Protesting fans against owners (1 Viewer)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Feel free to move to another area Nick, as not entirely (if at all) CCFC related, but thought I'd post here as it seems to get more viewers than other locations (I'm guessing!?!?).

Just seen a clip of the Charlton V Middlesborough game which was brought to a halt after 10 mins after fans, who'd already protested outside the ground with a mock funeral, began throwing hundreds of black and white beach balls on to the pitch in protest against their owners on the 10th minute.

Made me think, and this is where the relevance to us comes in, how many clubs are there currently / recently who make it known they don't like their owners and want rid (albeit on a much smaller scale for us now but we've been through it and they're still not liked by many), yet the football league continue to fail to, in my opinion, vet prospective owners properly.

Off the top of my head, I can think of Blackpool, Leeds, now Charlton, Blackburn, Cardiff over recent years.

(NB, this is not intended to be, or become an anti SISU thread. Just thought after yesterday it was a good talking point :) )

CJ_covblaze

Mansfield, Northampton, Blues and Pompey are 4 more. Hereford and Chester both went completely due to massive financial mismanagement. Both back as fan owned clubs now and doing very well. Football needs a huge overhaul and legislation is required to prevent these incompetent clowns from ruining our clubs.

dadgad

This IS a Ccfc issue as the principles that underpin ownership are enshrined within the FL regs. These were waived and we ended up in Northants. Unless the governing body is rigidly consistent there will plenty more 'Charltons', 'Blackpools' and so on. Fair play to them and we should unite in support. Unfortunately..... ;-)

skybluetony176

Villa and Liverpool fans have both protested this season although Liverpool fans were protesting about an increase in season ticket prices next season rather than regime change.

dadgad

For a club to be competitive you have to
genuinely aim for success.
When a club is obviously being mismanaged (by an off shore hedge fund for example perhaps for pecuniary motives) then all sporting principles are lost.

Covstu

I think the difference is that some fan groups are significantly more prepared and organised than others. Until the FL review the 'fit and proper' owners element this will continue to happen. Look at Bolton, what was it 5 mins from going bust!?

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
For me its the FL how they are letting owners and takeovers like these cripple clubs and ruin them is beyond me well isnt really all to do with money bottom line thats it, should be a rule of a club being taken over they should have to prove and sustain the club for minimum amount of time but behind the club when fans pay in certain amount of sales should go to fans as take over money of some sort if the current owners cant run club properly, if starts fail club should be handed over to fans to run it if owners make a loss their fault not doing it right instead fans being punished.

D

Deleted member 2477

You only have to look at fifa and the corruption involved to see where football is now.
its not seen as a sport anymore but a way for dishonest companies and individuals to make money with no regard for the fans or history.

im sure certain people in the football league turning a blind eye to certain people in exchange for a higher salary :jerkit:

dadgad

You only have to look at fifa and the corruption involved to see where football is now.
its not seen as a sport anymore but a way for dishonest companies and individuals to make money with no regard for the fans or history.
:

Yes, exactly. Which was why it was important to focus on the FL and their own flaunted guidelines in respect of move to Northants, golden share, etc.

We have been the victims of this systemic corruption but ultimately the whole sport suffers.

Users who are viewing this thread