Roger Moore (1 Viewer)

oucho

Gutted - a real legend. My favourite actor. Got several of his books and movies. Saw him once "in conversation with" at Wimbledon Theatre.

If it wasn't for the Manchester attack fallout you would see a lot more hand-wringing for Roger. But to be fair at 89 it's not a great surprise. He was a national treasure but even his family would understand today if the tributes are a bit more muted than they otherwise would be - sad to lose a legend like him, but in the context of Manchester is totally insignificant and I suspect this'll be reflected in the reaction to his death.

ajsccfc

ITV only just started showing his Bond films again at the weekend so I guess this was on the cards any time now.

Paxman II

Arrh sad. had a great life though and we can't all live forever can we? RIP Roger you were a legend in your own life time.

Johnnythespider

I just raised an eyebrow reading this, RIP.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Captain Dart

Gazolba

He was great in The Saint.
I never liked his James Bond. But that was more due to the writing and directing than his acting capabilities.
A shame he died on a hot news day as it won't get the attention it deserves.

Last edited:

RegTheDonk

Gutted - a real legend. My favourite actor. Got several of his books and movies. Saw him once "in conversation with" at Wimbledon Theatre.

If it wasn't for the Manchester attack fallout you would see a lot more hand-wringing for Roger. But to be fair at 89 it's not a great surprise. He was a national treasure but even his family would understand today if the tributes are a bit more muted than they otherwise would be - sad to lose a legend like him, but in the context of Manchester is totally insignificant and I suspect this'll be reflected in the reaction to his death.
Heard about this today and immediately thought of you oucho 'cause of your avatar. I thought his version of bond was great, brought a lot of humour to the role. But my first and best recollections of him as a kid was with Curtis in the Persuaders. Loved that show and have watched a few recently late night on True Entertainment. Dated, camp, but great fun. RIP Lord Sinclair.

oucho

Heard about this today and immediately thought of you oucho 'cause of your avatar. I thought his version of bond was great, brought a lot of humour to the role. But my first and best recollections of him as a kid was with Curtis in the Persuaders. Loved that show and have watched a few recently late night on True Entertainment. Dated, camp, but great fun. RIP Lord Sinclair.

The Persuaders was fantastic and isn't nearly enough well known for how good it was! Shame it only got 20 episodes or so - apparently it didn't fly in the US which was the main market they were banking on. Without that, such a big budget show couldn't continue.

Ranjit Bhurpa

I get the impression he never took himself seriously, made the most of what he had and thoroughly enjoyed doing what he did. All very watchable, family entertainment especially The Saint and The Persuaders.
PS. And a patron of The Greyhound up by the canal as well.

oucho

What's not as well known about him is that his knighthood wasn't granted to much for services to acting/film, but for his great work for UNIFEC. After his last Bond film in 85 he basically retired from acting and later spent 20 years drumming up funding for UNICEF's work.

We know him predominantly for his sauve / debonair persona and indeed he is a British icon, biggest actor in this country for a decade or more in the 70s, and something of a national treasure, but his UNICEF work will be his last legacy IMO.

Johnnythespider

The Persuaders was fantastic and isn't nearly enough well known for how good it was! Shame it only got 20 episodes or so - apparently it didn't fly in the US which was the main market they were banking on. Without that, such a big budget show couldn't continue.
Yeah I loved the persuaders, it had a great theme tune which I remember the Specials coming on stage to in 2013. He was also in a film I remember where he had a double, but I'm struggling to remember the title. I've got "Doppelganger" in my head but I'm not sure.

oucho

Yeah I loved the persuaders, it had a great theme tune which I remember the Specials coming on stage to in 2013. He was also in a film I remember where he had a double, but I'm struggling to remember the title. I've got "Doppelganger" in my head but I'm not sure.

The Man Who Haunted Himself.

He described it as the only bit of proper acting he ever did. The rest of his roles were essentially him being affable and not bumping into the furniture whilst reading out the dialogue.

Johnnythespider

The Man Who Haunted Himself.

He described it as the only bit of proper acting he ever did. The rest of his roles were essentially him being affable and not bumping into the furniture whilst reading out the dialogue.
That's the one, it put the bejeepers up me when I watched it as a kid.

Captain Dart

This story quite heart warming & funny.

SkyblueBazza

Not really.

See how he sends himself up in the Cannonball Run for proof.
Errr...he was acting!?? Lol

BUT when I first moved down to where I now live - there is like a kind of Celebrity Strip on the coast (Alan Ball & Gordon Strachan lives(/d) there...as do one or two only slightly past it celebs apparently. Word had it at the time that although he sounded posh he was a really nice down to earth guy.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
My missus couldn't stand Roger Moore. I don't know why. Maybe he was too "suave", "posh", "upper-class". Seeing as she's a 67 year old Polish / Lithuanian, I don't bother getting into discussions too much. (Have you ever tried to discuss anything with a Polish / Lithuanian person??) :emoji_sweat:
Anyway, I liked him and am sorry to see his passing, but I got to thinking....... just who is left from those "superstar" days of cinema? And who replaces them? I'd go along with Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Russell Crowe, Michael Caine, etc. and just as these replaced such greats as John Wayne, James Stewart, Humphrey Bogart et al, what modern day star would now replace these? I'd say Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio (a personal favourite), Johnny Depp, George Clooney, Will Smith, Bradley Cooper........... Feel free to add yours.

Grendel

Grendel

Fuck off you dickhead. I'm obviously mistaking him for someone else.

So in your moderator capacity you accuse me of inappropriate language then insult someone the minute they died and then tell someone to F off - priceless.

Rich

So in your moderator capacity you accuse me of inappropriate language then insult someone the minute they died and then tell someone to F off - priceless.
I didn't insult anyone until you piped up. I was mistaken and thought he was a twat. Obviously thinking of someone else. You're the clown that came along with personal insults, not just to me but then went off and did it to someone else on another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread