Return to the good old days (1 Viewer)

Grendel

So yesterday we had some discussion around Slade and his style of football and how the players have too high technical ability for his style of football.

Some have even suggested that we should have stuck with the great entertainer Tony Mowbray.

So let's review the evidence - this makes disturbing viewing so I'd suggest the squeamish should look away now;

In the last 34 games Mowbray had in charge we accumulated 33 points.

In those games we scored 34 goals - 14 were in 3 games so in 31 of those games we managed 20 goals.

In 34 games we managed 7 wins - all last season - and 3 in the last 4 games of the campaign.

25 of those games had Cole, Vincelot, Armstrong, Murphy etc. In which we managed 27 points and 28 goals.

Overall in the last 52 games we've had 11 wins 50 goals and 43 points.

Ah yes the good old days. Slade needs to turn the clock back.

davebart

I want to know what happened in the dressing room at Christmas 2015. What happened to the players? How did they become shit overnight?

Chip Batch

So yesterday we had some discussion around Slade and his style of football and how the players have too high technical ability for his style of football.

Some have even suggested that we should have stuck with the great entertainer Tony Mowbray.

So let's review the evidence - this makes disturbing viewing so I'd suggest the squeamish should look away now;

In those games we scored 34 goals - 14 were in 3 games so in 31 of those games we managed 20 goals.

In 34 games we managed 7 wins - all last season - and 3 in the last 4 games of the campaign.

25 of those games had Cole, Vincelot, Armstrong, Murphy etc. In which we managed 27 points and 28 goals.

Cole was no good. Seemed like a great bloke to have around this place and raised our profile but on the pitch he offered little in open play. His legs were gone.

Murphy and Armstrong dropped off massively from Christmas onwards. They were young players and it was their first season of playing league football and the physical demands of playing every week and the pressure of being the main goal threat in the team probably took its toll. Not unexpected really.

Grendel

I want to know what happened in the dressing room at Christmas 2015. What happened to the players? How did they become shit overnight?

Really we just relied on Armstrong and Murphy. Once they dried up then so did the team.

The introduction of Cole and to a lesser extent Bigi also I believe was a massive error of judgement.

In the end though it's pre Christmas that was the fluke.

shy_tall_knight

What surprised me yesterday was the formation 3 centre halves playing as centre halves with a fourth playing as right back, can't be classified as wing back, the central midfield were all IMO definsively minded, the only creativity being expected to come from haynes Thomas & Beavon - we were at home FFS. At 0-0 in the last 15 mins we weren't being dominated we did commit any significant numbers forward - how did Slade expect us to score was he playing for a draw, Fleetwood were OK but nothing special, why so negative ?

The Lurker

Really we just relied on Armstrong and Murphy. Once they dried up then so did the team.

The introduction of Cole and to a lesser extent Bigi also I believe was a massive error of judgement.

In the end though it's pre Christmas that was the fluke.
It wasn't a fluke. We were beating teams with ease. Gillingham at home no fluke. Burton away no fluke. For me not retaining Kent was the big reason. His last game we spanked Crewe

NortonSkyBlue

We scraped through to the transfer window and lost Kent and then sold Maddison( not the same after the transfer) we then went for experience, which the fans were asking for, and when that bombed we spiraled downwards. The manager failed to respond, failed to inspire and motivate and the players failed him.
It was a cocktail from hell that we are still living with.
I am not sure what Mowbray's mindset was in the summer but whatever it was it didn't work out.
I blame the owners for many of our problems but that one lies with Mowbray.

davebart

Thinking about it maybe not being allowed to invest any of the Maddison money in the team changed everything.

skybluetony176

At this club I honestly don't think it matters who the manager is, this team are going
To struggle in league 2 next year, non league beckons.

That's my biggest concern. I've resigned to the fact that we're going down and I can't see anything changing in league two. So far Slade just reminds me of Thorn and if he stays on next season I can't see our fortunes changing on field. Couple that to the SISU problem and the downward spiral is set to continue. I really fear for our club.

rupert_bear

But Tony Mowbray isn't here now or has been for a few months we are no better at best probably worse, why ? Are we as Peter Bodak pointed out full of players simply not up to league football.

Fergusons_Beard

Players don't have 'too high a technical ability' for Slade.

The point is that by playing hoof ball and bypassing these players by punting aimless crap in the air, the manager is not taking advantage of the technical ability of said players.

and yes I'd have Mowbray back in a heartbeat.

Grendel-I presume you went to Venus in charge of Oxford UTD at home this year?

Played them off the park with the sort of pass and move intricacies that had the crowd purring and the opposition grasping at thin air.

Compare that performance with the shite yesterday.

It's not about labelling, or excuses or pointing the finger.

Fans just don't understand why the inconsistency.

This season we lost 4-1 to Bristol Rovers and suffered a similar defeat to Cambridge yet we managed a draw (and an unlucky defeat away) to promotion certs Bolton.

THATS why fans angry, I honestly don't believe we have the worst team ever.

What I do believe is that this team is getting the worst results ever.

I can't remember a time when we have been totally trounced by so many mediocre teams. (Yesterday being an example).

Slade, the players and the owners all have to take a portion of blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evo1883

Funny thing is about fans like yourself , is you actually avoid looking at reason and jump straight to conclusion .

Are you genuinely suggesting that with the 7 injuries to key players at the back over the course of the season is not partly why we fell away ??
Are you suggesting that when Steve waggot approached the ownership i requesting a small amount of funds to push for promotion in January to be told no , is not part of the reason we took a gamble on guff like hunt and Henderson .
The first 10 games this season under Mowbray were for the most part more frustrating because we couldn't score , we looked organised and still played good football , playing teams like Bradford off the park until Jordan turnbull decided to get sent off , missing absolute sitters against sides like Oldham at home all the while maintaining a top 6 defensive record until he left .

And in my honest opinion , Tony mowbrays Coventry city side always tried to play football the right way , I enjoyed his football more than any other managers style over the last 15 -20 years , give or take brief periods under certain managers .
Wether you like it or not Grendel , the stats say Tony Mowbray was the most successful long term manager (over a season) under the terrible guidance of our owners .
And wether you like it or not , it's extremely hard to solely blame Tony Mowbray for the way we fell away last season , because I firmly believe if players like turner , cargill , stokes , and Johnson never suffered long term injuries during the course of our season , we would have made the playoffs comfortably .

But forget reason eh

The football now is atrocious in comparison to Mowbrays CCFC

Last edited:

Grendel

Funny thing is about fans like yourself , is you actually avoid looking at reason and jump straight to conclusion .

Are you genuinely suggesting that with the 7 injuries to key players at the back over the course of the season is not partly why we fell away ??
Are you suggesting that when Steve waggot approached the ownership in January requesting a small amount of funds to push for promotion to be told no , is not part of the reason we took a gamble on guff like hunt and Henderson .

And in my honest opinion , Tony mowbrays Coventry city side always tried to play football the right way , I enjoyed his football more than any other managers style over the last 15 -20 years , give or take brief periods under certain managers .
Wether you like it or not Grendel , the stats say Tony Mowbray was the most successful long term manager (over a season) under the terrible guidance of our owners .
And wether you like it or not , it's extremely hard to solely blame Tony Mowbray for the way we fell away last season , because I firmly believe if players like turner , cargill , stokes , and Johnson never suffered long term injuries during the course of our season , we would have made the playoffs comfortably .

But forget reason eh

The football now is atrocious in comparison to Mowbrays CCFC

Waggott left the club in early November. If you are going to start quoting stats as least get them right.

Evo1883

Waggott left the club in early November. If you are going to start quoting stats as least get them right.

It doesn't matter when he left , I'm telling you what happened from the horses mouth , asked for money to strengthen and push on in January as he believed Mowbray would take us up , was told no .
Left soon after ...shocker

If you are going to try and correct me , then at least understand who I've actually spoken too

I can pull some stats up if you like , like how we accumulated the most points in our history in one season under Mowbray , scored the most league goals in a season for many many years , conceded the least amount of goals in a Season for many many years .

Keep going though you clearly know best.

There are more reasons to why we fell away than simply saying Mowbray lost the plot

It is an extremely difficult job being the manager of CCFC

Last edited:

Grendel

It doesn't matter when he left , I'm telling you what happened from the horses mouth , asked for money to strengthen and push on in January , was told no .

So he asked in October for funds and then left on what November 2nd? Anderson joined a few days later. Are you seriously saying Anderson just appeared from thin air and waggott departure wasn't pre planned?

Waggott screwed the budget up didn't he?

Evo1883

And yes I mistakenly put in January , when I meant for January , how awful of me

Evo1883

So he asked in October for funds and then left on what November 2nd? Anderson joined a few days later. Are you seriously saying Anderson just appeared from thin air and waggott departure wasn't pre planned?

Waggott screwed the budget up didn't he?

I'm telling you he believed that Mowbray would take us up , he tried to secure extra funds for the January transfer market and was told no.. He wanted to secure the funds early and give TM time to pinpoint certain players he wanted to bolster the squad for promotion .. his words to a good friend .

Btw this exact friend told me about SORDELL leaving , about beavon joining , about the loan Derby players , about pretty much everything .
A couple of fans on here know who I'm talking about , he is a genuinely good source of information
He runs a business that the players , their agents and coaching staff all use, but of course it is entirely up to you wether you believe me or not.
I'm guessing you won't .

Anyway Mowbray was a good manager for this club , it's extremely difficult for any manager to operate well under the circumstances

clint van damme

I'm telling you he believed that Mowbray would take us up , he tried to secure extra funds for the January transfer market and was told no.. He wanted to secure the funds early and give TM time to pinpoint certain players he wanted to bolster the squad for promotion .. his words to a good friend .

Btw this exact friend told me about SORDELL leaving , about beavon joining , about the loan Derby players , about pretty much everything .
A couple of fans on here know who I'm talking about , he is a genuinely good source of information
He runs a business that the players , their agents and coaching staff all use, but of course it is entirely up to you wether you believe me or not.
I'm guessing you won't .

Anyway Mowbray was a good manager for this club , it's extremely difficult for any manager to operate well under the circumstances

Has he told you anything about a takeover?!

Grendel

It doesn't matter when he left , I'm telling you what happened from the horses mouth , asked for money to strengthen and push on in January as he believed Mowbray would take us up , was told no .

If you are going to try and correct me , then at least understand who I've actually spoken too

I can pull some stats up if you like , like how we accumulated the most points in our history in one season under Mowbray , scored the most league goals in a season for many many years , conceded the least amount of goals in a Season for many many years .

Keep going though you clearly know best.

There are more reasons to why we fell away than simply saying Mowbray lost the plot

It is an extremely difficult job being the manager of CCFC

I had a cursory look at one of your stats - most goals scored for many years - are you sure about that?

Calista

Thanks for the statistic G - I couldn't be bothered to work it out myself, but it's even worse than I thought. It's staggeringly bad when you consider the level we're playing at.

It seems to me that regardless of which manager or players we have, the "leadership" from the top of the club guarantees a negative mindset and failure. And Fisher is threatening that if we don't start supporting the team better there's a danger of a downward spiral! The man with the midas touch.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

O'brien - Maddison - Lameiras
Armstrong

That was the most effective front four if you accumulate all the games. When all those played together we barely played badly. I don't know why, I guess they all worked hard and had the intelligence to feed Armstrong.

I don't really care what anyone says about Kent and Murphy, when they played well they were out of this world, but ultimately they were luxury players that didn't produce often enough. There was no consistency. It was ok if one of them was on the pitch and the rest of the team was playing well, but when they weren't we were effectively down to 10 men more often than not.

Player selection and man management cost us post Christmas.

dongonzalos

Slade has looked at this and decided the only way out is to play dirty ugly football.
Kick hassle harass then good it once you have it.
If he thinks that's the only way to avoid relegation then back him.
However he can't do that with this current team.
Do if the owners don't want relegation then they also have to back him.
They should do their sums work out what relegation will cost them give him half if that to get he big no miners CF and and dirty hard man in midfield.

Grendel

Slade has looked at this and decided the only way out is to play dirty ugly football.
Kick hassle harass then good it once you have it.
If he thinks that's the only way to avoid relegation then back him.
However he can't do that with this current team.
Do if the owners don't want relegation then they also have to back him.
They should do their sums work out what relegation will cost them give him half if that to get he big no miners CF and and dirty hard man in midfield.

You do understand that's how teams get promoted out of this division - Burton being a prime example.

Trying to play passing football with inferior footballers is never going to work - as the stats prove.

devonrich

You do understand that's how teams get promoted out of this division - Burton being a prime example.

Trying to play passing football with inferior footballers is never going to work - as the stats prove.
Hmmmmmmm This prat is suggesting that we should purposely play boring football to be successful. Have you been to games this season. Not sure hoof ball is making us successful but we have boredom down to a fine art.

Grendel

Hmmmmmmm This prat is suggesting that we should purposely play boring football to be successful. Have you been to games this season. Not sure hoof ball is making us successful but we have boredom down to a fine art.

How many games have you been to this season?

Grendel

All that have been in a 30 mile radius of Exeter, zzzzzzzzzz

You are the moron who kept hoping we'd lose a game the other week aren't you? Then started saying nopm a lot.

So you ask how many games I've been to and you've been to none

Oh dear.

dongonzalos

Burton were solid defensively and didn't score a lot but they didn't just aimlessly hoof it.
It might just get us out of relegation if we have two big signings still to come.
However If we play it for all of next season. We will have our usual collapse after Xmas once we are worked out

devonrich

You are the moron who kept hoping we'd lose a game the other week aren't you? Then started saying nopm a lot.

So you ask how many games I've been to and you've been to none

Oh dear.
Ha ha. Least you made me smile this weekend. Do you work at GCHQ?

Users who are viewing this thread