Pictures of Cov in the past and Coventry Pubs (3 Viewers)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Fairfax St Subway 2.jpg
Love the pictures Houh, really brings back some memories. Remeber going swimming on a Saturday at the baths and either going to Fishy Moores or the cafe in Pool Meadow afterwards.

Does anyone else remeber the underpasses that used to be all around Coventry. Am sure one of them used to come up in the lower floor of Owen Owen. If I remeber correctly they were all around Broadgate but then suddenly disappered.
There was a "subway" under Lady Godiva clock as well. You had to use it to cross Hertford St, a really busy junction! Also one went from the cathedral side of Trinity Street and came out at Owen Owens. Oh, and the one that ran under Fairfax St by the Pool Meadow entrance.

RedSalmon

View attachment 6309
There was a "subway" under Lady Godiva clock as well. You had to use it to cross Hertford St, a really busy junction! Also one went from the cathedral side of Trinity Street and came out at Owen Owens. Oh, and the one that ran under Fairfax St by the Pool Meadow entrance.

Fantastic picture Houch............that really brings back some memories.

Seem to remember that the one that came out in the lower ground floor of Owen Owens had light brown tiles on the walls. They all seemed to disappear one day!!!!

Houchens Head

Fantastic picture Houch............that really brings back some memories.

Seem to remember that the one that came out in the lower ground floor of Owen Owens had light brown tiles on the walls. They all seemed to disappear one day!!!!
You're right. There were two exits (or entrances, depending which way you were heading!). One came out at the basement of Owen Owen Store but you could also turn right just there and come out at the top of Ironmonger Row. (see pic in post above).

Sky_Blue_Daz

Love this thread
My parents were in the pub trade in Coventry for almost 20 years
They ran the Hope and anchor, the climax and The admiral codrington
Bless them they worked really hard
My dad was a very old school pub gaffer
The sold the cod in 1994 but I had some great memories
They used to only have a Wednesday night off but when I got to roughly 17 my dad used to take me on a little pub crawl from the cod to the stag into the Smithfield up to Cassidys then to the town wall or the town crier

He knew lot of the gaffers in and around Coventry and there was a certain cameraderie from most of them
My dad is a gentleman and I never heard him say a wrong word about any of them but to this day he can't say a nice word about Ken Brown

A few of my relatives have had pubs and clubs too my brother ran the 3 horse shoes on the stoney Stanton road 91/92ish, other brother has ran numerous pubs and clubs including the coronation club in keresly

Auntie and uncle ran the zodiac and generations when it opened ( cracking club)
Another auntie and uncle ran the peacock late 70s early 80s

I much prefer being the other side of the bar

Houchens Head

Love this thread
They used to only have a Wednesday night off but when I got to roughly 17 my dad used to take me on a little pub crawl from the cod to the stag into the Smithfield up to Cassidys then to the town wall or the town crier

He knew lot of the gaffers in and around Coventry and there was a certain cameraderie from most of them
My dad is a gentleman and I never heard him say a wrong word about any of them but to this day he can't say a nice word about Ken Brown

A few of my relatives have had pubs and clubs too my brother ran the 3 horse shoes on the stoney Stanton road 91/92ish, other brother has ran numerous pubs and clubs including the coronation club in keresly

I have almost 300 pics of Cov pubs. If there's any you want to see, let me know and I'll stick them on here (if I have the ones you want!)

MickM

Houch you ever know of any butchers shop called Botterills any where in cov late 60 70s mate
Hi Dan I seem to remember botterills the butchers from my childhood, I did a search and there was a Botterills pharmacy in Nuneaton the founder passed away in 2013 she was born in 1914 and lived behind the families butcher shop in Windmill Road Foleshill I can't find any more information than that, I do know someone called Bottrill but have not seen him since your first post on this Any more info I get I will post

Houchens Head

Hi Dan I seem to remember botterills the butchers from my childhood, I did a search and there was a Botterills pharmacy in Nuneaton the founder passed away in 2013 she was born in 1914 and lived behind the families butcher shop in Windmill Road Foleshill I can't find any more information than that, I do know someone called Bottrill but have not seen him since your first post on this Any more info I get I will post
I agree MickM. That was about all I found out as well.

RedSalmon

I seem to remember a guy who i worked with who was called Botterill. I know he lived down Windmill Road and am pretty sure his dad used to be a butcher. By the time I knew him I think the shop had closed and they were living in it. He got his dad an ex company van as well if I remeber correctly. Its a good while back but think his name was Pete.

eastwoodsdustman

View attachment 6309

Even now, just looking at the photo reminds me of the stench of piss that you got as you walked through that subway.

duffer

Love this thread

Gutted that I never made it into the Codrington, Daz, it always looked like a brilliant pub from the outside but I just never made it into that part of town. The in-laws from Cheylesmore remember it with affection though, so your old man must've been getting something right. :)

skybluedan

I would appreciate it man

Captain Dart

Lots of relevant material on this twitter feed.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Gutted that I never made it into the Codrington, Daz, it always looked like a brilliant pub from the outside but I just never made it into that part of town. The in-laws from Cheylesmore remember it with affection though, so your old man must've been getting something right. :)
Cheers duffer there were people from all over the city who considered the cod their local
They used to get a real good mix of clientele and in all the years growing up there I only remember 3 scuffles and he only barred 2 lads, bearing in mind Coventry city centre mid 80s to 94 could be dodgy that was quite an impressive record
The only thing that let the pub down was as it was an Ansells pub they couldn't sell Carling

I remember someone giving me dad a bit of stick for retiring at 55 but he said he'd worked 18 hours a day 6 and a half days a week for 20 years so he was entitled to retire when he liked

georgehudson

Top drawer stuff HH; The Bear Inn on the High St was, an old coaching Inn, way back, but in the 70's the back room u/stairs was a rock/prog rock venue called Chums, next door to the Bear was Waters Wine Bar. Also in the rock vein was the Colin Campbell, The Humber Hotel, & the Plough on the London Rd

dutchman

The whitmore and the radford
article-2004156-0C96F2D900000578-385_638x435.jpg

radford.jpg

Nick

Administrator
I wonder why, because alcohol drunk per person has hardly changed in my lifetime: http://www.ias.org.uk/uploads/fs4-consumption-1 NEW web extended.pdf

Any publicans got any ideas?

I wonder if Coffee shops and "whats cool" has taken over? If I had suggested meeting at a coffee shop to my mates I'd have never lived it down.

When I was 17 / 18 it would be meet at the pub, play pool, watch football etc. We would have games of killer that went on hours, or round the board on darts etc for a quid each and the whole pub would be in pretty much.

Also, I guess the smoking ban didn't help and things you hear about breweries etc making it hard to make any money.

beer%20tax%20cover.png

Houchens Head

Those were the days when you could get absolutely smashed outta your head for a quid! My kids won't believe me when I tell them I bought my first pint for 10½p! That was in the Summerland Tavern down the Butts.
:emoji_laughing:

Nick

Administrator
10p a pint, absolutely smashed off a pound! How much was a woo woo?

I think pubs have to be more than a pub now don't they? Food / Sports / Upmarket Bars etc.

Houchens Head

10p a pint, absolutely smashed off a pound! How much was a woo woo?

I think pubs have to be more than a pub now don't they? Food / Sports / Upmarket Bars etc.
What's a "Woo Woo"? Us old buggers can't keep up! o_O

Liquid Gold

I think a big part of it is that supermarkets don't have to pay duty, or some such tax, on booze so they are able to sell significantly cheaper than pubs. More people are just drinking at home.

Users who are viewing this thread