Politics and Religion ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Two subjects that get people hot under the collar I find are religion and politics,you listen to radio phone ins or talks in pubs,they nearly always end up heated and at times get out of hand.My sister and a mate keep away from both topics as they say it's boring and they dislike the arguing. Then again football can get us worked up. Are we just a nation who like arguing ?

Otis

Two subjects that get people hot under the collar I find are religion and politics,you listen to radio phone ins or talks in pubs,they nearly always end up heated and at times get out of hand.My sister and a mate keep away from both topics as they say it's boring and they dislike the arguing. Then again football can get us worked up. Are we just a nation who like arguing ?
I dunno, ask Grendel.

Otis

I do try and stay clear. People also get animated on such subjects. I would also include race into the mix too.

Our next door neighbours are very religious and we are all very much Atheist.

Have to bite my lip when we do stuff like go round on bonfire night and they thank the Lord for the fireworks.

They are lovely people though, so as long as they don't mention Jesus we won't mention Satan or evolution.

Otis

My brother in law will disagree and argue with everyone. He is right and they are wrong, and won't back down till he's won.
By the way he's a taxi driver and I hear he's even argued with his passengers !
Sounds like my brother, who sounds just like Grendel. He will argue over anything and everything and constantly disagree and just won't let go.

It's always he's right and you're wrong and will never agree to disagree.

He drives the whole family crazy (that's my brother, not Grendel).

bringbackrattles

Sounds like my brother, who sounds just like Grendel. He will argue over anything and everything and constantly disagree and just won't let go.

It's always he's right and you're wrong and will never agree to disagree.

He drives the whole family crazy (that's my brother, not Grendel).
He even argues with his grandkids and my late father ended up nearly chinning him over some trivial discussion. No wonder my sister hates arguments !

Otis

Given up on both - religio went first. Politics has now followed - fed up with the lot of them
It's interesting to note now these days (well for me anyway), there's not many politicians you can nail your mast too either.

I liked Obama, but Clinton and Trump? Cameron? Osborne? May? Farage?

I really liked Tony Blair at first, as did many, but we all know what happened there and then at first I thought Nick Clegg was going to be really decent.

I like some things Corbyn says, but I have lost an awful lot of interest full stop and it's all become a mish mosh.

Used to always watch Question Time, but now I just don't bother.

Last few elections (general and local) I have voted Green.

lifeskyblue

If people ask about my politics (left but not labour) or belief (atheist) then I will tell them and defend my values and beliefs. Most of the time though I try and avoid conflict as you can never rationally argue against a 'true' believer without them damning you to their faiths version of hell and in politics my beliefs are usually taken for something they most definitely are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monners

It's interesting to note now these days (well for me anyway), there's not many politicians you can nail your mast too either.

I liked Obama, but Clinton and Trump? Cameron? Osborne? May? Farage?

I really liked Tony Blair at first, as did many, but we all know what happened there and then at first I thought Nick Clegg was going to be really decent.

I like some things Corbyn says, but I have lost an awful lot of interest full stop and it's all become a mish mosh.

Used to always watch Question Time, but now I just don't bother.

Last few elections (general and local) I have voted Green.
Yep - it's Green for me from now on. Wasted vote in some ways, but I live in a marginal constituency so have often voted tactically (to try and keep the Tories out), but the other two main parties are full of bollocks too so will stick more closely to my convictions in future. Will always vote, but ignore the nonsense the rest of the time

Sky Blue Pete

I do try and stay clear. People also get animated on such subjects. I would also include race into the mix too.

Our next door neighbours are very religious and we are all very much Atheist.

Have to bite my lip when we do stuff like go round on bonfire night and they thank the Lord for the fireworks.

They are lovely people though, so as long as they don't mention Jesus we won't mention Satan or evolution.
Think evolutionn would be ok Otis

bringbackrattles

Bet Trump will not do half of what he promised before being elected. That wall will never go up for a start.
Most of it will be sound bite, and now he's in charge he will probably be chilled out !

Users who are viewing this thread