Richard Wood - 1
James McPake - 1
Freddy Eastwood - 1
Shaun Jeffers - 1
Gary McSheffrey - 1

Last edited:

Sky Blue Luke

Coventry City 2-0 Obertraun Select XI

Coventry City went in at the break 2-0 ahead with goals from David Bell in the 28th minute and Richard Wood in the 39th minute.

Sky Blue Luke

Coventry City played a friendly in Austria today against VF Gaflenz.

Coventry City went in at the break 2-0 ahead with goals from Bell in the 28th minute and Wood in the 39th minute. The second half was goalless so City won the game 2-0'.

Coventry City had the trialist Dutch striker Smeekes in the team and he had a good header form a Carl Baker cross saved in the 4th minute.

A few minutes later the Coventry attack once again cut through the Gaflenz defence, with Gunnarsson sending in the cross for Baker, who saw hit shot palmed away.

Then it was Davis Bell's turn to get behind the defence and send in a cross for Shaun Jeffers, who headed wide.

With just 15 minutes gone both sides were forced into making substitutions after a clash of head saw Baker leave the field with a cut head and the Gaflenz goal keeper replaced after suffering a cut mouth. Baker was replaced by Gary McSheffrey.

More wide play saw Clingan get in a cross onto the head of new boy Keogh who's glancing header fell unkindly for Richard Wood, who nevertheless tried an ambitious overhead kick, but the ball went wide of the goal.

Next it was McSheffrey's turn to send in a cross, this time from a free kick which was met by the head of Jermaine Grandison, but once again the header went just wide of the far post.

The one sided game saw the first goal in the 28th minute when Coventry's pressure began to tell on the home side. Bell went on a dazzling run, going past a string of defenders and shot through the legs of the goal keeper to score.

City nearly conceded within minutes when Gaflenz's Stutz Mootiu went through the City defence on the right and have a low shot on target, but the ever reliable Westwood saved comfortably.

Gunnarsson was well fired up for the game and with 30 minutes gone he ran almost the entire length of the pitch chasing a Gaflenz player, who he then brought down to earn himself a yellow card.

Smeekes received a pass from McIndoe with his back to the goal, but manged to turn and shoot from 25 yards out, but the ball went inches over the bar.

On their next attack the Sky Blues were rewarded with a training ground free kick, a quick in swinging cross from Clingan which Wood met with his head to score the second City goal just inside the far post.

Gaflenz nearly scored with seconds left in the first half when Mootiu latched onto a poor clearance from a corner, but saw his long range shot go inches over the bar.

The game was played in temperatures of up to 35°c, so Boothroyd made six changes at half time, on trial goal keeper Lawrence Thomas, Ben Turner, Michael Doyle, Freddy Eastwood, Roy O'Donovan, Stephen O'Halloran and Martin Cranie on for Westwood, Wood, Gunnarsson, Clingan, Bell, McIndoe and Smeekes.

City stared the second half brightly and nearly grabbed a third goal from a McSheffrey free kick on the edge of the area. McSheffrey's fierce shot went agonisingly wide of the far post.

Then is was Eastwood's turn to shoot just wide when he latched on to an O'Donovan through ball .

Next it was City's turn to defend and trialist goal keeper Thomas made a good solid save from Schon Mathieus. Shortly after Gaflenz had a free kick just inside the City half and

Thomas was a spectator as the optimistic shot cannoned off the crossbar back into play
where he picked up the loose ball.

Boothroyd reintroduced Jeffers, Clingan and Bell for Keogh, Grandison and McSheffrey.

Eastwood got to the byline and past a defender to cross to O'Donovan who's shot was parried by the goal keepers legs.

In the last attack of the game and what was probably the best piece of football, Jeffers started dribbling with the ball going past three defenders and skipping their tackles, getting to the byline and managing to get in a superb cross which neither O'Donovan nor Bell could quite get their heads onto.

Coventry City: Westwood (Thomas 45), Grandison (Clingan 66), McIndoe O'Halloran 45), Wood (Turner 45), Keogh (Jeffers 64), Gunnarsson (Doyle 45), Clingan (O'Donovan 45), Bell (Cranie 45), Baker (McSheffrey 45, Bell 68), Jeffers (Eastwood 45), Smeekes.

T

TrevorsathisPeake

I see Crainie was played in midfield again today.Either Boothroyd see's that as his best position or they just want him off the wage bill.I think Crainie must be a bit unhappy to say the least,pre-season game or not.

Sky Blue Luke

I see Crainie was played in midfield again today.Either Boothroyd see's that as his best position or they just want him off the wage bill.I think Crainie must be a bit unhappy to say the least,pre-season game or not.

Yeh, it seems like he's off, Keogh brought in and started both games at RB (?)

Shame it hasn't quite worked out for him, he was starting for the England U-21's last summer when we bought him, last season he was playing at LB because Stephen Wright was in his position, now he can't get into the team because of Richard Keogh.

Heard he was linked with a move to Norwich the other day, linking up with Elliott Ward.

Keogh has impressed though, seems a decent player and the Carlisle fan I spoke to the other week about him seemed to rate him...

Amazing player for us. Always gives 100%, and is a legend for all carlisle fans. Player of the year last season. Sad to see him go
sad.gif

Should be able to cut it in the championship, played almost every match for us last season, got a couple of goals and when he played he was always one of the players whose preformance stuck out.

Stealing our players again
mad.gif

shifty.gif

HE is a legend, not just becasue of his ability, but you can see he is trying all the time.

He does overlap the wingers, and get crosses in, but most of the time he overlaps, then passes it inside.

I know it's been a few years, but still gutted about Westwood
sad.gif
, but tbh, he is far too good to be in League 1

T

TrevorsathisPeake

I can't understand why Crainie has'nt been give a decent run at right-back,i bet he thought when Wright was released he'd play there week in week out.He says his prefered position is centre back but he has hardly played there aswell.Maybe that'll have to become his primary position now,as iv'e said,McPake's fitness remains a concern,i'd be suprised if he plays 65% of the games next season.
Maybe they just want rid of Crainie to save on wages,who knows,but he's got to be pretty unhappy at the minute.One thing for sure is that he's cerainly good enough to figure in our starting eleven.

Nick

Administrator
I like Cranie as a player. I think if McPake is out he should be given a chance at the back with Richard Wood but I guess we will see the destined first team when we play Northampton on Wednesday night.

T

TrevorsathisPeake

Yeah i like Crainie to,one of our better players last season.I think if Boothroyd plans to use him as a centre-half,then surely he'd have been given some kind of run out there in the previous friendlys.I find it very hard to believe that he wont be in the starting 11 come August 7th.

Sky Blue Luke

Coventry City manager Aidy Boothroyd will pick a team to play the whole game tonight against Northampton Town at Sixfields (7.45pm kick off)

The City boss played one set of players for sixty minutes against Nuneaton and them gave them a thirty minute outing against Hinckley with a second set getting thirty minutes against Nuneaton and sixty last Saturday.

Tonight, Boothroyd will dispense with that and will pick a team to play the whole game.

Speaking to the CT, Boothroyd said:" I will pick a team to play 90 minutes against Northampton and we will have another few hard days and that will takes us forward to the next games."

Is it for the Jackson Grundy cup tonight again? :)

T

TrevorsathisPeake

Who's gonna lift the cup? Has a new skipper been named yet.Got to be Clingan for me.

T

TrevorsathisPeake

Does anyone know why McPake got took off at half-time.Hope it was'nt anything to do with injury.Great defender but am realy concerned with the amount of injuries he picks up.

tippex9

I haven't heard anything but he did get a kick just before half time during that spat with the striker and like you hinted at, it don't take much.

I agree with a lot said in this post. Clingan would be a good shout for the armband since we don't seem to know who the centre halves will be. I like Wood as captain but word is he's not first choice.

Cranie seems to be another one who's the victim of his versatility, my lad asked at Sixfields what Cranies best position was and I couldn't answer. I don't see him as a centre half though.

I thought Hussey looked good, I know it was only Northampton but he was lively and he seemed more noticable than most of the others.

I know nothing is won in pre-season but four straight clean sheets??? Who are you lot and what have you done with the real Coventry City??

Nick

Administrator
I think Carsley is going to be the new Captain but strange having a Loan Player as captain.

I like Cranie but I am not sure where he is going to fit in the squad now we have Keogh at Right Back.

tippex9

As far as I'm aware Carsleys a permanent signing.

Sky Blue Luke

I think Carsley is going to be the new Captain but strange having a Loan Player as captain.

I like Cranie but I am not sure where he is going to fit in the squad now we have Keogh at Right Back.

As far as I'm aware Carsleys a permanent signing.

Yeh, Carsley's signed on a one-year deal, and he's in the squad for tomorrow
i6.gif

Jimmy Hill will be at the Ricoh for the match v WBA :cool:

T

TrevorsathisPeake

It will be intresting to see the starting line up for the Walsall game.Even though Carsley will be a regular next season,i cant see him starting today.The one which i cant understand is Martin Crainie.If he doesnt start today then i dont think he'll be in the starting line up agianst Pompey.
Keogh is Boothroyds own signing so he's gonna start ar right-back it looks like.The only way i can see him getting in is at centre-back alongside Wood,but thats only if McPake's injury concerns continue.Surely Crainie is good enough to be in our best 11,i think he should be 1st choice right back but doesnt look like its gonna happen.
I can see him leaving before the end of the transfer window.

Sky Blue Luke

Pre-Season Summary

July 10th: VF Gaflenz 0-2 Coventry City
July 14th: Nuneaton Town 0-0 Coventry City
July 17th: Hinckley Town 0-0 Coventry City
July 21st: Northampton Town 0-1 Coventry City
July 24th: Walsall 0-2 Coventry City
July 27th: Shrewsbury Town 0-0 Coventry City
July 31st: Coventry City 1-1 WBA

---
Goalscorers:
David Bell - 1
Richard Wood - 1
James McPake - 1
Freddy Eastwood - 1
Shaun Jeffers - 1
Gary McSheffrey - 1

So we're undefeated in 7 in pre-season games, with 6 different goalscorers.

But none have scored more than once :(

Users who are viewing this thread