Robins was not a mesiah (1 Viewer)

grego_gee

The revival we enjoyed over the period of his tenure was as much due to the goals of mac golden!
But that in turn was due to the team as a whole.
Mac isn't setting the world alight at Ipswich (1 goal in 6 apps) and I doubt Robins will magic huddersfield into Milan!
Jumping ship to huddesfield on the crest of a wave was the only radical decision he made in his 5 months.
All hail Carso!
:pimp:

Last edited:

SkyBlueScottie

Nobody claimed he was a messiah, however he got a previously underperforming bunch of players playing for each other, playing with a set clear plan in their minds, and most of all taking a bit of responsibility when on the ball or making decisions. If Carsley can carry that on brilliant.

However yesterday we were always likely to get a decent result in my mind. Very much like the Brum game after Thorn went.

rupert_bear

He wasn't a messiah and to be honest i'm not that bothered he has slung his hook. He seemed to be the best we have had here for years but he was always going to be linked with big northern jobs and still will be, the Leeds job will be a tester. But with him constantly linked to other vacancies would be distabilising for all, he's gone so be it, replacing him properly is the important thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4439

I mean, what did Robins ever do for us?...

Ok, he added 44 points to our tally, rescued us from certain relegation, packed out the Rioch for the second time in it's history, and doubled the size of the away support. But, apart from that, what did he ever do for us?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr pot

Most managers would have been able to change the mentality of the team after thorn. Who ever does come in needs to bring dome good back room staff. The fitness coach seemed to have brought more to the team than most

Grendel

Without Robins tenure we would have been in serious trouble. The team was dispirited, has a losing mentality, was lacking quality in key areas and had serious fitness and tactical issues. It was impossible really for Shaw to do well with the mess he inherited. Robins has put building blocks in place. Carseley can manage in the short term as a lot of work has already been done.

If we had remained with Thorn or a manager with a similar inadequate persona and skill set we would be relegated.

skybluegaz

Ok, he added 44 points to our tally, rescued us from certain relegation, packed out the Rioch for the second time in it's history, and doubled the size of the away support. But, apart from that, what did he ever do for us?

Shut up big nose!

rupert_bear

Agree with that, well Grendel that is. Now i'm not saying Lee Carsley should become manager but he certainly has a better platform to perform than Richard Shaw had, not certain what role Carsley had under Shaw was he his assistant or a coach ? if i thought a totally new manager would make a massive difference i would say get one in but with just a dozen or so games to play a new guy could be unsettling with players fearing for their futures etc.

SBS

Nobody claimed he was a messiah, however he got a previously underperforming bunch of players playing for each other, playing with a set clear plan in their minds, and most of all taking a bit of responsibility when on the ball or making decisions. If Carsley can carry that on brilliant.

However yesterday we were always likely to get a decent result in my mind. Very much like the Brum game after Thorn went.

People did claim he was the messiah though. Comments like "the next Jimmy Hill" were thrown around by some people on here and on the phone in. I thought at the time that these comments were embarrassing, but it just shows how starved of success we've been. If you're a professional manager, it shouldn't be the hardest job to have us challenging for the play offs. Hopefully Robins has shown we're not the managerial graveyard we were before.

skybluegaz

For a club which has more false dawns a season than I have hot dinners, I feel this could be the biggest of them all. Get a new manager who works well with the players and even if we don't quite make the play-offs you think there should still be cause for optimism next season.
If however the mood at the club slips down again and the squad gets less investment next season then we could continue our downward slump into oblivion.
For me, top 6 has to still be the aim. It's alluded us for over 40 years. Break that duck and perhaps we'll push onwards and upwards.

skybluegaz

The stupid thing from Robins POV is that if he'd stayed until the summer and had a really good pop at getting us promoted then even if he'd then decided to move on he would probably have been much more of a messiah to us. All that goodwill is now gone and we and he will never know what might have been.

Sky Blue Jay

What else did you expect him to do?

grego_gee

Hahaha, how many goals did he score?
Now if Carso gets us promoted, he will be a Mesiah!

:pimp:
All hail Carso!

covhead1

MR was the best manager we've had for a long time!

But that really isn't saying much is it?

Any average manager would look pretty good against the plonkers we've had to put up with for last ten years, Except Black (who MAY have turned out good)

Users who are viewing this thread