PONTICELLI (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
He is definitely worth a shot. I don't think throwing him on in the 80th minute chasing a game is the best place for it though.

Against Blackburn all he could possibly do is run around while the defenders played it between themselves but to be fair to him he put them under pressure well and did win it from them in the corner. Can't expect him to do that for 90 minutes, he will need some service and chances creating.

Playing him with somebody like Andreu who could potentially play him through might be best, no point having a finisher if we don't get him in those positions.

oucho

I'd prefer to see Nazon up front tonight, alongside McNulty. As with the Blackburn game, it'd be good to see Ponti come off the bench but a fit Kwame is ahead of him in the queue, as are Beavon and Biamou.

mark82

We lack a natural goalscorer and he seems to be that, at least at his current level. If you can't give him a chance in this I'm not sure when you can. Only worth doing if we retain a relatively strong team though. Needs service - Andreu could be the perfect player to play just behind him.

Mucca Mad Boys

You've had players in the England squad at 17 and we're worried about him being "Cannon Fodder" in a League Two Coventry team derived of goals ? Please.

Give the lad a chance, he's 18, he's scoring, let's give him a go

I wouldn't introduce him too soon. Striker's build confidence by scoring goals and if you throw an 18yr old in the deep end, it could prove detrimental in his development. It's 4 games in, plenty of first team options, there's no real need to risk it - he's playing well in the U23s, leave him for now. Maybe give him a few bench appearances or a start against U23 teams in the checkatrade trophy.

itsabuzzard

No instead wait until another club coming sniffing after he has a decent season in the U23s and we lose him without ever seeing how good he could have been....again.
Indeed. Otherwise, what'scthe point of these development squads?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

fatso

I'd prefer to see Nazon up front tonight, alongside McNulty. As with the Blackburn game, it'd be good to see Ponti come off the bench but a fit Kwame is ahead of him in the queue, as are Beavon and Biamou.
After watching Biamou against Blackburn I wouldn't put him ahead of my granny!

oucho

I was at that game and whilst I agree with the sentiment, you really can't judge a player from one game

fatso

I was at that game and whilst I agree with the sentiment, you really can't judge a player from one game
I totally agree, but others put a shift in, and he didn't. So on that one performance, I find it hard to justify playing him ahead of anyone else.
I can forgive a lack of ability, I can forgive a lack of experience, I can forgive mistakes, but I can't forgive a lack of effort.

Hobo

Unless your granny is playing maracas for The Fall I am not interested in her.

Greggs

Obviously has a natural ability to score goals, can the same be said for Mcwankty Beavon and Biamou?

Gazolba

So teenager Ben Woodburn (aged 17) scores a brilliant goal for Wales in a World Cup qualifier, and yet our Jordan Ponticelli (aged 18, 19 in one more week) is judged too young to play in a league 2 game.

CovisGod

So teenager Ben Woodburn (aged 17) scores a brilliant goal for Wales in a World Cup qualifier, and yet our Jordan Ponticelli (aged 18, 19 in one more week) is judged too young to play in a league 2 game.

I've bookmarked this thread ready for January when we've sold him for next to nothing and never experienced him playing. Ponticelli is actually a year older (next week) than Adam Armstrong was when he was banging in goals for us and he was seen as a Messiah around here so I'm not buying this "too much stress for a young player" bollocks, you've either got it or you haven't. I just don't get it, surely he should at the very least be on the bench, grabbing 15 minutes here and there building his confidence

Last edited:

lifeskyblue

I've bookmarked this thread ready for January when we've sold him for next to nothing and never experienced him playing. Ponticelli is actually a year older (next week) than Adam Armstrong was when he was banging in goals for us and he was seen as a Messiah around here so I'm not buying this "too much stress for a young player" bollocks, you've either got it or you haven't. I just don't get it, surely he should at the very least be on the bench, grabbing 15 minutes here and there building his confidence

We are not scoring goals! We have a young kid who appears to be a natural goal scorer who isn't being used in the senior team! Seems a no brainier to me. We need ponticelli in the squad as either a substitute with 30 to play or a starter. Untill we see a lot more of him we won't know how good he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skybluefaz

Wales did, they won a World Cup qualifier 1-0.
I agree with you, I'd start him in place of Beavon Saturday. Remember when Alan Hansen said "you don't win anything with kids" about Manchester United and they famously went on to win something with kids. Namely the Premier league. I was referencing that. I firmly believe that if you are good enough, you are old enough.

Greggs

I agree with you, I'd start him in place of Beavon Saturday. Remember when Alan Hansen said "you don't win anything with kids" about Manchester United and they famously went on to win something with kids. Namely the Premier league. I was referencing that. I firmly believe that if you are good enough, you are old enough.
Instead of McNutly surely?

fernandopartridge

The reference to Woodburn scoring for Wales is exactly why we need to be careful with Ponticelli, he's already being compared with another young player who has scored an international goal, what chance has he got?

stevefloyd

Ponticelli is in the next stage of his career and now getting goals for the 23's lets not spoil him by getting desperate and putting him in too early

Adge

Oh dear. Please don't compare the likes of Burge,Haynes,Willis,Stevenson,Ponticelli alongside Neville,Sharp,Giggs,Beckham etc.

SlowerThanPlatt

Oh dear. Please don't compare the likes of Burge,Haynes,Willis,Stevenson,Ponticelli alongside Neville,Sharp,Giggs,Beckham etc.

I don't think he was comparing the players ability wise. I think his general point is that if young players are performing in their age groups and the senior players aren't performing they should be given a chance to be part of the first team squad

Adge

I don't think he was comparing the players ability wise. I think his general point is that if young players are performing in their age groups and the senior players aren't performing they should be given a chance to be part of the first team squad
And it's getting the balance right. Lots calling for Ponticelli to be throw in but how many times have we seen similar thrown under the bus?

Users who are viewing this thread