Pubs for Oxford (1 Viewer)

breadbin

Where's everyone drinking before hand because the centres a right trek away

georgehudson

H10, the feeling is reciprocal.
Seriously though, it's south of the Oxford centre & Cowley (not the most salubrious area). is not too far away, over to the real ale police for a recommendation.

Kilclines curly mullet

If you look back a week or so I made another post regarding this. In that post was a long list of pubs and places to eat and drink. I can't copy and paste, but if someone can feel free.

Kilclines curly mullet

Managed to paste it, the below is from an Oxford fan:

We usually use the Catherine Wheel at Sandford on Thames. Away fans welcome, nice atmosphere but no food other than rolls. Park in the road and then a 15 minute walk to the ground and an easier getaway than being stuck in the club car park for an hour afterwards!

Also in Sandford is the Kings Arms down on the Thames which is a Chef & Brewer so good selection of food but adds 10 mins to walk and I think it's pay and display parking even in the pub car park.

Another one we use fairly regularly is the Golden Ball in Littlemore which is a little place on the edge of a big estate (Littlemore, not Blackbird Leys). He does good value basic food and is friendly, but I would suggest you go in the lounge bar (to the right) rather than the public bar on left but only because it's more comfortable, the locals are fine! Again about a 15 min walk and close to the ring road for a quick escape afterwards.

And just round the corner from the GBall is The George which is a football pub which we haven't used for 2-3 years as it kept changing management but I understand they're football orientated and friendly but I don't know about food.

The only other pub within walking distance is The Blackbird on B/Leys - don't go near it!!!

At the ground itself there is a large, free car park which can be a bugger to get out of (but luckily I have a friend's space on the adjacent science park!). No pubs but two hotel bars (both horribly sterile and DULL!), the bowling alley bar (ditto) and a Frankie & Benny's. There are also two seperate buffets, one Indian and one Chinese, both of which are excellent value although the Indian is the best - very good value! Both have bars. There is also a chip shop which doesn't

matesx

O'Neills in City centre. Has the Man Yoo v Arsenal game on.

Cab to ground

oucho

Yeah the Blackbird is one to avoid, as is the whole Blackbird Leys estate (the housing area north of the ground).

I went to an Oxford home game once and some of their fans expressly told me to avoid. Said that even they only walk through it in groups and avoid it altogether after dark - it's one of the poorest housing areas in Europe and is known for being deeply rough. So don't park there thinking of the free parking. You've been warned.

The Reverend Skyblue

Blackbird leys used to have a football team which I had the unfortunate experience to play against a few times.
How our team came away intact and alive with all limbs still in place I still think was a miracle.
Never ever set foot in that estate.

cloughie

Yeah the Blackbird is one to avoid, as is the whole Blackbird Leys estate (the housing area north of the ground).

I went to an Oxford home game once and some of their fans expressly told me to avoid. Said that even they only walk through it in groups and avoid it altogether after dark - it's one of the poorest housing areas in Europe and is known for being deeply rough. So don't park there thinking of the free parking. You've been warned.
Its the wood end of oxford yet bigger,no offense meant as there are good people in wood end

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Didn't see this thread before Saturday. Left on 60 minutes and was advised by the police to go to the Blackbird to get a taxi as wouldn't have a chance of flagging one down near the Bowling complex.

Went to the Blackbird and don't get me wrong it wasn't a place to take the missus, but it wasn't that bad!! Reading some of the previous comments you'd think it was entering some Naples gangland! There were some lads in Stone Island but was no worse than going to the Hub on wheelwright lane. Woman behind bar ordered us a taxi and gave us a couple of batches on the house

oucho

Didn't see this thread before Saturday. Left on 60 minutes and was advised by the police to go to the Blackbird to get a taxi as wouldn't have a chance of flagging one down near the Bowling complex.

Went to the Blackbird and don't get me wrong it wasn't a place to take the missus, but it wasn't that bad!! Reading some of the previous comments you'd think it was entering some Naples gangland! There were some lads in Stone Island but was no worse than going to the Hub on wheelwright lane. Woman behind bar ordered us a taxi and gave us a couple of batches on the house
Fair play to her for that. By the sounds of it, sitting in the Blackbird all afternoon would have been more enjoyable than freezing your bum off inside the ground...

Users who are viewing this thread