Pogba Overpriced (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

So it looks like Pogba will fetch 100 million in the transfer market. How on earth is he worth that much ? But it got me thinking what players from the past would cost that amount if they were playing today ? I reckon Jimmy Greaves for a start,and George Best too,and as all teams want the best keeper Gordon Banks as well.And our very own Tommy Hutchison would cost a lot in my opinion.Anymore ?

Terry Gibson's perm

Even Graham Withey would have been worth £50 in this current market;)

vow

Zidane, I understand he went for crazy money before too, but would fetch even more in today's market.

vow

So it looks like Pogba will fetch 100 million in the transfer market. How on earth is he worth that much ? But it got me thinking what players from the past would cost that amount if they were playing today ? I reckon Jimmy Greaves for a start,and George Best too,and as all teams want the best keeper Gordon Banks as well.And our very own Tommy Hutchison would cost a lot in my opinion.Anymore ?
Couldn't imagine the price van Basten or Jimmy Greaves would be, such natural finishers.

Terry Gibson's perm

Goal scorers will always fetch good money Terry Gibson and Dion Dublin also Alan Shearer but so would Trevor Peake and David Phillips in other positions.

Imagine trying to value John Barnes, Ian Rush or Souness all better than Pogba.
Glenn Hoddle would have been worth more than Pogba

bringbackrattles

Couldn't imagine the price van Basten or Jimmy Greaves would be, such natural finishers.
I recall watching Charlie Cooke play when he was at Chelsea,and Ian Storey Moore for Forest at Highfield Road,both great wingers. They had the lot and any team today would splash out for them both.

vow

I recall watching Charlie Cooke play when he was at Chelsea,and Ian Storey Moore for Forest at Highfield Road,both great wingers. They had the lot and any team today would splash out for them both.
A little before my time, so had to google 'em, haha.

Marty

The transfer market has gone crazy the last few years. Over 50 million for a top player seems to be the going rate on this.

Juventus have already replaced Pogba by signing the just as good Pjanic for a fraction of the £100mill Man Utd have paid.

Gazolba

Marc Overmars, Andrei Kanchelskis.

bringbackrattles

SkyBlue_Bear83

Football market has gone crazy
Sadio Mane going for well over 30 million
Jordan Ibe £15 million
Team bidding close to £30 million for Troy Deeney

Looks like the going rate for a crap premier league player is minimum £15 million now if he's under 30.

Terry Gibson's perm

There seem to be less transfers but the players are moving for more money. I can see the top 7 or 8 teams being miles ahead of the rest.

vow

Jordan Ibe £15 million

Looks like the going rate for a crap premier league player is minimum £15 million now if he's under 30.
Brad Smith to Bournemouth from Liverpool to a certain extent also, £3M, made 12 first team apps and 7 of those were for Swindon 2 years ago (according to wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Smith_(footballer,_born_1994))
9 International caps also.

CCFC88

Maradona, Gascoigne. Both way better than Pogba.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Pogba is 23, to compare his 3/4 years of professional football, the majority of which has been played in Italy and you have seen him play in the Champions League a handful of time, to a career of Maradona and Gazza is ridiculous.

At 23 Gazza had played 6 times for England and won nothing with Spurs or Newcastle, Pogba has played 38 times for France including a Euro final, won 4 Serie A's and been runner up in the Champs League.

You cant compare era's and you cant compare a players career with that of a 23 year old.

Compare like for like at 23

Highest
Pogba (100m 2016)
Intl caps 38
League titles 4
Champs League RU
Euro 16 RU

2nd highest
Bale (85.3m 2013)
Intl caps 38 (all in qualifying)
League cup runner up

3rd highest
C Ronaldo (80m 2009)
Intl caps 61
League titles 2
FA Cup 1

I'd suggest 100m is about right in todays market.

Is it silly money for United to spend? When you look at the commercial side, the millions of Pogba shirts that United will sell worldwide, probably not.

Captain Dart

Cleared by Juve for a medical at you know where.

fernandopartridge

Jordan Ibe £15 million

This is just simple economics, if you increase the money supply (i.e. through the bank of Sky Sports) prices are inflated. Foreign clubs must be pissing themselves at the nouveau riche English clubs.

Gazolba

Everyone is overpriced and most of them can only kick with one foot!

Users who are viewing this thread