Question for Nick (1 Viewer)

wingy

Could have pm'd but others input might be beneficial.
We have many many young fans now, who would love to read and contribute on a forum such as this.
Obviously they wouldn't be as intellectual as us seniors and being innocent could be offended, led astray, prey for all the normal Internet pitfalls.
My grandson has started doing articles for twist and shout, and while we were viewing last night the first word he saw was c**t.
So the question is would it be feasible for a juniors forum?

Reactions: vow

clint van damme

Could have pm'd but others input might be beneficial.
We have many many young fans now, who would love to read and contribute on a forum such as this.
Obviously they wouldn't be as intellectual as us seniors and being innocent could be offended, led astray, prey for all the normal Internet pitfalls.
My grandson has started doing articles for twist and shout, and while we were viewing last night the first word he saw was c**t.
So the question is would it be feasible for a juniors forum?

are you telling me that the average age of contributors to these forums isn't 11?

Nick

Administrator
I have added things like swear filters in the past that filter out words but people just moaned that it was freedom of speech etc etc etc.

I can have a look to see if I can put one on for people who aren't logged in and requested members accounts (ie if your grandson was a user, I can try and make it hide swearing for him)

The other thing is just a global swear filter that changes c**t to c**t for everybody?

Nick

Administrator
Yeah, at the minute it seems to be globally on (I just added c**t) so there will be a way if people want to see swears they can enable it.

That might be best?

NorthernWisdom

Have to say I miss valiant, and to deny him the chance to return, cunting and all, would be a shame.

Junior space fine, maybe... but let's face it football forums are full of cunting middle aged men, and you'll never wipe it out.

wingy

Have to say I miss valiant, and to deny him the chance to return, cunting and all, would be a shame.

Junior space fine, maybe... but let's face it football forums are full of cunting middle aged men, and you'll never wipe it out.
Yeah that's what I was thinking NW
A specific section for say U12's or 14's only.

How to verify the age though and sadly in this age prevent adult mal intent.

NorthernWisdom

More content than specific age that's the issue though, surely?

I probably wouldn't set foot in the place because I have a low tolerance threshold ;) but for those who want to interact, there's a limit to what damage you can do when chatting George Thomas.

Nick

Administrator

I can easily give them their own section or anything they want and happy to try things?

I can easily make a usergroup specifically to access their own section as well and restrict access to certain places etc.

What sort of thing did your grandson want to read on here? Was it mainly the football stuff?

wingy

I can easily give them their own section or anything they want and happy to try things?

I can easily make a usergroup specifically to access their own section as well and restrict access to certain places etc.

What sort of thing did your grandson want to read on here? Was it mainly the football stuff?
Yeah would be purely football, players matchday, away days etc.
Just to enthuse among his age group,hopefully others would get involved too if publicised.
It's far more simple for them, to them.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah would be purely football, players matchday, away days etc.
Just to enthuse among his age group,hopefully others would get involved too if publicised.
It's far more simple for them, to them.

Do you think separate from the adults? Just trying to think how the best way to do it would be to make sure there is actual discussion in there.

wingy

Do you think separate from the adults? Just trying to think how the best way to do it would be to make sure there is actual discussion in there.
Yeah separate really.
Matchday thread might be useful.
Otherwise much of the other stuff involves bickering swearing, sexual references.
Which are all good to us big uns,wouldn't really engage them though,sure he'd read what we do but wouldn't get most of it.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah separate really.
Matchday thread might be useful.
Otherwise much of the other stuff involves bickering swearing, sexual references.
Which are all good to us big uns,wouldn't really engage them though,sure he'd read what we do but wouldn't get most of it.

If there's a group of kids who want to use it and discuss ccfc I can make something completely seperate and whack it on kids.skybluestalk.co.uk for them.

The only thing about that is like you say knowing they are kids and refraining from calling them names if they say silly things*

*Just the first part really!

I could completely disable private messages for a start so there's no sending messages.

Happy to help set something up if you think it will help the kids get excited about CCFC a bit more.

I can add a separate section on here and lock it down but it just means they will still see the grown up stuff before they login.

wingy

If there's a group of kids who want to use it and discuss ccfc I can make something completely seperate and whack it on kids.skybluestalk.co.uk for them.

The only thing about that is like you say knowing they are kids and refraining from calling them names if they say silly things*

*Just the first part really!

I could completely disable private messages for a start so there's no sending messages.

Happy to help set something up if you think it will help the kids get excited about CCFC a bit more.
I would hope so Nick and if all parents or GP's pushed it among their nippers.
If it bombs no loss, at least we'd have tried. B-)

chiefdave

Could you block any posts with c-bombs in and censor other swear words? Think if you give kids their own section there won't be much in it.

Nick

Administrator
I would hope so Nick and if all parents or GP's pushed it among their nippers.
If it bombs no loss, at least we'd have tried. B-)

The only worry is having a website specifically for kids :( I probably wouldn't push mine to go onto the internet to talk to people.

wingy

The only worry is having a website specifically for kids :( I probably wouldn't push mine to go onto the internet to talk to people.
Yeah that was my daughters immediate concern.
Maybe a non starter then, just thought I'd put it out there.

Nick

Administrator
What sort of age were you thinking?

It might be worth speaking with JSB people to see if there's something they think could be done? In theory it would be great for the kids to make friends and go to the football and do JSB stuff and parties etc.

Physically setting something up is easy, it's just making sure they are actually kids somehow. If the JSBs could give a database of members for example I could get it so they need to put their card number in to sign up.

wingy

What sort of age were you thinking?

It might be worth speaking with JSB people to see if there's something they think could be done? In theory it would be great for the kids to make friends and go to the football and do JSB stuff and parties etc.

Physically setting something up is easy, it's just making sure they are actually kids somehow. If the JSBs could give a database of members for example I could get it so they need to put their card number in to sign up.
I don't know really?
He's 8 and just getting computer literate/savvy.
Maybe his age up to about 12 would be a decent demographic.
The JSB number content sounds like a good safeguard.

Nick

Administrator
I don't know really?

I think the JSB number stuff would be the club rather than the volunteers wouldn't it? I will send an email and see what they think, depends about data protection etc because again they would be handing details of kids out to somebody on the internet to be used for an internet website.

It's just the safeguarding side of it :( I'm too overprotective as it is so always imagine all parents to be the same when it comes to the internet.

wingy

I think the JSB number stuff would be the club rather than the volunteers wouldn't it? I will send an email and see what they think, depends about data protection etc because again they would be handing details of kids out to somebody on the internet to be used for an internet website.

It's just the safeguarding side of it :( I'm too overprotective as it is so always imagine all parents to be the same when it comes to the internet.
True.

hill83

I'll stop typing c**t if it helps.
Nick. c**t is filtered. My pc has gone mad.

Covstu

Don't think it would be a good idea, you would have idiot adults accessing that page and vicaversa. Most threads end up in childish arguments equally but would share nicks concerns on safeguarding as it's very strict

Gazolba

I think you are fooling yourself if you think kids have not already heard these words. By the time I was 11, I'd heard everything.

It's better to have them see it and then explain to them that it's a bad word that people of limited vocabulary have to resort to when they can't think of an appropriate other word to use.
He/She should not use it as it tells other people that they lack the intelligence to use an appropriate word, and in the future it could hurt their ability to get a job or find a person of the opposite sex.

hill83

He's right you know. I started my last interview with "Hey cunts!"
Didn't get the job.

torchomatic

Couldn't we just ban SBK? Problem solved.

torchomatic

I don't know really?

Yeah, my annoying little f****r is 11 and he would f*****g love it.

wingy

I think you are fooling yourself if you think kids have not already heard these words. By the time I was 11, I'd heard everything.

It's better to have them see it and then explain to them that it's a bad word that people of limited vocabulary have to resort to when they can't think of an appropriate other word to use.
He/She should not use it as it tells other people that they lack the intelligence to use an appropriate word, and in the future it could hurt their ability to get a job or find a person of the opposite sex.
Oh he knew it soon enough.
Then suggested we look at something else.
They just want to grow up quick and be like the adults.

Nick

Administrator
I don't think it's so much the swear words, it's other things like sarcasm etc and things they just wouldn't get.

oucho

Obviously they wouldn't be as intellectual as us seniors

I love the delicious use of irony in this post!

Users who are viewing this thread