Relegation thread (1 Viewer)

Otis

Well trouble is, I am not convinced we will go down. Just think it doesn't look at all good at the moment.

We are not opposite in our thinking.

If I was sure we would go down I would most certainly hold you to that bet. As there are still 20 games left however, there is still time to turn this round.

What Slade does in the next couple of weeks in January is going to be key.

Ask me again when the transfer deadline has passed.

Jimmy Hill's Chin

Sadly don't see any hope. As well as our players being very short on quality they also don't have the mental resolve to see out games which we saw in Slade's first two games. Those four dropped points in injury time demonstrates a team totally lacking in self belief. At this stage of the season you are where you deserve to be. Four wins out of 26 speaks volumes. I'll say we'll get 3 more wins at best and will end up with about 35 points. We'll finish bottom and be down by the end of March. It's our rightful place given the lack of ability on the pitch.

bringbackrattles

To stay in this division we now have to go and play like a team going for a play off spot. In other words win game after game and hope teams in and around us lose or draw. Can you see this happening ?

Irish Sky Blue

I just can't see us going down. Slade has improved us no end and we were so close to 7 points out of the last 3 instead of 2. 4 points adrift in a month and I'll start to panic.

I would have agreed with that until today. We were truly awful. The style of play really seemed to be hoof and chase and with two little guys up front it really didn't seem to make sense. Chesterfield were as bad as we were and the game could have gone either way but the performance and style of play doesn't bode well for the next 20 games.

stevefloyd

number 1 priority is a striker... no ifs and buts... we need goals to kill games the defence can cope to an extent followed by a nasty bastard in midfield who can get another 30 or 40% out of players around him, without these I fear we will soon be visiting new grounds......bad bad news

oucho

Anyone think that Slade will go out and try to sign a beanpole striker before the window closes?

Is Clive Platt still available?

Captain Dart

The form table is a bit scary..
upload_2017-1-14_20-47-2.png

Otis

Only 8 goals scored in the last 10 games, zero wins and 21 goals against.

That form is not just relegation form, it is bottom of the table cast adrift by sometime in March form.

Great_Expectations

I can't provide any justifiable or logical reasoning as to why, but I am not convinced we will go down.

Things are bleak league wise, but with three (maybe four) new additions - centre forward, winger (x2 ideally) and a centre midfielder (if BS goes) - plus Stokes back, and we suddenly look a stronger side. I am a little worried if Rose/Reilly are Slades first choice midfield two, as surely Bigi or Stevenson offer more creativity, but if shit football means we stay up, obviously we'd all accpet it.

If we go down I worry for the clubs support base, I've always had a ST (bar the season we won't name) but even I would seriously consider whether to renew*. I already know of those who won't go.

*and then I would cause I'm a fool.

Terry Gibson's perm

Most seem to be saying if we do this and that in the window we might be alright, without wishing to piss on anybody's chips but the window has been open for nearly two weeks and we have brought in a defender who is ok, a midfielder who is no better than what we had and a striker who runs a lot but doesn't score many.

Fisher kept saying that there was budget available in Jan was this because he knew the loans would all go back and free up wages.

nicksig

We haven't got a hope of staying up. We're going to go the same way as Luton, or worst still Rushden. The best we can hope for is that we can survive in League 2

st john

Yes, I know, I know, jumping the gun a bit.

Not trying to be pessimistic, but there are now just 20 games left and we have only won 4 games all season.

Let's go with the usual benchmark of 50 points being safe.

That means, out of the last 20 games we will probably have to ...

Win 9, draw 2

Or

Win 8, draw 5

Or

Win 7, draw 8

How doable do you think that is?
And even the 4 wins were the result of a phenomen called new manager bounce.

Sick Boy

Yes, I know, I know, jumping the gun a bit.

Not trying to be pessimistic, but there are now just 20 games left and we have only won 4 games all season.

Let's go with the usual benchmark of 50 points being safe.

That means, out of the last 20 games we will probably have to ...

Win 9, draw 2

Or

Win 8, draw 5

Or

Win 7, draw 8

How doable do you think that is?

Thanks for that. Until today I thought that we would stay up, not now though. What do you expect when you have one of the worst owners in football, a council trying to create a city of rugby and vulture London rugby club in the city.

Can't we just move to Rugby? ;)

Last edited:

Chip Batch

Leicester were bottom of the premiership in Jan 15

Their form after went on to be that of a title contender and carried on for the next season with them winning the Premier League.

That's not going to happen to us.

Edit. I do think we can still get out of this. As shit as we are, we're still somehow in touching distance of safety.

Kingokings204

I'm at a point where I am beyond caring about the result or if we are bottom.

The club has no soul anymore and we won't be anything other than a sinking ship under Sisu and a Fisher.

At the moment we are heading to L2 and with the same owners expect to be bottom of L2 this time next year.

That's the thing we can only go down. When we get relegated and less fans purchase a season ticket then the budget will have to be cut again in line with it. Meaning we will roughly finish mid table in league 2. You could argue after morecombe and Cambridge this year you would be forgiven to say we would finish lower half of league 2.

We were always going down anyway. Mowbray kept us up last day of the season 2 years ago at crawley. This has been coming.

Sorry but we are heading for the conference within 5 years.

The Lurker

This league is dog shit. I've just looked through the fixtures and picked out fifteen teams we can beat between now and the end of the season. If Slade can get hold of some pace up front, some goals, and some steel and guile in midfield (or keep Stevenson) then we'll be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you go today? Have you been this season? Have you been the past 10 matches? If the answer to any questions is yes then you are deluded. We've looked relegation fodder since November. Eveidence of today hasn't changed that opinion against a bottom 4 team.

The Lurker

Yep and they were truly awful but like most games this season there wasn't much in it. It's looking dire but Slade needs to focus on doing enough to get us falling the right side of the small margin rather than the wrong side. A goal scorer, some pace and an addition or two in midfield should be enough I think.

lol minute ago you said we're staying up now it's a goal scorer and 2 midfielders like it's easy. Make your mind up

Terry Gibson's perm

Thanks for that. Until today I thought that we would stay up, not now though. What do you expect when you have one of the worst owners in football, a council trying to create a city of rugby and vulture London rugby club in the city.

And rename the town Football

ccfc92

The remaining transfer window is crucial IMO.

Sell all decent players, and bring in mediocre, then yes, we are down.

Keep Willis, Stevenson etc and draft in some talent, we have a shot.

I know which is most likely... :(

Terry Gibson's perm

That's the thing we can only go down. When we get relegated and less fans purchase a season ticket then the budget will have to be cut again in line with it. Meaning we will roughly finish mid table in league 2. You could argue after morecombe and Cambridge this year you would be forgiven to say we would finish lower half of league 2.

We were always going down anyway. Mowbray kept us up last day of the season 2 years ago at crawley. This has been coming.

Sorry but we are heading for the conference within 5 years.

we will be relegated next year whichever of the divisions we are in you cannot run a football club like they are trying.

SkyBlue_Bear83

This is reminiscent of a few years back when people had us relegated after a home defeat to Leyton Orient.

Worrying times for sure, no denying that but plenty of football to be played between now and May and also plenty of time to add to the squad between now and the end of January.

We have to improve, no doubt about it but there is time for us to improve. If we're 4 points adrift with two to play, then thats the time to start setting up the panic stations.

Skyblueweeman

The only positive thing I can see is Pompey not coming up and I might therefore have a game 10 minutes down the road next season.

oucho

Before today I had hope that under RS we would build some new momentum, ship out the dead wood, bring in some new faces and generally see an upturn in form that would see us well out of relegation contention by the end of March, so seeing us rise above the fray and not spend the run-in in a relegation dog fight.

Today has convinced me (sorry, I'm a slow learner) that, at best, the season is going to go down to the wire. Even if we bring some decent players in during the rest of the window, we'll have to fight tooth and nail to still be in contention for staying up during the final weeks. The squad at present does not, to me, look like one that is going to stand up well to the pressure and physical requirement of a relegation scrap (after all, they haven't done thus far).

As per my post to Otis earlier, I do think we'll sneak survival but only because 4 other teams are even weaker and also only by the skin of our teeth. The end of the 07/08 campaign springs to mind. We're not dead yet but we need some fricKin CPR stat!!.

The Lurker

Anyone remind me when have we been bottom this Time of the year? Never why are fans so optimistic will stay up? We were woeful today

shmmeee

Just started working in Rugby. Fucking hell if you think our council likes rugby, can't bloody get away from it there. Giant eggs outside the train station, eggs on every bin, repressed homosexuality everywhere. (OK maybe not that last one)

ICHAN

Backroomroumermill you were saying Slade wasn't the man to get us through this (match thread) and you wanted someone else to be manager so why worry about it cus we are doomed anyway and you can carry on thinking you were right according to you, ever thought of looking on the bright side of life, worse things happen at sea as they say, bffs at least be consistent in your thoughts and criticism.
One loss that's all, just one of them things, let's all look doomed and gloomed,there's still enough games to stay up, what will you all be saying if we win the next game?

Users who are viewing this thread