Pre-season 2017/18 - Tournament at Nuneaton (1 Viewer)

Sumo the Micky Quinn

This tornament is a 2 day event at Nuneaton Town involving Coventry City, as well as Liverpool, Rangers, Wolves & PSV Eindhoven. I presume the top teams will only bring u21's or reserves.

"The Boro will host the event on Saturday, July 29 and Sunday July 30 and will see the Sky Blues, Glasgow Rangers, Liverpool, Wolverhampton Wanderers and PSV Eindhoven Jong all team up in various match-ups over the two-day event.
Chairman Lee Thorn said: "I would like to congratulate Tommy on putting together a very prestigious and also very impressive line up.
"He managed to organise two consecutive tournaments during his tenure over at Corby Town and he has once again delivered a very impressive line-up for us this summer. We are delighted the teams accepted the invites and we look forward to hosting this tournament at Liberty Way."
Each day will the tournament will feature three games (90 minutes long) with the kick off times set for 11am, 2.30pm and 5.45pm (Fixtures to be announced shortly).
For all six games adults will be charged a total price of £40, with season ticket holders getting in for £35. Concessions will be £30 and under-16s £15."

Read more at Wolverhampton Wanderers and Coventry City also attending event

Last edited:

Seamus1

I remember going to the Bayern Munich friendly back in the 97/98 season, might have been some kind of anniversary of when we played them in European competition. I thought they would bring a reserve side, so was amazed to see the likes of Oliver Kahn, Lothar Matthaeus, and Giovanni Elber. I think Haessler played too? Meanwhile, we had Scott Howie in goal, Dublin playing in defence and a bit of a mish mash of a team out. Those Bayern Munich fans were fantastic (about 50 of them maybe). I remember watching them do the conga along one of the rows. Also one thing that sticks in my mind was the reception that Matthaeus was given from CCFC fans as he was substituted and then headed to the tunnel, with him applauding the fans back

ccfc92

I agree , I was talking about one off friendlies at home. Iirc Inter Milan wanted ridiculous sums to come and open the Ricoh.
As it was the stadium wasn't ready anyway.

I think Bournemouth charged £50 or £70 for a friendly vs Real Madrid the year they got promoted to the Prem :rolleyes:

Moff

bayern was not pre season - but in the middle of the season, cant remember why
I didnt go that night as was working away, but remember seeing it on german satellite tv

Bayern were on a mid season break and needed a warm up before getting back to league fixtures, plus German TV paid Richardson quite a nice sum to show it live.
Lothar Matthaus played and was a true gentleman to fans when he was substituted, speaking to plenty of us, and giving his time.

Re the Benfica game which someone mentioned, we got hammered 7-2 and it was the cue for an awful season. I think Big Ron or Strachan blamed the hammering for the crap season saying it knocked confidence straight off.

Nick

Administrator
Friendly against Barnsley too!

Saturday 8th July, 3pm: Sutton United v Coventry City.
Tuesday 18th July, 7:45pm: Barnsley v Coventry City.
Tuesday 25th July, 7pm: Mickleover Sports v Coventry City.
Saturday 29th July, 2:30pm: Coventry City v Liverpool XI (Boro Tournament, Nuneaton Town)
Sunday 30th July, 5:45pm: Nuneaton Town v Coventry City (Boro Tournament, Nuneaton Town)

Read more at NEWS: First pre-season game confirmed

SlowerThanPlatt

Saturday 8th July, 3pm: Sutton United v Coventry City.
Tuesday 18th July, 7:45pm: Barnsley v Coventry City.
Tuesday 25th July, 7pm: Mickleover Sports v Coventry City.
Saturday 29th July, 2:30pm: Coventry City v Liverpool XI (Boro Tournament, Nuneaton Town)
Sunday 30th July, 5:45pm: Nuneaton Town v Coventry City (Boro Tournament, Nuneaton Town)

Nick

Administrator
Liverpool at Home! Pass it on ;)

giphy.gif

SlowerThanPlatt

Oh, just seen the link for the Mickleover friendly is Robins' assistant Steve Taylor was assistant there before he joined us.

sw88

Chief Commentator!

SlowerThanPlatt

Anyone heard anything about going abroad for pre-season? There's a 10 day break between first and second pre season game but nothing from the club yet

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Anyone heard anything about going abroad for pre-season? There's a 10 day break between first and second pre season game but nothing from the club yet

I asked about two weeks ago and the suggestion was that something was being arranged but in typical CCFC style it seems it'll be last bleeding minute again!

Said after the last two years I wouldn't wait around, but find myself with the week booked off hoping something will come of it

Nick

Administrator
I think it's been said the youth team are, would be strange if the first team didn't.

Nick

Administrator
As a reminder:

BORO will be hosting a prestigious six-team tournament here at The Coombe Abbey Arena in July that will feature teams from Liverpool, Jong PSV Eindhoven, Glasgow Rangers, Wolves, Coventry City and, of course, Nuneaton Town.
It’s a mouth-watering line-up for what will provide ideal preparation for the new season.
The schedule is, as follows:
SATURDAY, JULY 29TH – 11.00am – NUNEATON TOWN v WOLVES XI
SATURDAY, JULY 29TH – 2.30pm – COVENTRY CITY v LIVERPOOL XI
SATURDAY, JULY 29TH – 5.45pm – GLASGOW RANGERS XI v PSV EINDHOVEN JONG
SUNDAY, JULY 30TH – 11.00am – WOLVES XI v GLASGOW RANGERS XI
SUNDAY, JULY 30th – 2.30pm – LIVERPOOL XI v PSV EINDHOVEN JONG
SUNDAY, JULY 30TH – 5.45pm – NUNEATON TOWN v COVENTRY CITY

Tickets for the whole weekend of top-quality action are priced at:
ADULTS - £40
SEASON TICKET HOLDERS -£35
CONCESSIONS - £30
UNDER 16’s - £15
There is a special one-day ticket price of £25.

Tickets are now on sale online by clicking here or alternatively call into The Coombe Abbey Arena, Monday to Friday between 10.00am and 5.00pm. We have a late night opening on Tuesday, May 9th until 9.00pm.
Early Bird season tickets are also on sale with massive savings to be made. Purchase online here or come along to The Coombe Abbey Arena.

chiefdave

£40 to watch us play Liverpool Reserves and Nuneaton and people moan about the prices we charge!

Suppose its good value if you have the time and inclination to watch all the games but personally I'd only be interested in our games.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah Im not interested in the others and as they are over 2 days I guess that makes it £50 if you just wanted to do those 2?

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Hopefully Tommy will use it as another scouting mission. Surely Liverpool reserves and PSV Reserves will have atleast one player who looks half decent?

Then again, if Liverpool are anything to go by, we will probably end up with another Ritchie Partridge rather than another Ryan Kent ;)

Nick

Administrator
Attleborough Arms is better

Behave, it's like a Nuneaton version of the Holyhead. :p

You won't get a top bar in there selling you cans of Breaker like the Pen and Wig. Don't get me started on Chicos, the standard place to go when you are a scrawny white teenager still in your school trousers and Rockports. Both of those win!

Skybluedan will be back me up.

Users who are viewing this thread