Relegation thread (1 Viewer)

Otis

Yes, I know, I know, jumping the gun a bit.

Not trying to be pessimistic, but there are now just 20 games left and we have only won 4 games all season.

Let's go with the usual benchmark of 50 points being safe.

That means, out of the last 20 games we will probably have to ...

Win 9, draw 2

Or

Win 8, draw 5

Or

Win 7, draw 8

How doable do you think that is?

BackRoomRummermill

Its possible........ but the team and coach need to get their act together pretty quick, we need to build a run of results to gain confidence.

Otis

Its possible........ but the team and coach need to get their act together pretty quick, we need to build a run of results to gain confidence.
Well that's what I thought we were doing until today.

Two draws and a Checkatrade Trophy win. Thought we were on the up.

Problem I see is that though we have Beavon, we still don't have an out and out goalscorer.

Lameiras, Reid and Jones's final balls are generally poor, therefore limiting the chances we create and we are always letting in sloppy goals.

Hopefully Clarke and Foley will help rectify the latter, but our final ball is poor and we have no goalscorer.

If Stevenson goes we also need a central midfield playmaker.

It's a tall order.

Besides, who is giving away 20 goal a season strikers at this time of year?

rob9872

Being completely bottom would normally really wind me up. I actually feel nothing. Pleased on a personal level that I'm not as down as I might be, but probably more likely that I have accepted this situation as normal which is more worrying.

Otis

Or Win 6, draw 11

Or Win 5, draw 14

Just for completeness.

Well yep. Just thought the most likely. If we win 6 and draw 11, that means only 3 more defeats for the entire rest of the season. Not at all looking feasible it is. :(

Otis

Really can't see it happening. Still might be nice to go down and win a few games. That's always gone so swimmingly in the past.

Yes. And then this time next year we can wonder how it's going to feel to drop down to the Conference.

rob9872

Yes. And then this time next year we can wonder how it's going to feel to drop down to the Conference.

Not before a few seasons of abject failure, hope, resentment and disappointment.

shmmeee

On the bright side, the further we drop the less worrying the prospect of liquidating the club and starting again is.

Liquid Gold

I just can't see us going down. Slade has improved us no end and we were so close to 7 points out of the last 3 instead of 2. 4 points adrift in a month and I'll start to panic.

KG7

This league is dog shit. I've just looked through the fixtures and picked out fifteen teams we can beat between now and the end of the season. If Slade can get hold of some pace up front, some goals, and some steel and guile in midfield (or keep Stevenson) then we'll be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: vow

Otis

Have to say though, and I do think many of us can feel and sense it, if we do go down we can expect a mass turning of backs on the club from fans.

I think there will be a substantial leap in anger levels aimed at our owners and an awful lot of fans voting with their feet and walking away from the club to join the armchair seated masses.

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
unless slade pulls off a miracle striker or signs another 2 players that change it for us i just dont know, you really wonder where the wins will come from, not panicking yet but its worrying!

Colin Steins Smile

The more worrying side is though, the closer we get to Coventry United.
At this rate Coventry United will cross us being relegated as they are promoted. There is one thing to look forward to and that is being able to walk your dog whilst watching us play on a park pitch in the Sunday league. Many thanks to our fantastic leadership over 20 years

sylus

4 games won all season tells you all you need to know of where we will be playing football next season..league 2..relegation is certain

Gazolba

This league is dog shit. <snip> If Slade can get hold of some pace up front, some goals, and some steel and guile in midfield (or keep Stevenson) then we'll be okay.

<snip>
Assuming of course our opponents will have none of those things.

Last edited:

shmmeee

Last three years the team bottom at this time was bottom at the end of the season. Season before second from bottom. Season before third from bottom. Season before that 4th from bottom. Season before bottom. Season before third from bottom.

Can't be jarred going back further, but it's not looking good.

Edit: went back to 2004/05 when Division Two became League One. No team bottom at this time has ever stayed up.

Edit 2: FOUND ONE! 2001/02 Northampton were bottom at this point and finished one place outside the relegation zone! It can be done folks!

Edit 3: Cambridge United 1999/2000 as well. That's it, I'm done.

Last edited:

Otis

Last three years the team bottom at this time was bottom at the end of the season. Season before second from bottom. Season before third from bottom. Season before that 4th from bottom. Season before bottom. Season before third from bottom.

Can't be jarred going back further, but it's not looking good.

Edit: went back to 2004/05 when Division Two became League One. No team bottom at this time has ever stayed up.

Edit 2: FOUND ONE! 2001/02 Northampton were bottom at this point and finished one place outside the relegation zone! It can be done folks!

Edit 3: Cambridge United 1999/2000 as well. That's it, I'm done.

Oh dear. Not looking at all good is it.

Defeats haven't bothered me all season, but today's did and that's because it was such a body blow to our hopes and it was a game we dare not lose.

KG7

What, like Chesterfield you mean?

Yep and they were truly awful but like most games this season there wasn't much in it. It's looking dire but Slade needs to focus on doing enough to get us falling the right side of the small margin rather than the wrong side. A goal scorer, some pace and an addition or two in midfield should be enough I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cov kid 55

I went to the game today full of optimism, new manager, new players, some recent decent results - and what a reality check! We were really poor today, I can't remember a game when we played so little football. It was an awful game, any football that was played was played by Chesterfield, and they were poor. However, they still managed, what, 63% possession, we hardly strung any passes together, the ball spent most of the time in the air.

Otis

I went to the game today full of optimism, new manager, new players, some recent decent results - and what a reality check! We were really poor today, I can't remember a game when we played so little football. It was an awful game, any football that was played was played by Chesterfield, and they were poor. However, they still managed, what, 63% possession, we hardly strung any passes together, the ball spent most of the time in the air.
Good job we had tall target men in Beavon and Tudgay then, eh!!

trevelfarandwide

I really don't see how we can get out of this horrid mess...even if Slade acquires a goal-scoring forward, where will we make this points gap up? Confidence levels in the dressing room must be shot to hell, especially after this game and I hope I'm proven wrong by the playing staff at CCFC, but I see us going down.

Realistically, we're a goner. But, as always, there's hope even in the most hopeless of situations; this team has to find it in themselves to fight like wolverines for every ball, every tackle, and every opportunity to bag a goal. Can they do it? I hope so.

If CCFC drop into L2, well...words don't adequately describe the feeling in my heart at such an abysmal, bleak prospect.

skybluetony176

Trying my best to be optimistic but unless something drastic changes and my maths is correct we're on coarse to finish with about 38 points and that tells me that we're as good as down. Can't see how we're going to find players and get them gelling in time to find us an extra 12 points over and above our average. I hope I'm wrong but I suspect we're well and truly fucked.

Evo1883

We will go down in my opinion ,can't see where the goals are to keep us up

skybluetony176

Found something to be optimistic about. Just looked at last year's final table and 47 points would have been enough to keep us up. So we only need another 10 points over and above our current average. Luckily I didn't cancel the end of season champagne order before double checking.

Gazolba

I don't like to look too far ahead. As it stands, we need 3 consecutive wins to get out of the relegation spots. But with only 4 wins all season, it's a faint hope.
Each player needs to be injected with a secret formula to make them faster, stronger, smarter and taller.

oucho

Otis i will lay you a fiver that we stay up. Just like last year, let's make the loser donate to a charity.

Users who are viewing this thread