Robins Pre Match Conference - Chesterfield (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
INTERVIEW: Mark Robins on the Sky Blues' League Two fixture against Chesterfield

The Sky Blues head to the Proact Stadium to face Chesterfield in SkyBet League Two as both sides look to turn around their recent league form...

Coventry City wrapped up a busy transfer window on deadline day with the completion of their thirteenth signing of the summer when they announced the arrival of defender Tom Davies from Portsmouth.

The 25-year-old joined City on a two-year deal and is reunited with Michael Doyle and Liam O'Brien with whom he achieved promotion from SkyBet League Two last campaign.

"The recruitment department has been in overdrive for the last three months and we needed some reinforcements at the back after losing Rod McDonald and Davies does that. He fills that position.

"He is different from the other centre halves that we have got and will add competition for places in that area.

"It is important that we are as strong as we can possibly be and on the back of two defeats you have to get the balance for the squad right.

"It has been a very busy window and we are pleased with the business that we have done, but we will continue to look at players and targets for the future.

"It is about trying to get the squad gelled as quickly as we can do. There have been good signs. We started brightly enough and we have lost two games where we felt we deserved something from them.

"Games come quick and fast and we have the opportunity to do that tomorrow against Chesterfield."

The Sky Blues were heavily linked on deadline day with former player Carl Baker after having his contract at Portsmouth terminated by mutual consent but

"There is no link with Carl Baker. I speak with Carl regularly and we spoke not so long ago and we spoke about one or two things that might be happening for him.

"I have a lot of time for Carl and what he did for me last time but I think there is something else on the horizon for Carl this time.

"Our paths may cross in the future but right now that is something that is not going to happen."

Tomorrow's oppponents sit bottom of SkyBet League Two and have just three points on the board after defeats to Notts County and Grimsby Town.

Former Sky Blues defender Gary Caldwell will be in the dugout for the home side but Robins warns that their low points tally is not a fair representation of their threat.

"Chesterfield have not started this season well in terms of points, but they are a good team with some great players.

"They play a really good brand of football and they pass the ball. They have a nice mixture of players and they signed some yesterday that will add to the squad. They can be dangerous.

He added: "This is a league that is up and down and there are different results thrown up every week that you do not see coming. We just have to settle into a rhythm and keep the belief."

fernandopartridge

Interesting comments about Baker. More fuel to the fire, the story will go that Baker has offered to play for free and Robins still turned him down.

FWIW, I think Baker will sign for a L1 club nearish to the Midlands. Oxford probably.

oucho

Interesting comments about Baker. More fuel to the fire, the story will go that Baker has offered to play for free and Robins still turned him down..

There's nothing at all in MR's comments to suggest that. I read it as meaning that nothing was lined up and nothing will happen barring something unexpected happening.

Users who are viewing this thread