PONTICELLI (1 Viewer)

Skybluefaz

Oh dear. Please don't compare the likes of Burge,Haynes,Willis,Stevenson,Ponticelli alongside Neville,Sharp,Giggs,Beckham etc.
You still classing the 23 year old Willis and Burge who is 25 in January as kids? The point I was trying to make was pointed out to you in black and white. I hope that was clear enough. If not, read it again slowly.

Adge

You still classing the 23 year old Willis and Burge who is 25 in January as kids? The point I was trying to make was pointed out to you in black and white. I hope that was clear enough. If not, read it again slowly.
Sorry, misread it! Yes they were kids, are older now and still not good enough. Guess we we will see with Ponticelli.:emoji_thumbsup:

singers_pore

Got to give him a go. If he doesn't work out we will need to get a striker in on loan because the others don't seem to be working out either. If we don't sort out the forward line we can forget about promotion.

Hobo

Got to give him a go. If he doesn't work out we will need to get a striker in on loan because the others don't seem to be working out either. If we don't sort out the forward line we can forget about promotion.
What loan can we have then???????

no_loyalty

Deserves at least a place on the bench this boy one chance is all he needs

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Agree, he needs to be broken in gently

shmmeee

If you wind back the thread 12 months the same comments were being made about Jack McBean

Jack McBean the 17 year old academy prospect who we own, or some other Jack McBean that isn’t a sensible comparison?

Grendel

Jack McBean the 17 year old academy prospect who we own, or some other Jack McBean that isn’t a sensible comparison?

It's entirely sensible

"He's scoring for the U23,s , stick him in, give him a chance, can't be any worse"

rupert_bear

Ponticelli has to be good enough, good enough to play and mix it with seasoned pros who have been round the 4th division block a bit, miles different to what he has experienced so far, when he is and is ready for his chance I'm certain Robins will pick him, at the moment he is a prospect no more and putting him in too early could hinder him and put him back months, as for loaning him out ! who to ? can't get a lot lower than a team halfway up the lowest division in the football league.

dongonzalos

If you wind back the thread 12 months the same comments were being made about Jack McBean

I am sure it would be said about any player in the under 23's who is excelling in their position. Whilst those in the senior team are not performing.
Once they are given their chance some will turn out to be a Callam Wilson, a Sheff. A George Thomas. Whereas others will not take the chance.
Point is you only find out when they get the chance

NorthernWisdom

I am sure it would be said about any player in the under 23's who is excelling in their position. Whilst those in the senior team are not performing.
Once they are given their chance some will turn out to be a Callam Wilson, a Sheff. A George Thomas. Whereas others will not take the chance.
But they only deserve their chance if they're good enough, and the manager's in a better position than most to judge that.

You could look back to how Adams was castigated for not playing Thornton ahead of the underperforming midfield at the time... but Adams was quite right.

Not saying managers don't get it wrong, not saying some managers aren't more conservative than others wrt youth (Pressley would have thrown him in!) but it isn't as automatic as he's scoring at U23s, therefore he deserves a chance. How many of us actually watch the U23s to make a judgement, after all? (and yep, know the likes of SlowerThanPlatt do).

SlowerThanPlatt

It's not just Ponticelli, a lot of these players will be being watched by clubs higher up because the majority of the team are 18-year-olds playing in an U23 league and winning. They are all developing well but I'd say only one of them (Thompson) is physically ready for league football atm. He's only '99 born so still very young but has the makings of a good centre back.

In my opinion Jordan Ponticelli and Kwame Thomas should be on the bench as viable options to bring on if McNulty & co aren't scoring. Their form for the U23s warrants a place in the match day squad.

Our U23s are playing against U23 squads from Championship level football clubs... Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Birmingham, etc. and our strikers are scoring lots of goals!

SlowerThanPlatt

In my opinion Jordan Ponticelli and Kwame Thomas should be on the bench as viable options to bring on if McNulty & co aren't scoring. Their form for the U23s warrants a place in the match day squad.

Our U23s are playing against U23 squads from Championship level football clubs... Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Birmingham, etc. and our strikers are scoring lots of goals!

Kwame is a strange one. He seems to be considered an U23 player by Robins and hasn't been around the first team squads for a while not even in the Checkatrade. Don't think he has much of a future here which is a shame because I thought he played pretty well when he got back from injury

steve82

Kwame is a strange one. He seems to be considered an U23 player by Robins and hasn't been around the first team squads for a while not even in the Checkatrade. Don't think he has much of a future here which is a shame because I thought he played pretty well when he got back from injury

I read it that Robins is giving Kwame time to play catch up and prove his fitness in the u23's getting 90 mins and training to the most he can. He's missed a lot of football in the last 12 months.

I'd not see the benefits of using him off the bench and missing out on vital minutes in the 23's.

I've a feeling if he stays fit and carries on his goal scoring form he will be considered for the starting 11 in the first team just like Ponticelli is doing.

vow

The loan window shuts when the transfer window does, now.

chiefdave

Thing with Kwarme is he's been out injured so will need a game or two in the U23s but it seems when he gets a game he goes off injured. The more that happens the less likely he is to get in the first team. Robins will want to see him put a run of games together to prove himself.

Hobo

I take it you were already aware of every striker we have signed either on a permanent or as a loan before we signed them in the past?
For me most of them I had never heard of before
But no loans available now was my point!!!

skybluegod

Callum Wilson, didn't break through until he was 21?
George Thomas, had 3 years training with the first team before getting a run?

Hobo

I think he will feature on the bench in coming months. But carry the weight of the team on his shoulders for 90 mins? Nah!! Scoring regularly in u23 matches is one thing, being extraordinary at that level is another.

dongonzalos

Callum Wilson, didn't break through until he was 21?
George Thomas, had 3 years training with the first team before getting a run?

And Ponti may still turn out to be a Sheff, a George Thomas a Callum or he may turn out to be one of the hundreds who don't make it. The point is he needs a chance, that chance for most players comes when the senior pros in their position are not doing it or there is an injury crisis and they are currently excelling in the under 23's

skybluegod

And Ponti may still turn out to be a Sheff, a George Thomas a Callum or he may turn out to be one of the hundreds who don't make it. The point is he needs a chance, that chance for most players comes when the senior pros in their position are not doing it or there is an injury crisis and they are currently excelling in the under 23's

Yes exactly, but he's only 18 and he has to wait for that chance, people shouldn't expect him to get a chance or be the next big thing as he is just a kid.

Adge

Jeez-hope he turns out better than Sheff. One of the most overrated overhyped Coventry City players of all time. Did you know he was from Cov?:emoji_rolling_eyes:

stevefloyd

I can't imagine for a minute that Robins has gone out and got these strikers in, given them half a dozen games and then thought I will ditch them and give an 18 year old kid their place ...not going to happen...Ponticelli needs to keep his head down and keep scoring goals for the unders, his chance will come probably thro' injury then its up to him

fatso

I can't imagine for a minute that Robins has gone out and got these strikers in, given them half a dozen games and then thought I will ditch them and give an 18 year old kid their place ...not going to happen...Ponticelli needs to keep his head down and keep scoring goals for the unders, his chance will come probably thro' injury then its up to him
That 18 year old kid is older than Adam Armstrong was when he was here and scoring for fun.
But yea, lets not give a goal scorer a chance, let's persevere with non scorers........ because there older.
That makes no fucking sense whatsoever!

SlowerThanPlatt

Jeez-hope he turns out better than Sheff. One of the most overrated overhyped Coventry City players of all time. Did you know he was from Cov?:emoji_rolling_eyes:

Adge, are there any actually Cov players you've rated in the last 5-10 years? The only player I can remember you giving a positive analysis on was Nathan Clarke

Users who are viewing this thread