player ratings vs shrewsbury town (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

murphy 5 - poor kicking,lacked urgency, his achillies heel is giving up rebounds and he did again today however im not if he could have done anything different,will wait for the replay

adams - 7 - dealt with his man well defensivly and got forward alot

wood - 5 - was great first half but the descended into "old" wood and his silly headers that always surrender possession

edge - 6 - giving a torrid time by the big man but did ok

christie - 3 - worst cov player on pitch, didnt attack enough, never crosses earlier enough and reluctant to make simple passes,cost us the goal by giving the ball away on half way line

jennings 5 - huffed and puffed but had little presence

moussa - 5 - did a sammy clingan impression today, offered little going forward i felt

fleck - 7 - battled well and some superb passing range he has,shouldnt have been subbed imo

baker - 6 - missed alot of chances and crossing was poor

mcshffrey 6 - started great and nearly scored a wonder goal but that miss really let everyone down and he was crap after

mcgoldrick - 5 - couldnt hold the ball up and didnt seem to win a header.shame

leon clarke - 6- looked a presence,unlucky not to score

bailey 6 -didnt have much time but i hope he starts next game as he does the basics right

barton - 4 - poor cameo.

overall id give the team 6/10 and we should have won by 3-4, i guess thats a good thing

SkyBlue_Bear83

Murphy-6-Couldn't do much with the goal, did well to play on after injury
Adams-6-Did ok, feel he is a bit overrate by some of our supporters
Edge and Wood -6- Did ok, had an awkward opponent with the big number 10
Sheff 4- Actually think he did ok, the rating is a complete knee jerk reaction to the chance he missed, effectively costing us the game
Jennings 4- Was garbage, can't control a ball or pass
Fleck 7-One of the better performers, good passing an a good work rate in midfield
Mouss 6- Didn't get into the game much
Mcgoldrick 5- Didn't have a much of a sniff all game, you would have to think if one of Bakers or Sheffs chances had dropped to him, he would have put it away

Clarke -6- Looks dangerous an like he has a goal in him, good replacement imo
Bailey -6- Glad he is back, would have him come in for jennings
Barton 5- Showed today why is the worse header of the ball to play for the club with two free headers that went in the total wrong direction and to a Shrews player (Before anyone jumps on me i.e SkyBlueTaylor I know Barton didn't have any time to influence the game today, I am simply poking fun at his heading)

We have major problems playing at home, we need it sorted before we can make play offs

Sutty

Murphy - 6 - Harsh to blame him for the goal, first save was a blinder.

Christie - 5 - Gave the ball away a lot, doesn't look confident.
Wood - 5 - Battered by Marvin Morgan.
Edjenguele - 5 - See above.
Adams - 7 - Man of the match. Some good crosses, got forward well. Defended well against their best player.

Jennings - 6 - Did a decent job, unlucky to be subbed.
Fleck - 6 - Another unlucky to be subbed, played some good passes. Didn't think the deeper role would suit him but he seems a bit fitter and more mobile now.

McSheffrey - 6 - Loses a point for the open goal miss. Otherwise was our most threatening player. Calls for him to be dropped or sold on CWR are ludicrous.
Moussa - 5 - Started brightly but faded, especially when moved deeper. Should have been subbed rather than Fleck/Jennings.
Baker - 5 - A poor game from him, though Christie being so poor didn't help.

McGoldrick - 4 - His worst game for us. Spent the whole game in Grandison's pocket, his back-heel out of play summed up his day.

Subs:

Clarke - 6 - Put himself about and was unlucky not to score. A few good runs on the last shoulder. Occupied the same space as McGoldrick too often though.
Bailey - 5 - Did ok, no real need to bring him on.
Barton - 5 - Didn't have much time, but didn't make any tangible impact.

Unfortunately, I think some criticism has to be levelled at Robins for this one. He fell into the trap of wanting to get Clarke and McGoldrick onto the pitch, and ceded control of the midfield to do so. The switch to 4-4-2 killed us even more so than the missed chances.

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Has to be time for Jordan Clarke to get a shot at RB?

Otis

CC4L

Murphy 5 - poor kicking,lacked urgency, his achillies heel is giving up rebounds and he did again today however im not if he could have done anything different,will wait for the replay.

Disagree. thought it was a stunning save. Nowt he could do.

6 from me.

Adams - 7 - dealt with his man well defensivly and got forward alot.

Agree. thought he was very good.

Wood - 5 - was great first half but the descended into "old" wood and his silly headers that always surrender possession.

Thought he did okay. always prone to a few errors though. 6 for me.

Edge - 6 - giving a torrid time by the big man but did ok.

Would agree with that.

Christie - 3 - worst cov player on pitch, didnt attack enough, never crosses earlier enough and reluctant to make simple passes,cost us the goal by giving the ball away on half way line.

He was poor. Would give him a 4.

Jennings 5 - huffed and puffed but had little presence

Thought he was very good first half, but faded. Seems to happen quite a lot with him. Bit of a worry.

Moussa - 5 - did a sammy clingan impression today, offered little going forward i felt.

Thought he was good first half. Faded second. 6 from me.

Fleck - 7 - battled well and some superb passing range he has,shouldnt have been subbed imo

Disagree. Thought he was excellent and poor in equal measure. some great passing, but defensively very poor (marking, tackling and tracking and his ball watching when they had the ball rather than getting involved).

I would have taken him off earlier. 6.

Baker - 6 - missed alot of chances and crossing was poor.

Poor game for me. 5. Missed a very good chance first half

McSheffrey 6 - started great and nearly scored a wonder goal but that miss really let everyone down and he was crap after.

MOTM first half. Faded as the match wore on and missed pretty much a sitter.

McGoldrick - 5 - couldnt hold the ball up and didnt seem to win a header.shame

Struggled. 6

covcity4life

CC4L

Murphy 5 - poor kicking,lacked urgency, his achillies heel is giving up rebounds and he did again today however im not if he could have done anything different,will wait for the replay.

6 from me.

Wood - 5 - was great first half but the descended into "old" wood and his silly headers that always surrender possession.

Would agree with that.

Christie - 3 - worst cov player on pitch, didnt attack enough, never crosses earlier enough and reluctant to make simple passes,cost us the goal by giving the ball away on half way line.

Thought he was very good first half, but faded. Seems to happen quite a lot with him. Bit of a worry.

Moussa - 5 - did a sammy clingan impression today, offered little going forward i felt.

Fleck - 7 - battled well and some superb passing range he has,shouldnt have been subbed imo

Disagree. Thought he was excellent and poor in equal measure. some great passing, but defensively very poor (marking, tackling and tracking and his ball watching when they had the ball rather than getting involved).

McSheffrey 6 - started great and nearly scored a wonder goal but that miss really let everyone down and he was crap after.

Struggled. 6

I hsvnt judged Murphy for the goal mate

Otis

I know.

Was just saying that he could do nothing for that goal. Was a brilliant save from him.

Murphy -6
Did pull off some cracking saves but his long ball distribution was poor. I'd love for him just to play it simple to the rb or lb and retain possession.

Christie -5 was just unlucky bad day at the office but he's only human. Stick with him!

Wood -6 just average, nothing special.

Edge -5 poor today, their big man up front gave him a torrid time.

Adams- 8 played well today for me. Got up the line well and showed no fear when attacking. Sign him up!

Baker -5 another player who had a bad day. Nothing seemed to go his way but he stuck at it.

Fleck -7 did well first half, good quality passing and vision.

Jennings -6 nothing special for him. Did the graft, largely unnoticed, which is what we want from him.

Macca -5 first half played ok, cracking shot second half our worst player for me. He looked scared to cross the ball and always played it back to Blair to play it in, kept get sucked into the middle of the park. Time for a change

Moussa -5 largely unnoticed, I didn't really understand his position today, did he have a free role? Much like baker not a lot went his way today.

McGoldrick -5 poor by his standards, but he's only human.

skybluegod

I've got to say wood was my man of the match he was the only reason we didn't concede a couple in the first half. And I don't know where you got the thing about headers from? Are you sure that wasn't Barton?

cloughie

I would have to say that wood referted back during the 2nd half to the give it away cheaply mode with poor distribution and christie is looking like it's time to step down for a while.

As for murphy, I am not one of the moaners about him but did dither when urgency was needed and even though his biggest fault is pushing the ball back into play, yet how anyone blame him for the goal it was a brilliant save first time.

Last edited:

stupot07

Murphy - 7- Made some good saves and could o nothing about the goal, however doesn't show enough urgency with his distribution

Christie - 4 - poor defensively and poor attacking. Seems to have lost confidence and Jo making too many bad decisions. Needs to be taken out the firing line.

Wood and Edge - 5 - mixed bag, Shrewsbury's attackers movement caused problems for out central defenders, got drawn into hoofing it too often at times, especially last 20 mins of the first half.

Adams - 7 - one of our best performers today, solid in defence kept Shrews danger man Taylor very quiet, and attacked with purpose. He and sheff have a good understanding and the left hand side was our only outlet today. MOTM

Baker - 5 - the captain was anonymous today bar a couple of pot shots. Created very little.

Jennings - 5 - huffed and puffed but looked lost without bailey. Often the furthest forward out of the central midfield two

Fleck - 6 - good on the ball, poor off it. He sprayed numerous nice passes around, however was often too deep, or out of position, doesn't track midfield runners when defending. He was. Often the deepest midfielder and which meant we missed Baileys drive.

Sheffers - 7 - missed a sitter but was by far our brightest attacker, linked up well with adams, made runs behind McGoldrick, had a couple of decent efforts and put in a number of good crosses, alway willing to pick the ball up in midfield and drive forward

Moussa - 6 - typical Moussa display flits in and out of matches, did some good things especially when we were on the front foot. Disappeared once he dropped in the deeper role.

McGoldrick - 5 - started off like a man possessed nearly scoring in the first 5 mins, however got frustrated and started coming too deep to get on the ball. Not sure he and Clarke will be able to play together as they seem to occupy the same space.

Subs

Clarke - 6 - 2 great chances and unlucky not to score on debut, didn't really offer much but we seemed reluctant to cross the ball until too late.

Bailey - 6 - brought a bit of energy int the midfield, should've come on at half time for fleck.

Barton - 4 - poor

skybluegod

I would have to say that wood referted back during the 2nd half to the give it away cheaply mode with poor distribution and christie is looking like it's time to step down for a while.

As for murphy, I am not one of the moaners about him but did dither when urgency was needed and even though his biggest fault is pushing the ball back into play, yet how anyone blame him for the goal it was a brilliant save first time.
Murphy seemed urgent to me he ran to get the ball when ever the ball went out of play

glamour76

A lot of people moaning about murphys distribution today. I think the problem comes from not having a target. Our midfield today was fleck, Jennings , mouse bakes & mcshufty. With mcgoldrick up top, we have no targets to hit. Hopefully Clarke can change this

Mucca Mad Boys

Murphy 7
Christie 4 - 4th shit game in a row, unacceptable, bring Clarke in for Spurs. Shit going forward and defending, which exposed Wood
Wood 6 - exposed because Christie couldn't do his duties
Edj 6
Adams 7 - good performance, good going forward and contained their RM Taylor.
Baker 5 - decent 1st half, annomynous for the rest.
Jennings 6 - did his job well
Fleck 8 - ran the midfield, picked out some tasty passes, it all went wrong when he got took off, Moussa also stopped playing because Fleck got took off.
Sheff 5 - like Baker, good 1st half, unlucky with a near-screamer, but otherwise was disappointing, how the fuck did he miss that open goal.
Moussa 6 - played well until Fleck came off
McG 5 - not the way he'd like to end his CCFC career (assuming he doesn't resign)

Subs
Clarke 6 - he would've got a 7 had he got a goal, looked sharp, always on the shoulder of the CB, looked threatening.
Bailey 6 - should've started, didn't have time to do anything, his rating should be N/A
Barton 5 - same as Bailey, looked good on the ball, but wrecked it with 2 pathetic header attempts! Just chest it down lad! People are being a tad harsh.

MR 5 - our star player didn't perform today, took off the man who was running the show, changed to 4-4-2 where we struggled. Disappointing, hope he gives the players a bollocking, I don't care if we should've won, we didn't, and it is an acceptable to hand Shrewsbury their 1st away win of the season, especially after the teams we beat over the Christmas period!

Moff

CC4L

6 from me.

Would agree with that.

Struggled. 6

Otis,

Pretty much agree with your ratings. Thought Cyrus was poor and conceded possession far too easily prior to their goal.

I thought Fleck was in and out and that at times he can appear to be a luxury, but then as soon as he went off we lost control of the midfield.

Mucca Mad Boys

Fleck ran the midfield, I was hesitant whether to give him an 8, but you look at how badly we played when he went off, you can underestimate his influence. Not a luxury player, last 2 games has been arguably our best player.

Grendel

Murphy 7
Christie 4 - 4th shit game in a row, unacceptable, bring Clarke in for Spurs. Shit going forward and defending, which exposed Wood
Edj 6
Fleck 8 - ran the midfield, picked out some tasty passes, it all went wrong when he got took off, Moussa also stopped playing because Fleck got took off.
Sheff 5 - like Baker, good 1st half, unlucky with a near-screamer, but otherwise was disappointing, how the feck did he miss that open goal.
McG 5 - not the way he'd like to end his CCFC career (assuming he doesn't resign)

Subs
Clarke 6 - he would've got a 7 had he got a goal, looked sharp, always on the shoulder of the CB, looked threatening.
Bailey 6 - should've started, didn't have time to do anything, his rating should be N/A
Barton 5 - same as Bailey, looked good on the ball, but wrecked it with 2 pathetic header attempts! Just chest it down lad! People are being a tad harsh.

MR 5 - our star player didn't perform today, took off the man who was running the show, changed to 4-4-2 where we struggled. Disappointing, hope he gives the players a bollocking, I don't care if we should've won, we didn't, and it is an acceptable to hand Shrewsbury their 1st away win of the season, especially after the teams we beat over the Christmas period!

Fleck 8 you really know nothing about football do you? Thanks for the laugh though.

Grendel

Fleck ran the midfield, I was hesitant whether to give him an 8, but you look at how badly we played when he went off, you can underestimate his influence. Not a luxury player, last 2 games has been arguably our best player.

We had more chances when he was withdrawn. Defensively he is a disaster - does he comprehend he needs to follow players back when the opposition have the ball?

Mucca Mad Boys

Fleck 8 you really know nothing about football do you? Thanks for the laugh though.

With all due respect Grendel, you have made your mind up on him so your opinions are usually 'blinkered' when it comes to judgements on Fleck. You are one of the most cynical of posters on here (not saying that's necessarily a bad thing).

8 seems a bit high, I would go for a 7.5 but why? Makes it more complicated than it has to be. Whether I had gave 7 or 8, he was still our best player on the day. The midfield, who had been playing well, went to shit! Moussa cannot play as a CM in a 4-4-2 OR even a (more) defensive 2 man CM.

Mucca Mad Boys

We had more chances when he was withdrawn. Defensively he is a disaster - does he comprehend he needs to follow players back when the opposition have the ball?

Defensively, he isn't great, but that's why he should be playing in a 'free role' behind the striker. Not CM, Moussa should also go on the left, swapping occasionally with Fleck, Bailey and Jennings at CM, Baker on the right.

Grendel

Defensively, he isn't great, but that's why he should be playing in a 'free role' behind the striker. Not CM, Moussa should also go on the left, swapping occasionally with Fleck, Bailey and Jennings at CM, Baker on the right.

Ah of course no mcsheffrey - you're single agenda as usual.

Grendel

stupot07

Murphy 7
Edj 6
Sheff 5 - like Baker, good 1st half, unlucky with a near-screamer, but otherwise was disappointing, how the feck did he miss that open goal.

Subs

Fleck an 8, yet sheff our biggest attacking threat thoughout the match a 5?

Sorry Taylor but that is absolute tosh, fleck had a decent game with the ball but a poor one without it.

Mucca Mad Boys

Ah of course no mcsheffrey - you're single agenda as usual.

No McSheff? Yep, why would you start him?

Fleck has more assists more goals, and the last 2 games, has been a better player. In fact, McSheff was shit v MKD, but got an assist, fair play, had a good 1st half today, played shit 2nd. I have to admit, McSheff has been playing above expectations and I have admitted he has impressed me with his assists, but he isn't scoring enough and he missed an open goal for crying out loud by trying to be a clever fucker!!!

skybluegod

Fleck seemed alright defensively to me today he got in some good tackles and interceptions sure a couple of mistake but it is only his second start in a while.

I agree with you for once SBT once we lost fleck the midfield fell apart and we lost control of the match

stupot07

No McSheff? Yep, why would you start him?

Fleck has more assists more goals, and the last 2 games, has been a better player. In fact, McSheff was shit v MKD, but got an assist, fair play, had a good 1st half today, played shit 2nd. I have to admit, McSheff has been playing above expectations and I have admitted he has impressed me with his assists, but he isn't scoring enough and he missed an open goal for crying out loud by trying to be a clever fecker!!!

Fleck doesn't have more goals they both have 2.

skybluegod

Only if the agenda is correct which I always am.

Mcsheff brings work rate yes but he doesn't bring anything else to the team he had one good moment today when he cut inside and shot which was unlucky but otherwise he was shit. He got an assist against mk but was shit otherwise, and he did nothing against Stevenage he should not be in the first team at this time

Mucca Mad Boys

Fleck an 8, yet sheff our biggest attacking threat thoughout the match a 5?

Sorry Taylor but that is absolute tosh, fleck had a decent game with the ball but a poor one without it.

He missed an open goal, he failed, as per, in his defensive duties, thankfully Adams more than coped.

Down the left, Adams was more of a threat, put in good crosses and cut in to have shots, the real Adams. McSheffrey was good 1st half, probably a 7 at this point, but 2nd half, about a 5 and because he missed an open goal, I stuck with 5.

Say what you like about Fleck, everyone is entitled to an opinion on how football should be played, but the midfield dominated in the 1st half, caught on the break a couple of times, and Fleck was at the centre of that, switching play, playing tasty passes for Adams to latch on, he also let Moussa and McSheffrey go forward, and in McSheffrey's case, cut in. When Fleck got substituted, the whole midfield's performances dropped, Moussa weren't getting forward, McSheff weren't cutting in, there wasn't much. We had to resort to crossing it in to McG or Clarke.

When Clarke came on, he was our biggest threat.

stupot07

Mcsheff brings work rate yes but he doesn't bring anything else to the team he had one good moment today when he cut inside and shot which was unlucky but otherwise he was shit. He got an assist against mk but was shit otherwise, and he did nothing against Stevenage he should not be in the first team at this time

Sorry but that is tosh. He put numerous crosses on, hit the bar, and worked created a couple of openings for adams in the first half. In the second he put that cross in for clarke header that went narrowly wide, also provided the cross when clarke effort was cleared off the line, shit another great shot where McGoldrick nearly scored from the rebound. He was always driving forward and was a constant threat on the left hand side with Adams.

It was an awful miss but overall he was our biggest attacking threat today. Baker on the other hand was gash.

Grendel

Who was more effective today - baker or mcsheffrey?

stupot07

He missed an open goal, he failed, as per, in his defensive duties, thankfully Adams more than coped.

Down the left, Adams was more of a threat, put in good crosses and cut in to have shots, the real Adams. McSheffrey was good 1st half, probably a 7 at this point, but 2nd half, about a 5 and because he missed an open goal, I stuck with 5.

Say what you like about Fleck, everyone is entitled to an opinion on how football should be played, but the midfield dominated in the 1st half, caught on the break a couple of times, and Fleck was at the centre of that, switching play, playing tasty passes for Adams to latch on, he also let Moussa and McSheffrey go forward, and in McSheffrey's case, cut in. When Fleck got substituted, the whole midfield's performances dropped, Moussa weren't getting forward, McSheff weren't cutting in, there wasn't much. We had to resort to crossing it in to McG or Clarke.

When Clarke came on, he was our biggest threat.

No the midfield dominated the first 25 mins of the first half, we then reverted to long ball for the remainder of the half.

Users who are viewing this thread