Pictures of Cov in the past and Coventry Pubs (2 Viewers)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I'll see how this goes. If anyone wants to see any pics from years gone by, then post a comment. I have nearly a thousand. Also I have nearly 250 pictures of Coventry pubs, some no longer with us or have had name changes.

duffer

You're going to get a lot of traffic HH. I'd go for Alhambra, Phoenix and Fletch if you've got anything. :)

Grendel

I'll start it off then. How about The Old Hall on Tamworth Road?

bringbackrattles

Any pictures of the Market Tavern and the Alhambra pubs that were in the city centre houch ?
I ask as they were two pubs I drank in for years.

musicmanskyblue

Hi H/H... Thank You for taking the time and trouble to do this...

I would love to see any Pictures You may have of the Climax pub by the bird cage, The Bear near broadgate and the Cross.. Used to have some great rock disco's in those places back in the 70,s..

bringbackrattles

Hi H/H... Thank You for taking the time and trouble to do this...

I would love to see any Pictures You may have of the Climax pub by the bird cage, The Bear near broadgate and the Cross.. Used to have some great rock disco's in those places back in the 70,s..
I too used to frequent the Bear in the High street,it's now a boring bank.I was only about sixteen but they had progressive rock on and loved it,and also at the Colin Campbell upstairs.Remember downstairs in the Dive bar ? great days !

Houchens Head

The Alhambra:

The Specials:

The Silver Sword:

Parsons Nose:

Beech Tree Cafe, Pool Meadow:

musicmanskyblue

I too used to frequent the Bear in the High street,it's now a boring bank.I was only about sixteen but they had progressive rock on and loved it,and also at the Colin Campbell upstairs.Remember downstairs in the Dive bar ? great days !

Remember it well BBR... Then on to the Lanch for the late bar... Great day's indeed...

Houchens Head

Court Yard (Wasn't this where the Bear was?)

Market Tavern (Not the best of pictures!)

Colin Campbell

Bug & Black Bat (Formally the Climax)

TheAcorn

Alhambra

Lady Godiva

Coventry Cross

Golden Cross

Houchens Head

Houch bet you ain't got where we were born the Gulson hospital ? See if you've got a picture of my parents trying to smother me with a pillow on the ward !

Like it BBR! I'll see what I can find........... don't hold yer breath though!

Samo

What was that dodgy old boozer that was opposite the Apollo?
And how about the one down City Arcade where Argos is now?

bringbackrattles

Like it BBR! I'll see what I can find........... don't hold yer breath though!
Great to see these pics again bringing back memories.the Bear was along a bit and it's now a bank.As for the Acorn I drank in there for a few years loved the pub.But I lost the plot in there one night and got 18 months prison ! I deserved it though but my mates said I ruined the happy hour !

musicmanskyblue

I think You might be right.. I was referring to the large pub on the main street.. Looked like an old bank... I think it might be near the courtyard.. I always knew it as The bear but it may have been called something different.. Few yards down from peeping tom, on the same side..

Maybe Bringbackrattles can elaborate and remember more about it...

Last edited:

bringbackrattles

I think You might be right.. I was referring to the large pub on the main street.. Looked like an old bank... I think it might be near the courtyard.. I always knew it as The bear but it may have been called something different.. Few yards down from peeping tom, on the same side..

The Courtyard used to be called the Rose and Crown. But the Bear which is now Barclay's bank was where the music was played. Bit confusing I know as they were close together.

Porkchophill

I'll see how this goes. If anyone wants to see any pics from years gone by, then post a comment. I have nearly a thousand. Also I have nearly 250 pictures of Coventry pubs, some no longer with us or have had name changes.

How about the Winnall or the zoo as it was known locally and the Swanswell

Houchens Head

A load of us would meet in the Tavern have a few in there,then down to the Thistle for a few more,then the Jag to round it off. But then on again to Tiffany's (old Locarno) for some more !

I must have bumped into you many times BBR! I was always either in the Tavern, upstairs in Woolies caff, the jag and I also got barred from the Thistle! Happy days! :claping hands:

Houchens Head

Wasn't Dick's Wine Bar nearby as well? It was in the High Street.

bringbackrattles

I must have bumped into you many times BBR! I was always either in the Tavern, upstairs in Woolies caff, the jag and I also got barred from the Thistle! Happy days! :claping hands:
Me and you will be on that programme that reunites people with Nicky Campbell ! Got involved in lots of bovver though in the town in the 70's and 80's.It was a typical weekend in Cov to have a scrap with some other pissed up prat,(that was me) but have a drink with him the next weekend. The Tavern was a wild pub some Saturday's it was like a John Wayne western,and when the coppers turned up with one or two bodies sparked out on the floor,everybody would carry on if it was a normal night !

olderskyblue

Houch bet you ain't got where we were born the Gulson hospital ? See if you've got a picture of my parents trying to smother me with a pillow on the ward !

I'm now expecting to see a picture of this, with a queue of other mothers all waiting to have a go at smothering him too, Airplane style :)

Houchens Head

Me and you will be on that programme that reunites people with Nicky Campbell ! Got involved in lots of bovver though in the town in the 70's and 80's.It was a typical weekend in Cov to have a scrap with some other pissed up prat,(that was me) but have a drink with him the next weekend. The Tavern was a wild pub some Saturday's it was like a John Wayne western,and when the coppers turned up with one or two bodies sparked out on the floor,everybody would carry on if it was a normal night !

What I loved about the Tavern was, you could go in skint and come out pissed! There was always someone who would get you a pint in! They always knew you would return the favour when you had the cash!

olderskyblue

The pub down the arcade was the Thistle.

A couple of my mates were regulars in the thistle early 70's, short hair, jeans and bovver boots types they were, which fitted in well with the pub at that time, and as a bit of a hippy, it made for an interesting time when I popped in to see them...especially if they hadn't got there yet....!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread