Pick a decent league 2 team + Target signings

Discussion in 'Coventry City General Chat' started by JuFoster, Apr 16, 2017.

1. TasmanSeaSkyBlue

TasmanSeaSkyBlue Member

Get at it now! Do your research & be ready to sign players that will get us a good solid start in Div. Don't wait to see what's left looking for a job a couple of days before the season starts.

2. CCFC88

CCFC88 Well-Known Member

I really hope we can keep Stokes, play him at cb with Turnbull or any improvement on Turnbull and that is a high league 2 CB pairing.

We need to be set up at home to play with width and pace Haynes at LB and DKE at RB on a big, relatively well looked after pitch that a lot of L2 players wont be used to or wont be fit enough for. I love the idea of Haynes having a full season alongside Stokes, Stokes a very handy LB can talk Haynes through games, help with his decision making both defensively and going forward.

Away from home we need to be able to adapt and be hard to beat, a big man in the mould of Hanson from Bradford with G Thomas/Reid/Jones pushing forward beyond him.

I still think K Thomas has a role to play at the club and bigi has to start controlling games, or have someone next to him who can do that.

Willis & Stevenson I expect will be sold although at lower offers now than we could have got for them in the past, think G Thomas will also be subject to enquiries, would be interesting to know if RCC still commanding any interest, Id be looking to release either him or Burge, not a great deal to pick between them in my opinion

3. Adge

Adge Well-Known Member

Here's an idea-stick to playboy for the bedtime reading.

4. sw88

sw88 Chief Commentator!

Have I pissed on your chips at some point? :emoji_thinking:

5. Adge

Adge Well-Known Member

Na-just thought with my suggestion it might make bedtime a bit more fun?:shamefullyembarrased:

6. Sky Blue Harry H

Sky Blue Harry H Well-Known Member

Maybe forget Blair Turgott, I think he might be turning out for Wormwood Scrubs FC:oops:

7. skybluebeduff

skybluebeduff Well-Known Member

Very happy that you're clueless on football and will never become a manager.

8. steve82

steve82 Well-Known Member

Been up to no good has he?

9. Nick

Nick Administrator

He started making trouble in the neighbourhood.

steve82 likes this.
  10. steve82

Got in one little fight and his mom got scared.....

11. covcity4life

covcity4life Well-Known Member

and she said russel slades shit and has worst pts record of any manager this season

so i whistled for a cab.......

12. steve82

Creative, I like it

covcity4life likes this.
  13. JWC

JWC Active Member

Easy now. That's one hell of an insult.

I was just saying he should be in midfield, where he's played most of the season.

I'm not moving Haynes to rb or dke to cb either

14. covcity4life

g thomas plays attacking mid/support striker kinda role. winger who cuts in

centre mid is a no no for me

15. JWC

JWC Active Member

It's a division lower and most have been played out of position for a lot of the season by the useless Slade. I'm putting it down to this rather than lack of ability.

Robins has proved that if you play our players in the right positions we aren't that bad.

16. Edgey95

Edgey95 Active Member

Keep:GThomas, Bigi, Stevenson, Lameires, Jones, Haynes, Willis... Think Ruben could really develop in league 2 if hes given a decent chance, the same as Jones.

17. Adge

Adge Well-Known Member

Lack of ability for me squire. How long have we been waiting for Burge, Haynes,Willis,Bigi et al to perform consistently? If they can't do it in league 1 (which they haven't across 2-3 seasons) it's not going to happen.

18. Gazolba

Gazolba Well-Known Member

A. A solid goal-keeper (hint: we don't currently have one)
    B. A prolific goal-scorer
    Then 9 more players to help get it from A to B.

Lofty and sw88 like this.
  19. JWC

JWC Active Member

Good points well made, but I think I've seen enough improvements with these players with Robins in charge to give me faith for next season. Give them confidence and some tougher team mates around them and I think they'll kick on, especially against a poorer standard of opposition. I don't for one minute think that a lot of the players will even be here in August, or even live up to my expectations, but i sure as hell hope they do.

20. Adge

Adge Well-Known Member

Yes indeed-me too. Not sure how long more we can wait though. Next season they HAVE to deliver if they are still here as there will be no excuses at another level below.

21. JuFoster

JuFoster New Member

I think Stevenson will have a tough season in L2 if he stays. A player like Vincelot would help us a lot in that position.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score likes this.
  22. steve82

Stevenson will near on certainly be sold, staying in league two will impact his career badly, Willis too will likely move on and is not anywhere near captain material.
    Of the rest it's very lightweight side who you can only really say DKE, Haynes, G Thomas and stokes are worth extending with squad places available for DKE and Haynes to develop further as we ideally seek experience in them areas. Bigi I'm not convinced on again after going back to his inconsistent self and could be bullied out the game next year so is a risk. Lameries is not cut out for league two, so time to let go with Burge.
    The rest are under contract so it's a case of make use or try and shift on if MR don't like what he sees to try and make us more competitive physically like Reid and Turnbull. This was a major issue this year and Group of players were the core players involved.
    A new Xl required for next season or same issues will be there in league two with the same fate.
    Out of interest who's the "most have played out of position a lot" that isn't now under Mark Robins?

23. covcity4life

why is willis not captain material? just wondering

24. steve82

Nothing very commanding about him seems very quiet.
    On the pitch he's as quiet as a mouse never rally's his team mates or heard calling support for others.
    Never appeals to the officials for any decisions decisively.
    All the things you need a captain to do on the pitch, especially in league two.
    Do you think he is?

25. covcity4life

never thought much about it 1 way or the other. just know he lifted trophy so will be a captain i never forget lol

26. steve82

A likeable character and yes as you say lifted a trophy in our more modern history however not a commanding type that win decisions from officials that other teams will call for and get.
    The gulf between him and Nathan Clarke for example in the role is huge.

27. covcity4life

yeah but you are quite old fashioned in your views. we need a big man upfront, we need men not boys, we need to put it in row z not tiki taka etc

not that any of the above an inherintly incorrect or anything, but can see why you love clarke as captain

28. steve82

Don't get me wrong I like Willis but not as a captain.
    I've watched a lot of lower league football over the years, as much as I like tiki taka football, fast flowing passing it dont work at this level as the players generally ain't good enough to do it consistently or the pitch is simply against them. Tiki taka was not really a done thing years ago and only come on here because of the better pitches and technology in the upkeep.
    We wasn't playing this way generally before hence why the English leagues favoured a old fashioned 442 strong central defenders, dominant central midfielders, wingers who could beat his man and cross a perfect ball for a big centre forward or a lofted ball over the top for a fast striker to finish or a fox in the box poacher type.
    We now find ourselves going back in years in terms of pitches so you need to look at the right formulas.
    Its no coincidence the big strong physical sides are top of the league in this division.
    Next year your gonna need players who are strong mentally and physically, to grind results out as we will be seen as a big side.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    covcity4life likes this.