Random help please (1 Viewer)

harvey098

Hi all, I am trying to explain to a friend of mine why I don't think it is right to support wasps. I remember seeing someone post a quote on here from a wasps fan... can anyone point me in the right direction where to find it please. (It was explaining why they wouldn't follow their team to Coventry etc)

JimmyHillsbeard

if you're against a hedge-fund owner taking their franchise team away from their historical city to play their home games miles away then it's a no-brainer....

Similarly if you think that London Wasps being at the Ricoh is harmful to the prospects of Coventry City Football Club or Coventry Rugby Club it's a double no-brainer

harvey098

There is a specific quote im trying to find that was posted on here about a week ago from an original London wasps fan

mark82

Is this the one?

"I have been supporting Wasps for 25 years but will not be following them to Coventry. Absolutely not. Rugby is about comradeship and respect but Wasps have shown absolutely no respect to their supporters. Why would you follow a club that does that on a 80-mile trip up the M1? The club are basically telling the fans who have stood by them all these years that they don’t count anymore.

Rugby teams do not just belong to an owner who buys them; they belong to the community that has created and sustained them over generations. Wasps have now decided to dump the girl they came with and dance with someone else from the Midlands. No one would consider moving Chelsea Football Club up to Birmingham. I don’t know how they think they can do it with a rugby club. Do they think people won’t care?"

hearing one of the voices of the Sky Blue Trust...

Esoterica

Has anyone ever gathered a list of their initial promises towards CCFC, CRFC, the coventry community and the local redevelopment and compared that to what's been achieved?

Buster

Don't think they promised any one anything
What they've done is brought a world class sports team to an unused world class stadium .
Hard to swallow for us city supporters, but true .

ajsccfc

The Ricoh's not world class, it's the same as most other stadiums but with a big hall stuck on the side.

Speedies_Chips

Hi all, I am trying to explain to a friend of mine why I don't think it is right to support wasps. I remember seeing someone post a quote on here from a wasps fan... can anyone point me in the right direction where to find it please. (It was explaining why they wouldn't follow their team to Coventry etc)

So you needed that quote to tell you what to think?

chiefdave

Don't think they promised any one anything
Off the top of my head:
No negative impact on CCFC
No negative impact on CRFC
No games on the same day as CRFC
A new state of the art sports facility available for community use

Brylowes

No it just summarised a wasps fans view quite nicely so bore off
Judging by their recent attendances and increase in numbers and revenue since they
Made the move, it's not very representative of their fanbase.
Although I agree with it.

SkyblueBazza

It's definitely an interesting subject. Look at MK Dons...avg attendances just under 10.5k last season. The local people are slowly but increasingly attaching to them.
Those emotionally attached to the original Wimbledon have probably largely been lost...but they seem to be thriving & growing slowly but surely

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ccfcway

It's definitely an interesting subject. Look at MK Dons...avg attendances just under 10.5k last season. The local people are slowly but increasingly attaching to them.
Those emotionally attached to the original Wimbledon have probably largely been lost...but they seem to be thriving & growing slowly but surely

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sadly,its now the world we live in. Just watching Atlanta United v New Year City. Atlanta United have 30,000 season ticket holders before that team had even kicked a ball.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Been told by someone who arranges transportation for fans that although they have moved up here they got many taxis lined up. waiting to take them back to the station after the game. So although some fans might have deserted them quite are fair few have followed them .If you looked from an owners point of view they have done what they set out to do increase the fan base and make the future for themselves more stable as for us were certainly not looking on an upward direction.

Liquid Gold

Been told by someone who arranges transportation for fans that although they have moved up here they got many taxis lined up. waiting to take them back to the station after the game. So although some fans might have deserted them quite are fair few have followed them .If you looked from an owners point of view they have done what they set out to do increase the fan base and make the future for themselves more stable as for us were certainly not looking on an upward direction.
They finished top of the top league with a couple of sell outs. On the face of it that's success but they've got nowhere to go up to. They're losing millions a year with no chance of improvement and a £25m loan to pay back at some point. It's only a matter of time before it all goes tits up for them.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

They finished top of the top league with a couple of sell outs. On the face of it that's success but they've got nowhere to go up to. They're losing millions a year with no chance of improvement and a £25m loan to pay back at some point. It's only a matter of time before it all goes tits up for them.
Time will tell if your right it might be a race between us both as to who goes bust first.

clint van damme

The Ricoh's not world class, it's the same as most other stadiums but with a big hall stuck on the side.

how anyone can consider the Ricoh to be a world class stadium is beyond me, (2nd time I've heard someone express that opinion recently). It's a half decent stadium, nothing more.

ajsccfc

I could make one out of Lego that's better than anything we'll see from them, so it's not really saying much.

Users who are viewing this thread