Potential new BCFC stadium at NEC for Commonwealth Games (1 Viewer)

theferret

No it wouldn't.

And the NEC isn't closer to Cov City centre either.

Yes, it wouldn't be ideal, totally agree; but it is closer (marginally) to the centre of Coventry than the centre of Birmingham. That's somewhat irrelevant though, as it is much further from the edge of the Coventry conurbation than it is the edge of Birmingham, which is much more relevant. Complete non-starter in my view.

Sky Blue Kid

You are in Solihull/Birmingham area as soon as you reach the Eastern Green turnoff on the A45. So it's out of Coventry City conurbation , so it is a definate no from me.

Joy Division

Like mentioned before, there is no plan for a stadium at the NEC. Its going to be at the Alexander Stadium and has always planned to be that way, not even worth discussing relating to CCFC.

letsallsingtogether

Funny but Birminghams bid his included a world class facility already....
It called the Ricoh.;)

skybluetony176

Like mentioned before, there is no plan for a stadium at the NEC. Its going to be at the Alexander Stadium and has always planned to be that way, not even worth discussing relating to CCFC.

Exactly. The only things proposed for the NEC is judo, boxing and gymnastics in the halls that already exist. In fact that is the strength of the bid, the only thing that has to be built is the redevelopment of Alexander stadium. I think even the swimming venue that is yet to be built was already in the pipeline and will be built with or without the commonwealth games. Interestingly Coventry and Warwickshire are getting in on the act. Bowls is going to be in Leamington and the netball will be at the Ricoh.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
If a new stadium on that site were being considered.....

Still be swapping one rented ground for another rented ground though wouldn't it. I cannot see CCFC ever owning a share of the site can you?

Not going to be ready any time soon either, so doesn't solve immediate problems

Also if BCFC were there then CCFC would no doubt be the 2nd not primary tenant. As such incomes & costs would be split on the basis of who generated what much like the Liberty stadium. It might be a bigger better site but unless CCFC can provide success on the pitch and increase crowds is it a better option?

CCFC would be expected to commit to a long term agreement. Given how far we have fallen down the football pyramid then CCFC has become less attractive under the present owners and potentially bigger risks for the landlords.

I would think that any incentives from Birmingham Council would be aimed at BCFC particularly given the BCFC links to money men in far east (I don't mean Carson Yeung). BCFC also have a city centre site to sell and contribute ..... CCFC?

Being a prestige site then I would expect that the rent would be significant at the NEC. Could easily be more than a commercial rent at the Ricoh.

Undoubtedly some fans would be put off by being so far outside the City boundary.

Whilst in L2 or even L1 such a move doesn't seem to make much sense in terms of incomes, cost, convenience etc. I think it would actually create a financial burden.

Also how is 8000 fans rattling around in a 40000+ seater stadium better than 8000 fans in a 32000 seater stadium

If in Championship or above then it could work but surely with such success CCFC would be able to get a better deal at the Ricoh or build their own with or without BPA

I do not believe it to be a good solution or that it will happen

Birmingham City FC accounts make interesting reading ...... not the figures but the details. BIRMINGHAM CITY FOOTBALL CLUB PLC - Filing history (free information from Companies House)

Last edited:

Otis

Wouldn't we become tenants in the new stadium just like we are at the Ricoh. I would think a move out of the City to the NEC would really split the fan base even more
Hmmm, yeah.

Bottom line is we would be moving out of the city and groundsharing. I thought that was exactly what most of us didn't want.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

With a labour MP

Come see the real Warwick people some time

Met enough Daily Mail readers and spoilt trust funded brats for a lifetime.

Isn't Warwickshire council still trying dump all your allocated social housing on kings hill by Finham because Leamington and Warwick are 'too good' for that type of resident? A Wolf in sheeps clothing.

NortonSkyBlue

And the NEC isn't closer to Cov City centre either.[/QUOTE]
It was me who said it was and according to google it is 11.5 to Coventry City center and 14.4 to Birmingham city center.
No apology necessary.

letsallsingtogether

Met enough Daily Mail readers and spoilt trust funded brats for a lifetime.

Isn't Warwickshire council still trying dump all your allocated social housing on kings hill by Finham because Leamington and Warwick are 'too good' for that type of resident? A Wolf in sheeps clothing.
Yes the lousy b astards I currently look over fields they want me to look over their tat.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Yes the lousy b astards I currently look over fields they want me to look over their tat.

It stinks mate, shame we don't have a council with the backbone to tell them to fuck off and put it in their own Tory town. They know exactly what they're doing putting it right on the boarded to Finham. It will strain our already stretched resources, doctors etc. Selfish bastards.

Sky Blue Kid

It was me who said it was and according to google it is 11.5 to Coventry City center and 14.4 to Birmingham city center.
No apology necessary.[/QUOTE]

The mileage is more because it goes the "Long way round using M6" and it's totally irellevant anyway. It is not in Coventry boundaries.

rondog1973

No apology necessary.[/QUOTE]
Walking distance from Victoria square Birmingham to NEC: 10.3 miles.
Broadgate, Coventry: 11.9 miles.

No apology necessary.

NorthernWisdom

I'd be more relieved/concerned/apathetic (delete as applicable) that it knocks the Alexander stadium out the running as a long term temporary home.

Although maybe not for next season...?

Users who are viewing this thread