Relegation thread (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

Where's the bottom of the cycle? The Midlands League Premier?
Maybe we can start entering the Birmingham Senior Cup again.

davebart

When Mowbray said it was Men against Boys I don't believe he was complaining about the average age of his own squad. He was talking about the attitude of the players.
When you are 21 you are old enough to drive a car, marry, divorce, fight in a war, vote, smoke and drink. You are a man.
Unfortunately these men are mentally soft. No fight, no spirit.
That is why neither Venus nor Slade has been able to do anything with them. Wycombe are not a prolific side and yet played a weakened team on Tuesday that we only just saw off.
No doubt if Slade is still here next season there will be a massive clear out.

stupot07

To hit the magic 50 point mark banded about we need:

29 points from 16 games = 1.81 ppg or 83 points over a 46 game season

Minimum of

W7 D8 L1 = 29 points
W8 D5 L3 = 29 points
W9 D2 L5 = 29 points
W10 D0 L6 = 30 points

It ain't over to the fat lady sings, but I can hear her warming up loud and clear.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

steve82

Beavon aside, why didn't the fucker stick with Turnbull, Harries and DKE who all played well on Tuesday?

Fucking inconsistent team selection is one of the reasons we're going down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was Turnbull that good, really? He did a job v Wycombe but had the help of several others around akinfenwa in the second half, man to man he didn't win all his duels alone.
I agree a bit of consistency and confidence may of worked but he's been bang average and made mistakes all season.
Bit like JJ being carried around the pitch in celebration... only his pace has any impact all season. Still young, still a lot to learn, heroic status is not his yet.
DKE however should of started for me, one of the very few that bleeds sky blue and was no doubt first in for this mornings inquest!

oucho

Stupot, 83 points woild have been enough for 4th in last season's table. We'd have needed more than 46 to stay up lat season, so perhaps we can afford to lose one of the games you've put down as a win.

But the longer this run goes on, the more monumental would be the change in form required for us to pull off survival. It's not impossible for us to go on a storming survival run but there's nothing in the wind that implies this is coming, other than Yakubu potentially which shows you just how much we are now having to clutch at straws to still talk about the prospect of staying up.

Otis

Beavon aside, why didn't the fucker stick with Turnbull, Harries and DKE who all played well on Tuesday?

Fucking inconsistent team selection is one of the reasons we're going down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That team he put out yesterday didn't inspire any of us on here. A few shakes of heads from people and not much else.

I suggested a line-up yesterday. I think we needed to try something different, something a bit more adventurous or novel.

I personally think this might have worked really well....

RCC

Foley Clarke Rawson Turnbull

DKE Rose Reilly Haynes

Thomas Tudgay

I actually said Folivi instead of Tudgay, but this was before the team was announced and we knew he was injured.

Turnbull can play left back and has done many times in his career. With this team you don't drop Turnbull or DKE, both of which had great games on Tuesday.

In having Foley with DKE in front of him and Turnbull with Haynes in front of him, you are strengthening both sides defensively, but also have two very attacking full backs playing in advanced positions.

I'm not saying it should have been that, but it was an option and I think Slade needed to do something different and try and outflank the opposition.

I think a fair few of us saw the team sheet yesterday and were not at all inspired by it for a single second.

Paxman II

Have not been inspired by any of his team selections so far. Bewildered in fact.
I would follow the conventional wisdom here and say that's it, we are down. But looking at the fixtures for us and the teams sitting in the bottom 5 or 6, we have a chance of getting out of this if we turn it around now. With each passing game we have to post points on the board.

The biggest issue for me is Slade. He has shown me that he lacks vision and tactical awareness along with an insistence on picking players most of us would agree don't deserve a start. Why can he not see that? As a motivator I think he needs a rocket up his own ass, so how do we suppose he is putting himself across to the players?
I hope he sits with them and thrash out the issues and get the players thoughts. We need a strong captain who can shake the players in the dressing room and be a real leader. We don't have any of this and we are bumbling along without urgency into an irretrievable situation.

The GK's have been poor with a litany of errors and I truly believe Oggy must be let go for this reason alone. I respect him and appreciate his legendary status but he has held sway in and around the place during our huge fall from grace and is the common denominator. He is not just the keeper coach that is clear, so he is part of the problem and the link to past glory that needs to go before we can accept where the club is now and start dealing with it.

I think we are down, but while hope is there and I do think we have good enough players, I will keep what little optimism I have and tune in on Tuesday night fingers crossed that we will fight for survival.

Adge

When Mowbray said it was Men against Boys I don't believe he was complaining about the average age of his own squad. He was talking about the attitude of the players.
When you are 21 you are old enough to drive a car, marry, divorce, fight in a war, vote, smoke and drink. You are a man.
Unfortunately these men are mentally soft. No fight, no spirit.
That is why neither Venus nor Slade has been able to do anything with them. Wycombe are not a prolific side and yet played a weakened team on Tuesday that we only just saw off.
No doubt if Slade is still here next season there will be a massive clear out.
I've been saying that for a while-mentally too weak and always too nice. When was the last time you seen Haynes,Finch,Lameires,Thomas,Bigi,Jones Harries et al get stuck in. Can't even remember the last time one got a yellow card. Same for the majority of the squad. No real fighters in what is a mans league.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

...probably a week before the cup final.

Gazolba

16 games left. Minimum of 30 points needed (possibly more).
That's 10 wins, or
9 wins and 3 draws, or
8 wins and 6 draws

singers_pore

I wouldn't be surprised if we fail to win another league game all season. Half of our players are not good enough for L2 never mind L1.

oucho

It's win or bust...Yet again.

At what point will you stop posting this? Every game you say this, then after lose confidently predict "that's it, we're down", then in the run-up to the next game start with the "last chance saloon" stuff again.

I know it keeps it interesting especially with a third of the season still to go, but you must either think we're down, or not. It was after Millwall that I lost all realistic hope.

After what date/match will we be definitely relegated

Exactly. Personal preference but I think most fans have either lost hope in the last 3-4 games or will do so if the run carries on like this before the end of the month. There might be the odd nutter insisting on waiting til it's mathematical, but for me we are too far gone for this to be turned round realistically.

Otis

At what point will you stop posting this? Every game you say this, then after lose confidently predict "that's it, we're down", then in the run-up to the next game start with the "last chance saloon" stuff again.

I know it keeps it interesting especially with a third of the season still to go, but you must either think we're down, or not. It was after Millwall that I lost all realistic hope.

Exactly. Personal preference but I think most fans have either lost hope in the last 3-4 games or will do so if the run carries on like this before the end of the month. There might be the odd nutter insisting on waiting til it's mathematical, but for me we are too far gone for this to be turned round realistically.

Twas clearly a joke. Bit tetchy aren't we? ;)

People just keep saying such and such a game is a must win and we lose, then the next game is a must win and we lose and then ....

You get the picture?

It was a joke. I already think we are down and have done for some time and have said so on a number of occasions.

Otis

Why do you think I put it's win or bust ... Yet again??

Yet again because people keep saying it and I was making light of the fact that people keep saying it.

Oh well.......Sigh.

:)

oucho

Why do you think I put it's win or bust ... Yet again??

Yet again because people keep saying it and I was making light of the fact that people keep saying it.

Oh well.......Sigh.

:)
Wasn't being tetchy mate sorry, thought you were doing the same as others for whom its 'if we don't win today we're down' every week of a losing run!

Otis

Wasn't being tetchy mate sorry, thought you were doing the same as others for whom its 'if we don't win today we're down' every week of a losing run!
Nah. :)

Going to take a miracle.

Unless Slade can conjure up either Yakubu and a brilliant very fast winger who can beat players at will and put in fantastic balls into the box, I am not sure we will even manage anything more than 2 or 3 wins, let alone 10.

I always look for a glimmer of hope, look to the team and say to myself that we are not far off being a decent side, or that if we keep playing the way we are it will all come good.

You can play well and lose and then you believe that if you keep playing well the results will come.

We, this season on the other hand, are dour, dire, mistake ridden and can't score goals at all.

We are scoring less than a goal a game on average. When people talk of then winning 4 or 5 in a row you can't help but smile.

As I say, we now need someone capable of bagging about 10 goals or more from now until the end of the season, but then someone to create the openings for us to score too.

It's not even as if we are creating lots of chances and missing them. We aren't even creating the chances, hence the need for some creativity as well.

Anyway, back on topic, tomorrow is a must win.

Yet again. ;)

rupert_bear

Lose Tuesday night and I fully expect the fans to turn on Russell Slade I haven't criticised him yet and will still give him a chance to improve things but his irrational team selection and tactics are there for all of us to see an ex player said to me the other day he is a non league standard manager and the failure to sort the goalkeeping situation fatal. Once the euphoria of getting to Wembley died down if we analysed the Wycombe match we were outplayed and dominated for 70 minutes again by a fourth division team in fact winning that match was like a giant killing

Hobo

Slade has proven he can't conjure up anything. I don't even think Beavon was down to him. I think it was Burton off loading a 32 year old struggling in the Championship; so they could take a punt on the younger Sordell.

oucho

At the current rate, the debate won't be "can we stay up?" but "can we get to thirty points?"

oucho

What were you doing writing on here at just gone 5am?

oucho

Otis

anyone know if we can be relegated before MK away?
We have 7 games up until then. That will leave 9 games and 27 points still to play for when we face MK, so no really.

We can't realistically get to that far behind in the next 7 matches.

Last edited:

Edgey95

We have 7 games up until then. That will leave 9 games and 27 points still to play for hen we face MK, so no really.

We can't realistically get to that far behind in the next 7 matches.
Alright mate, nice one!

Otis

So, another game down.

4 wins in 31 games. Unbelievable. Just 4 wins in 31 games and now there are just 15 games remaining.

To get to the magical 50 points (still might not be enough) we need ...

9 wins, 1 draw, just 5 defeats

8 wins, 4 draws, just 3 defeats

7 wins, 7 draws, 1 defeat

Can't win, struggle to score, let in silly goals.

Impossible task unless Slade has some inspirational, fantastically brilliant players waiting in the wings.

no_loyalty

I'd say we need to win all of remaining home games to be in with a chance

Users who are viewing this thread