road on a disabled scooter and have the good grace to give up driving if & when it is time.
article-1313337-03AFEDFC000005DC-45_468x286.jpg

SkyblueBazza

Mehhhh.. I'll be buying petrol cars unless they become prohibitively expensive to run, I doubt I'll live much longer than the 2040 deadline anyway.
I just hope I don't turn into one of these old boys you see driving down the road on a disabled scooter and have the good grace to give up driving if & when it is time.
article-1313337-03AFEDFC000005DC-45_468x286.jpg
BUT things move on apace - by 2040 the batteries may become incredibly more efficient & capable of much greater distances. As for power & speed - an average Formula E car has a power of at least 250 horsepower (190 kW). The car is able to accelerate from 0–100 km/h (0–62 mph) in 3 seconds, with a maximum speed of 225 km/h (140 mph).The generators used to re-charge the batteries are powered byglycerine, a by-product of bio-diesel production (copied from wiki)

So by 2040 we may have electric cars able to do 500miles on a single full charge at 70mph & 0-60 in 4s.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

BUT things move on apace - by 2040 the batteries may become incredibly more efficient & capable of much greater distances. As for power & speed - an average Formula E car has a power of at least 250 horsepower (190 kW). The car is able to accelerate from 0–100 km/h (0–62 mph) in 3 seconds, with a maximum speed of 225 km/h (140 mph).The generators used to re-charge the batteries are powered byglycerine, a by-product of bio-diesel production (copied from wiki)

So by 2040 we may have electric cars able to do 500miles on a single full charge at 70mph & 0-60 in 4s.

There's also graphene. A discovery by Manchester university last decade. Still very much in it's infancy and I don't think they've mastered large scale production but the potential of this material is staggering.

wingy

Why can't they minimise the requirement to drain the battery on a long run and come up with a more sophisticated Scalextric continuous contact to the electricity supply for all motorway travel?

SkyblueBazza

Why can't they minimise the requirement to drain the battery on a long run and come up with a more sophisticated Scalextric continuous contact to the electricity supply for all motorway travel?
How would you overtake? Or do you mean like dodgem cars
That'd be fun!

Kingokings204

The government and now most in the industry have basically said they don't know how it will work. Costings and energy and supply. I honestly think they have just said it and hope it happens.

Sub

The government and now most in the industry have basically said they don't know how it will work. Costings and energy and supply. I honestly think they have just said it and hope it happens.

You are not far wrong there to be honest. There are so many unanswered questions about this idea the goverment have and nobody has the answers yet.......
One of the main issues is raw materials and thats why the US is looking at different ways to make the batteries because the goverments with the raw materials are charging an a hell of alot more to customers outside there country than to domestic users. Basically making that country like the saudis with all the oil and the US doesnt want that. (they want to be like the saudis)
Battery tecnology is not good enough and the weight of the things are so heavy that an HGV woul need a trailer full of batteries to drive from one end of the uk to the other so you would have a trailer full of battteries then a trailer full of goods it would then need 2 charging cables and a minimum of 16 hours to fully recharge it is just not viable at the moment..........

Last edited:

SkyblueBazza

You are not far wrong there to be honest. There are so many unanswered questions about this idea the goverment have and nobody has the answers yet.......
One of the main issues is raw materials and thats why the US is looking at different ways to make the batteries because the goverments with the raw materials are charging an a hell of alot more to customers outside there country than to domestic users. Basically making that country like the saudis with all the oil and the US doesnt want that. (they want to be like the saudis)
Battery tecnology is not good enough and the weight of the things are so heavy that an HGV woul need a trailer full of batteries to drive from one end of the uk to the other so you would have a trailer full of battteries then a trailer full of goods it would then need 2 charging cables and a minimum of 16 hours to fully recharge it is just not viable at the moment..........
Which country is this?

Captain Dart

Which explains why they are looking at convoys (road trains).

skybluetony176

Which country is this?

Bolivia mainly. Although lithium is common across the whole Andes mountain range. This is why saying electric cars that use lithium batteries is green is actually a big slice of BS. Lithium has a massive carbon footprint. First you have to get it down from the Andes, then you have to ship it as a raw material all around the world to where it's used to make batteries which is very often not where the equipment using the batteries are being manufactured. It quite often crosses the pacific twice before it even ends up in a product or across the pacific to Asia to be made into batteries before being shipped to Europe.

Sub

Bolivia mainly. Although lithium is common across the whole Andes mountain range. This is why saying electric cars that use lithium batteries is green is actually a big slice of BS. Lithium has a massive carbon footprint. First you have to get it down from the Andes, then you have to ship it as a raw material all around the world to where it's used to make batteries which is very often not where the equipment using the batteries are being manufactured. It quite often crosses the pacific twice before it even ends up in a product or across the pacific to Asia to be made into batteries before being shipped to Europe.

Exactly right China has something like 97% the rest is in russia and mongolia and like you say transporting it and mining it is the main issue and createss a massive carbon footprint bigger than any diesel or petrol vehicle. if they could stop HGV's, buses, coaches that would cut a massive amount gasses seen as for there number they produce 20% of harmful gasses on the planet !

skybluetony176

Exactly right China has something like 97% the rest is in russia and mongolia and like you say transporting it and mining it is the main issue and createss a massive carbon footprint bigger than any diesel or petrol vehicle. if they could stop HGV's, buses, coaches that would cut a massive amount gasses seen as for there number they produce 20% of harmful gasses on the planet !

Indeed. If you want to buy a car with a small carbon footprint buy something over ten years old, petrol and economical. There's nothing greener than recycling a car.

I'm surprised that London hasn't jumped on the tram revolution to get rid off buses. That would seem a good starting point to do something in London, like you say it gets one of the biggest offenders of the road and works well in places like Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham. At least two of those are expanding their network that I know of so it must be economically viable also.

fernandopartridge

Indeed. If you want to buy a car with a small carbon footprint buy something over ten years old, petrol and economical. There's nothing greener than recycling a car.

I'm surprised that London hasn't jumped on the tram revolution to get rid off buses. That would seem a good starting point to do something in London, like you say it gets one of the biggest offenders of the road and works well in places like Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham. At least two of those are expanding their network that I know of so it must be economically viable also.

The Manchester Metrolink is mostly just a replacement for heavy rail tbh, running on old railway alignments.

It doesn't replace any buses really but I think its electricity generators are 'green'.

Aren't the ridiculously expensive new London buses hybrids or electric?

skybluetony176

The Manchester Metrolink is mostly just a replacement for heavy rail tbh, running on old railway alignments.

It doesn't replace any buses really but I think its electricity generators are 'green'.

Aren't the ridiculously expensive new London buses hybrids or electric?

Last time I was in Manchester City centre (last year) they were doing loads of work building new station's and associated stuff.

I think the new buses are hybrid as will new black cabs be but getting back to the carbon footprint all they really do is shift the concentration of pollution around while creating added pollution to the world because of the batteries carbon footprint.

fernandopartridge

Last time I was in Manchester City centre (last year) they were doing loads of work building new station's and associated stuff.

I think the new buses are hybrid as will new black cabs be but getting back to the carbon footprint all they really do is shift the concentration of pollution around while creating added pollution to the world because of the batteries carbon footprint.

Yeah, it runs on the streets through town but generally reverts to old railway lines. I use it everyday, it's a decent system on the whole tbf and better than driving for me.

Agreed

SkyblueBazza

Ah so history repeats.

The major players in the west in particular wants something but doesn't want anywhere else to become equally prosperous from it. I sense wars...

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I'm too bleedin' old, but I reckon NOW is the time to buy lots of shares in Tesla and similar companies! Worth a small fortune in 20 years, I reckon!

Covstu

Ah so history repeats.

The major players in the west in particular wants something but doesn't want anywhere else to become equally prosperous from it. I sense wars...

Yep certainly another power shift...

Sub

With the raw materials. And what are these raw materials? And can you blame them?

Its China, Russia and Mongolia but mainly china (97% ish) this is why the USA is researching any way to make it without using the raw materials that the Russian and Chinese do not have

Users who are viewing this thread