RB Leipzig 1. Bundesliga (1 Viewer)

martcov

RB Leipzig have come from being an amateur club 7 years ago to promotion to the Bundesliga playing to a packed Stadium - 42000 -in this promotion year.
They don't own the stadium, but have a 10 year lease til 2020 and Red Bull own the stadium naming rights til 2040. It is a form of franchising as Red Bull control the Club .
Is something like this our only hope? If so, Wasps must play ball until an alternative Stadium is built - Minimum realistically 10 years.
We will never make the premier on ST sales alone.

skybluetony176

Isn't Christian Horner the boss at Red Bull F1 team from Leamington Spa and a life long CCFC fan? Maybe he could broker a deal? ;)

martcov

Everything - as far as I know - that Red Bull sponsors, seems to work ( money talks ). Red Bull has no football team in England,

ccfctommy

RB Leipzig have come from being an amateur club 7 years ago to promotion to the Bundesliga playing to a packed Stadium - 42000 -in this promotion year.
They don't own the stadium, but have a 10 year lease til 2020 and Red Bull own the stadium naming rights til 2040. It is a form of franchising as Red Bull control the Club .
Is something like this our only hope? If so, Wasps must play ball until an alternative Stadium is built - Minimum realistically 10 years.

They are the German equivalent of MK Dons. Red Bull bought a 5th division team and pumped money into it. Red Bull also ave a team in Austria.

NorthernWisdom

Sounds horrendous, and all the worse for being in Germany, where their football governance is held up as a better model.

martcov

Sounds horrendous, and all the worse for being in Germany, where their football governance is held up as a better model.

Wolfsburg und Hannover VW, Bayer Leverkusen. Don't know the share relationship- if they can hold a maximum shareholding. Controversial, but Leipzig are Bundesliga..

NorthernWisdom

I wouldn't take top flight at all costs myself.

Is one of the (many!) reasons I was anti-SISU when they came in. Don't want people running a club for their own benefit. If they're rich and mad enough to want to tap into what a club's all about then great, happy days. Horrendous branding such as this, with the potential for a short lifespan (Uerdingen spring to mind) would have me run for the hills.

mark82

They are the German equivalent of MK Dons. Red Bull bought a 5th division team and pumped money into it. Red Bull also ave a team in Austria.

Not entirely true. They bought the league registration of a village club who were on the verge of going bust. The village in question is pretty much a suburb of Leipzig, so the team weren't really moved away from their own fans (equivalent of somewhere like Binley Woods or Burton Green), just to a bigger stadium in same municipal area. The village team dropped back down to a level where they were more comfortable financially and it secured their future. It should be noted the team owners contacted Red Bull too.

mark82

The club they took over was at level 5 of the German pyramid, the top level outside the control of the DFB (German Football Federation). Basically, the team was eventually selected as the DFB had vetoed (or clubs had pulled out) them taking over a club at a higher level and renaming them. RB in the name doesn't technically stand for Red Bull. They are RasenBallsport Leipzig. Even with the lesser restrictions at that level they weren't allowed to use the Red Bull name although it's obviously implied by using on RB.

mark82

Now, would I want this for Coventry City.....

Personally, I have no issue. It's something that could bring success. It's maybe even something that Jimmy Hill would have considered. It would have to be done sympathetically though. I could handle being called Red Bull Coventry City (let's face it, even if that was the official name we wouldn't use it). We'd have to keep sky blue and incorporate the Red Bull logo into it somehow. Sugarfree Red Bull is a light blue can I believe so could work for RB in their marketing too - particularly with new sugar tax. Away kit could do whatever they want to.

In terms of not owning stadium, it's not really an issue for them. The clubs they own are a marketing tool. I imagine they'd look to keep us at the Ricoh and buy the naming rights when they come up next (is it 2 years?).

It would be an adjustment but it is in keeping with some of the radical things JH did. The biggest issue at the moment is I'm not sure that Sisu are in a position where they want to sell.

Where we'd have to be careful is that they didn't go to the lengths they did when taking over SV Austria Salzburg and making them RB Salzburg. Horrendous.

Last edited:

martcov

Now, would I want this for Coventry City.....

Personally, I have no issue. It's something that could bring success. It's maybe even something that Jimmy Hill would have considered. It would have to be done sympathetically though. I could handle being called Red Bull Coventry City (let's face it, even if that was the official name we wouldn't use it). We'd have to keep sky blue and incorporate the Red Bull logo into it somehow. Sugarfree Red Bull is a light blue can I believe so could work for RB in their marketing too - particularly with new sugar tax. Away kit could do whatever they want to.

In terms of not owning stadium, it's not really an issue for them. The clubs they own are a marketing tool. I imagine they'd look to keep us at the Ricoh and buy the naming rights when they come up next (is it 2 years?).

It would be an adjustment but it is in keeping with some of the radical things JH did. The biggest issue at the moment is I'm not sure that Sisu are in a position where they want to sell.
I am in Leipzig at the moment. The RB Fans are well happy. The 'Franchising' criticism is Seen as anti East jealousy and they point the Finger at Bayer Lev Schalke Wolfsburg and Hoffenheim. I would take Red Bull any day as they need to be associated with success as part of their image and are not soley interested in a financial return.

mark82

I am in Leipzig at the moment. The RB Fans are well happy. The 'Franchising' criticism is Seen as anti East jealousy and they point the Finger at Bayer Lev Schalke Wolfsburg and Hoffenheim. I would take Red Bull any day as they need to be associated with success as part of their image and are not soley interested in a financial return.

When they took over Salzburg they changed logo, changed colours and even tried to list their founding date as 2005. Their fans weren't quite so happy.

mark82

What position did Red Bull Salzburg reach this year?

They won the league but that wasn't really the point I was making. They took a club with genuine history and wiped it out. Sometimes have to be careful what you wish for.

As I say, wouldn't be against it if it was done sympathetically.

martcov

I think Salzburg was different - it is their hometown and they probably thought they could get away with it...

Users who are viewing this thread