PONTICELLI (1 Viewer)

oucho

Remember the Thorn gem of "I always wanted Cody McDonald over Adam Lefondra, he was our first choice"!:emoji_grin:
Actually ALF was first choice but the board dithered for so long the opportunity passed us by. Thorn told me so himself.

Grendel

Actually ALF was first choice but the board dithered for so long the opportunity passed us by. Thorn told me so himself.

Did he also tell you which premier league club tried to sign Kevin Malaga? Was he pissed when he told you or did he reserve that for training sessions?

Gazolba

Using the exception to the rule to prove your point is deeply flawed. How many players are actually ready at 16? Rooney clearly was, but even the likes of Messi didn’t really shine till 19. Besides, these are either world class or potentially world class players. Ponticelli was signed as an academy player at 17, he’s been involved in a professional environment for barely 2-3 years. So I really do believe MR when he says ‘he isn’t up to standard yet’.

The main thing Ponticelli has got going for him is that he’s a natural goal scorer. So if we manage his development right, he’ll be a player who will be able to move up the leagues with us if we do get a bit of momentum.

The kid has got bags of potential, but, potential and current ability are two different things.
Do you really think he'll still be with us when he is fully developed?
What standard does he have to live up to? He's already scored as many goals as all three of our regular strikers combined.

Skybluefaz

I'd give him the next three games now playing just ahead of Nazon with Vincenti in for DKE and Haynes for Stokes if possible. If he doesn't score then at least JP has then had a fair crack like the other strikers. No point giving him 5 minutes off the bench, I remember Strachan doing that to Aloisi who is a similar type of striker to JP.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I'd give him the next 3 as well.

With Jones & Vinceti either side, Nazon behind and see what happens. Worst case scenario he doesn't score in any of the 3 or look like scoring and he's on a par with McNulty, Beavon & Biamou.

Don't get the 'fear' of Ponticelli playing, it's odd I sensed it when he scored v Walsall people almost disappointed. Then when it went to a shoot out odd post on twitter before saying words to effect they hoped he missed, obviously he scored and certain people went quiet.

oucho

It was before Malaga signed for us. As for the pissed at work thing, is there any actual proof that happened or just unproveable hearsay such as "McSheffrey said so at the time" etc which although probably bullshit can't be proven to be false?

Sick Boy

It was before Malaga signed for us. As for the pissed at work thing, is there any actual proof that happened or just unproveable hearsay such as "McSheffrey said so at the time" etc which although probably bullshit can't be proven to be false?

I'm not sure why a long-term poster on this forum would make it up.

oucho

I'm not sure why a long-term poster on this forum would make it up.
Ah, so the proof is that someone posted something on a web forum. Thanks, that's cleared that up.

mechaishida

Well, the chances are being created, but the lack of clinical finishing is costing us dearly - it's stating the obvious, I know, but that's the bare bones of it.

We missed Kelly yesterday, given, but an over-reliance of individuals is where Mowbray cocked up. Naturally, we're limited on who we can bring in, however I trust MR with this team. He needs more time to bring this unit together as a tenacious team who are ruthless and determined.

Ponti needs a few games, it's very clear.

oucho

Nick

Administrator
Well, the chances are being created, but the lack of clinical finishing is costing us dearly - it's stating the obvious, I know, but that's the bare bones of it.

We missed Kelly yesterday, given, but an over-reliance of individuals is where Mowbray cocked up. Naturally, we're limited on who we can bring in, however I trust MR with this team. He needs more time to bring this unit together as a tenacious team who are ruthless and determined.

Ponti needs a few games, it's very clear.

What chances are being created?

It isn't stating the obvious unless you watched a completely different game yesterday and against Barnet.

Nick

Administrator
If you look at the highlights from yesterday I can only see the one chance where Nazon tees up Jones for a shot. The others all seem to be pot shots from distance.

Exactly. People look at the shot stat and seem to think they are all open goals from 6 yards out being missed.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Yes no more two or three half chances. Their keeper was pretty good but not overly streached.
There lies the problem with the team , opponents goalkeepers end up being there man of match .

We are not clinical enough , ie, bad decision making .

We just don't have enough quality in the team .

steve82

If you look at the highlights from yesterday I can only see the one chance where Nazon tees up Jones for a shot. The others all seem to be pot shots from distance.

Correct we did not create one clear cut chance in the 18 years box yesterday, few half chances that were easily felt with between the keeper and his back 4 who were very organised.

There lies the problem with the team , opponents goalkeepers end up being there man of match .

We are not clinical enough , ie, bad decision making .

We just don't have enough quality in the team .

I see the point your making about the keeper... if I recall there sponsors man of the match was central defender Mark Hughes, but as the point your making if there defenders getting motm awards it says we've not achieved our targets and taken the points.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Correct we did not create one clear cut chance in the 18 years box yesterday, few half chances that were easily felt with between the keeper and his back 4 who were very organised.

I see the point your making about the keeper... if I recall there sponsors man of the match was central defender Mark Hughes, but as the point your making if there defenders getting motm awards it says we've not achieved our targets and taken the points.
I was talking about the season so far !!!

And as for sponsors man of the match , I think they see a different game to us some times !!!

Terry Gibson's perm

I was talking about the season so far !!!

And as for sponsors man of the match , I think they see a different game to us some times !!!

I have been there when they chose the mom they go into one box and ask them so if you look at the difference in views on here, I imagine when joe Cole was here he got chosen a few times as it can come down to who you want to meet

Mucca Mad Boys

Do you really think he'll still be with us when he is fully developed?
What standard does he have to live up to? He's already scored as many goals as all three of our regular strikers combined.

He scored one goal. McNulty has 3 and Nazon 5...

Gint11

Too much hype on this lad. He's done nothing yet. Not taking away his achievements at younger levels but come on, some of our fans are pinning all hope on this lad coming in being Pele and why? Give the lad time and little pressure to grow into first team football. He isn't the answer at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mechaishida

What chances are being created?

It isn't stating the obvious unless you watched a completely different game yesterday and against Barnet.

I meant generally, from an overview - we're missing an aggressive striker who can turn mere shots on goal into actual goals.

Naturally, we're also missing a 'playmaker', which is why Andreau is such a loss.

Would you give Ponticelli a few games grace, Nick? You're an ever present at matches, so your opinion is merited.

Nick

Administrator
Looks like a chance was created

It wasn't a 40 yarder, it wasn't a "take 5 players on and finish".

Cut back, goal.

ccfchoi87

He really is lethal around the box. When you're in form attempts like that go in. The ball fizzed around the box a few times Saturday. Most times our players fell over the ball or missed it completely. If we get a half chance in a game, of anyone at the club at the minute I'd want it to fall to him

oucho

Top finish. You can question the marking but I loved the way, watching it frame by frame, that he set himself for the shot the second the ball broke his way from the cut back...class.

W

westcountry_skyblue

He needs his chance like i've been saying for ages but People saying to young,Not ready etc....
He looks ready to me and if we are going to get anything at Luton he needs to play the full 90 mins.

Nick

Administrator
He still needs the service though. Robins would need to stop being stubborn and being less negative to allow him to get chances.

Otis

He still needs the service though. Robins would need to stop being stubborn and being less negative to allow him to get chances.
Not going to happen Saturday that's for sure. If ever we need the current approach I would start this game is it.

oucho

Why not do both?

Users who are viewing this thread