Really struggling to sleep after a night shift (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

sleep patterns all over the place
I've had roughly 4 hours sleep every night since last week

I finish at 6 and am contemplating having a couple of beers when I get in

Otis

When I did nights I split my sleep. I would come home at 6 and then stay up until about 10 and then go to sleep until about 3.

Would then try and catch a couple of hours later and make up time at the weekend.

I do sympathise with you, Daz.

Marty

I was the same. I was lucky to get 10 hours sleep over the week. Hated it.

Covrock

Same here. Used to drive artics on permanent nights. Was totally screwed. Did my heart in, took my license off me. Then I worked 12 hour shifts, 2 days 2 nights 4 off. It really fucked me over. People that don't or never worked shifts don't understand when your falling asleep after pint number 4. Yeah sympathies Daz.

trevelfarandwide

Think we had this discussion in the thread I created, however if you want something to help you get to sleep after a shit shift (I know, it's so absurd, but your body compensates for lack of sleep and runs your metabolism at full pelt to wake you up) I would suggest this:

Phernergan (promethazine) 25mg tablets and you can get them at any chemist (even Boots), but you have to ask as they're not on display. Promethazine is an old fashined anti-histamine, however it has very minimal sedative effects, so one or two 25mg tablets will absolutely help you drop off a lot easier, Daz.

It's not addictive, I promise you, and it's not harmful. It's just an old fashioned anti-histamine that the GMC found had benefits of helping people sleep better.

Please try it, because it's helped me a lot. :)

Otis

Think we had this discussion in the thread I created, however if you want something to help you get to sleep after a shit shift (I know, it's so absurd, but your body compensates for lack of sleep and runs your metabolism at full pelt to wake you up) I would suggest this:

Phernergan (promethazine) 25mg tablets and you can get them at any chemist (even Boots), but you have to ask as they're not on display. Promethazine is an old fashined anti-histamine, however it has very minimal sedative effects, so one or two 25mg tablets will absolutely help you drop off a lot easier, Daz.

It's not addictive, I promise you, and it's not harmful. It's just an old fashioned anti-histamine that the GMC found had benefits of helping people sleep better.

Please try it, because it's helped me a lot. :)
Sounds a little bit drug dealery to me.

What's your cut?

pastythegreat

I hate nights! Monday I won't sleep at all so come 6am Tuesday I've been up nearly 24hours. Will get 4 or 5 hours sleep. Wednesday is bin day so I'm ALWAYS woken up at some point by them, then can never get back to sleep! By Thursday night I'm like a zombie! The only day (Friday) I want to wake up early so I can sleep normally ish that night I'll sleep like a log til 4pm. Then I'll be up all night Friday night and tired all day Saturday.

Fingers crossed though, got an interview on Thursday (week today) for a promotion at work which will see me working straight days!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

trevelfarandwide

Sounds a little bit drug dealery to me.

What's your cut?

5% from dodgy Margaret at Boots HQ, but keep it on the down-low. She throws high heels like boomerangs, so it's best not to cross her.

Seriously though, Promethazine is safe and it's available anywhere for about a fiver. Boots, £5.09 for 56 tablets, tell them I sent you, you'll get a free metrosexual grooming kit. :)

jimmyhillsfanclub

I worked nights many many moons ago when I worked Security in London......it wasn't just my sleep it disrupted, it was my whole system & my meal times & appetite was screwed up too.....horrible feeling.

I was lucky though.....after a few months cutting my teeth on the edgier jobs, I landed night shifts in a plush office block in holborn......all staff had gone by about 9.00pm so I could get stoned & fall asleep on a couch in front of the TV in reception.......

Sky_Blue_Daz

Well I didn't have a beer

I tried a breathing technique where you breathe out really fast, hold your breath for 7 seconds
Take a deep breath hold that for 7 seconds then repeat the process 6 times
Went to bed at 9 and woke up at 3:30
So it worked abit
But I've asked to be put on earlies for a couple of weeks

bringbackrattles

Working outdoors in the fresh air in all weathers has been proven to be healthy. I used to sleep like a baby but as I've got older I get off okay but keep waking up so often feel knackered in the morning. There was a good phone in this week on five live about sleep and how important it is. To be honest if you can do it a power nap in the afternoon is great and you feel refreshed after say twenty minutes. But as for doing shifts I bet that's tough.

Gazolba

Just read these forums, It'll make anyone nod off.
Did you try the chamomile tea?

robbieray

skybluejelly

if you have Netflix ..put a series called the pyramid code on..its like magic..i put it on 5 minutes later ..snoring

clint van damme

mate of mine swears by eating a banana just before you go to bed.
I've never tried it though myself.

skybluedan

no matter what the issue raised in the OP Dan that would have been your solution!

yeah your right mate , im not addicted though I like it ,and even went in to work today for about an hour or so had a meeting with the managers , let them know what needs doing and was back home by 11am, couple of vapes bit of Xbox , then me afternoon nap , and then picked the boy up from school , took him to look at some little off-roader bikes, then town new trainers for me and boy , went for a steak baguette ,come home put the sand bags out because with the high tide and the wind that's coming , dropped the kid to his school disco , come home and a few more vapes for me while she goes and gets him , might even have a wank then some more Xbox , I'm a motivated stoner !

Last edited:

wingy

Finally got my routine back after a solid months work.
Can still take an hour or two to nod off though.

Terry Gibson's perm

The good lady was on nights last night so trying to keep three kids quiet at the moment

Users who are viewing this thread