Refugees welcome? (4 Viewers)

Grendel

The bottom line is that Hungary is a country that is racist and homophobic. It persecutes minorities. It's a very unpleasant culture.

I'm surprised the likes of Sir Ernie haven't moved there. It seems on par with their tolerance levels.

Macca

How do you work that out? Weren't UKIP the 3rd highest party for votes? Over 5 million in total. Quite a large %. Wouldn't say it's low

It's relatively low. My observations from listening and talking with people is that the majority favour immigration with no limits and in a democracy you go with the majority.

Sick Boy

The bottom line is that Hungary is a country that is racist and homophobic. It persecutes minorities. It's a very unpleasant culture.

I'm surprised the likes of Sir Ernie haven't moved there. It seems on par with their tolerance levels.

Indeed! I am surprised they haven't made the trio across, it's much more on par with their vile values and beliefs

Macca

Shame, I went to Budapest about 15 years ago was one of my favourite trips. What's happened over there?

SIR ERNIE

A poor effort and poor bait even by your standards, however I'll play along.

No plans to move to Hungary thanks, very happy with my fantastic life just as it is.

How about you though? You're noted for your vitriolic responses to anyone whose opinion differs from yours. It seems to me that you'd be well suited. Will you take Easyjet to Budapest or ferry to France and walk the rest?

Off for a round of golf now.

Have a great day and PUSB.

J

Jack Griffin

These are not marauding Goths, Huns etc.. They are escaping the fall of Iraq, Afganistan, Syria and Libya. Their arab world. If anything we are the Marauders..... We went into Afganistan, Iraq, Libya and supported the "good" rebels in Syria. Hardly comparable to the fall of Rome.

I specifically said today isn't the same, I was talking about the mass movement of people and the resultant effect on society not the underlying causes. You are thinking too literally.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrtrench

I read that of those crossing with the refugees, approx. one third are from Syria. However another third is from other countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan where they are escaping terror. One third are economic migrants from Albania etc. Obviously this is not a scientific or supportable statement: I suspect the majority of those kicking off are the economic migrants - I suspect this because those not forced to flee are more likely to have stronger personalities.

martcov

I read that of those crossing with the refugees, approx. one third are from Syria. However another third is from other countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan where they are escaping terror. One third are economic migrants from Albania etc. Obviously this is not a scientific or supportable statement: I suspect the majority of those kicking off are the economic migrants - I suspect this because those not forced to flee are more likely to have stronger personalities.

I read a report from a senior policeman in Munich and he said the criminalality was from people from places like North Africa and that there was surprising almost no criminality from Syrians.

NorthernWisdom

/sighs

The problem is the desire to pick on individual cases to prove a collective.

It's like the language used that homogenises and groups together... Others, in fact.

We could after all say all British people are depraved rioters based on various incidents around the country, although no doubt the paranoid would deide they woz all Muslim, innit. Or how about kicking off in a pub and trashing it? All those working class, should be kicked out.

It's the desire of many to find reasons to distance and repel that I find distrubing. No doubt me saying this will be read as 'excusing' by the paranoid, who struggle often for self reflection.

How you respond to things can show the ugly side of human nature, and the fear and paranoia often cropping up on this thread is indeed ugly.

No Harry, you are missing the point. We all know that some black people do bad things. They do that because they are member of the set Bad People, not because they are black.

People are people. Nationality, race etc are irrelevant. The acts of the individual should never be used to demonise the collective. as, for that matter, Ted Bundy wasn't a greatbloke because there was a charity collection in his home town once.

Nick

Administrator
/sighs

The problem is the desire to pick on individual cases to prove a collective.

It's like the language used that homogenises and groups together... Others, in fact.

We could after all say all British people are depraved rioters based on various incidents around the country, although no doubt the paranoid would deide they woz all Muslim, innit. Or how about kicking off in a pub and trashing it? All those working class, should be kicked out.

It's the desire of many to find reasons to distance and repel that I find distrubing. No doubt me saying this will be read as 'excusing' by the paranoid, who struggle often for self reflection.

How you respond to things can show the ugly side of human nature, and the fear and paranoia often cropping up on this thread is indeed ugly.

People are people. Nationality, race etc are irrelevant. The acts of the individual should never be used to demonise the collective. as, for that matter, Ted Bundy wasn't a greatbloke because there was a charity collection in his home town once.

I don't think anybody has said that every refugee is violent and kicking off. If anything most people have said they are ruining things for people who actually need help haven't they?

You posting that isn't excusing, excusing would be "well they are desperate etc etc".

What are people being paranoid about?

lewys33

I don't think anybody has said that every refugee is violent and kicking off. If anything most people have said they are ruining things for people who actually need help haven't they?

You posting that isn't excusing, excusing would be "well they are desperate etc etc".

What are people being paranoid about?

People are not excusing violence though either are they?

Nick

Administrator
People are not excusing violence though either are they?

Read back through the thread. People have been excused for kicking off with police because they are desperate etc.

If people want to act like that (whether they are refugees, pissed up people outside nightclubs, white, black, blue yellow or pink) then they should be dealt with shouldn't they with the law in the country?

armybike

Read back through the thread. People have been excused for kicking off with police because they are desperate etc.

If people want to act like that (whether they are refugees, pissed up people outside nightclubs, white, black, blue yellow or pink) then they should be dealt with shouldn't they with the law in the country?

I've not seen any posts excusing violence.

Nick

Administrator
Put it another way, Nick. Before you go into town and "kick off" imagine you've walked hundreds of miles with your wife and daughter to get there. You're all exhausted, frightened and desperate...

Thats just 1, on my phone so cant search!

armybike

Thats just 1, on my phone so cant search!

How is that excusing? It's offering an explanation of how the situation may have developed.

People sometimes shoplift because they are desperate due to being homeless, starving, no money. Because I'm aware of that and have been able to convey this information doesn't mean I excuse their actions.

lewys33

I don't think it is excusing them to say consider this that and the other. The police used tear gas on them, which was wrong - however it was a reaction to rioting which is also wrong. What was the rioting a reaction of? You can't just use whatever media you can get hold of to support your story, you need to look at the wider picture.

Nick

Administrator
How is that excusing? It's offering an explanation of how the situation may have developed.

People sometimes shoplift because they are desperate due to being homeless, starving, no money. Because I'm aware of that and have been able to convey this information doesn't mean I excuse their actions.

Because when people say that in reply to others who are ridiculing the violence it kind of looks a bit like excusing doesn't it?

Excuse: seek to lessen the blame attaching to (a fault or offence); try to justify.

Nick

Administrator
I don't think it is excusing them to say consider this that and the other. The police used tear gas on them, which was wrong - however it was a reaction to rioting which is also wrong. What was the rioting a reaction of? You can't just use whatever media you can get hold of to support your story, you need to look at the wider picture.

I'm not using any media, I thought the people at the London Riots were wrong too and should have been dealt with as much as possible.

I assume next time there is a terrorist attack, serial killer, armed robber etc then people will be saying "ah it is because of their religion, they did it because they had to feed a drugs habit". It's all trying to be politically correct and wrap them up in cotton wool.

If they want to riot they should be punished surely? If police want to go around attacking people for no reason then of course they should be dealt with.

If a country has a law saying they can use tear gas or rubber bullets to deal with riots, don't go there to riot. The same as you don't go to a country where the punishment is death with a big bag full of drugs and moan if you get caught.

It's all well and good saying the reasoning behind it, whether it is a group of football hooligans, refugees or anybody else kicking off like that it is still wrong isn't it?

armybike

Because when people say that in reply to others who are ridiculing the violence it kind of looks a bit like excusing doesn't it?

No it doesn't.

Because you process someone's comments in a particular way doesn't mean you can then state what their reply was trying to convey.

Nick

Administrator
No it doesn't.

Because you process someone's comments in a particular way doesn't mean you can then state what their reply was trying to convey.

It isn't about how it is processed, it is how it is written isn't it?

armybike

ah ok then, you are an arsehole.*

You take that how you want, I wrote it meaning the sky is blue outside by the way, you are just processing it wrong.

*This is an example.

And this brilliantly demonstrates exactly the point I was making. Go back and read my previous replies and then listen for the wwwwoooosssshhhhhhh!

lewys33

I'm not using any media, I thought the people at the London Riots were wrong too and should have been dealt with as much as possible.

This is where people lose an argument. You can't compare 2 completely different situations. You should pedal the "my grandad fought in ww2 why don't they" argument next .....

I assume next time there is a terrorist attack, serial killer, armed robber etc then people will be saying "ah it is because of their religion, they did it because they had to feed a drugs habit". It's all trying to be politically correct and wrap them up in cotton wool.

Another ridiculous comparison. Terrorist attack to feed a drugs habit?? Behave. It's about morals not political correctness.

If they want to riot they should be punished surely? If police want to go around attacking people for no reason then of course they should be dealt with.

Punished isn't really the right word, but probably the most sense you have made.

If a country has a law saying they can use tear gas or rubber bullets to deal with riots, don't go there to riot. The same as you don't go to a country where the punishment is death with a big bag full of drugs and moan if you get caught.

You love your comparisons. Tear gas is a solution used yes, but the right one? On that group of people? What I mean is the situation where tear gas was used - was it absolutely necessary to use that force on those people?

It's all well and good saying the reasoning behind it, whether it is a group of football hooligans, refugees or anybody else kicking off like that it is still wrong isn't it? Football hooligans or refugees, it's hard to tell where the line ends. Violence is wrong yes. So lock the borders and throw away the key - they are all the same after all. Just like we are all murderers and rapists like those ones that go to jail every now and then.

Nick

Administrator
No, my point is if people want to riot then they shouldn't be let in should they (I mean the people actually involved in rioting, not every single refugee)? I have never said it is all of them as it isn't which is why I have said they would be ruining it for everybody else who isn't kicking off and wants help.

There are lots of rapists and murders in other countries but if I had been convicted it I wouldn't get into their countries would I? Where have I said we shouldn't let anybody in because of them? A fair few pages back I was saying we shouldn't let people in willy nilly, they should be vetted first and then allowed in.

Why isn't punished the right word? Does that mean they can get away with things because of their home country while in other countries? Of course they should be punished (just the ones rioting, again, not every single refugee).

How much can being a refugee mean people can get away with things they couldn't if they weren't? I'm not allowed to compare the videos of the people rioting (again, not all before you try and make out I think that) with football hooligans?

ps. I was talking about drugs habit as a reason for crime in general, hence I also said armed robbery and not just terrorism.

armybike

How much can being a refugee mean people can get away with things they couldn't if they weren't?

Who has said they can get away with things that others wouldn't?

Users who are viewing this thread