Rooney Retires from International Football (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
giphy.gif

Just wanted to get in on the hysteria.

Gazolba

Did he retire from international football or did international football retire from him?

Covstu

Best player in a generation by a country mile.
One of the best players I would say. Total legend of the game but right decision in my opinion, he should have done it after the Euro failure but I guess pride got in the way.

Terry Gibson's perm

Well done to him got left out by the idiot manager but didn't retire and then plays well gets called back up and he then retires a real kick in the face for Southgate.

CJ_covblaze

Always gave 100%. Our record goal scorer. 20 assists, 53 goals and 119 caps. More than Greaves, Owen, Shearer, Lineker and Charlton but still gets pelters. Will struggle to find anyone that will has shown the level of commitment, passion and pride that he has.

CJ_covblaze

CJ_covblaze

Not the same as he didn't play for a major international nation. The simple fact is that he never turned up on the biggest stage when it mattered.

Not his fault and not Rooney's either. How many major tournaments has the world's current best 2 players turned up to and ripped apart?

skybluetony176

Don't get ALL the fuss about him personally. Not saying he's shit or anything like that, just not as good as he's hyped up to be. No where near as good as Jimmy Greaves for instance . If Greaves had have had as many England games as Rooney based on averages he'd have been in almost double figures. Still has the England record for hat tricks as well.

Rooney was the best man for the job for the majority of his England career but for me he overstayed his welcome and the national obsession with him kept in the team and we perhaps didn't field our strongest team or play our best football to accommodate him.

covmark

Don't get ALL the fuss about him personally. Not saying he's shit or anything like that, just not as good as he's hyped up to be. No where near as good as Jimmy Greaves for instance . If Greaves had have had as many England games as Rooney based on averages he'd have been in almost double figures. Still has the England record for hat tricks as well.

Rooney was the best man for the job for the majority of his England career but for me he overstayed his welcome and the national obsession with him kept in the team and we perhaps didn't field our strongest team or play our best football to accommodate him.
As usual absolute drivel.
The lad has carried a poor crop of England players for years.
Ended up record scorer and only 6 shy of record apps behind a 40 odd year old goalkeeper.
If he hadn't got injured in 04 I think he'd have won us the tournament.
The majority of other tournaments he was either injured or had the media and the public on his back for being our only hope of doing well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

chiefdave

Did he retire from international football or did international football retire from him?
Was listening on 5 Live earlier and they were reporting that Southgate sounded him out about a recall and that was what prompted him to make a decision one way or the other.

chiefdave

Don't get ALL the fuss about him personally. Not saying he's shit or anything like that, just not as good as he's hyped up to be.
This is such an English attitude. Anyone decent and we rip in to them. Remember a number of top forgiven players speaking in disbelief about the treatment Beckham got and how poorly regarded he was compared to what it would be like if he was from another country.

CJ_covblaze

With all due respect to Greaves and I don't wish to diminish his achievements but he scored 1 goal in major tournaments and the rest were mostly against very poor opposition. Not saying Greaves was poor but how is that any better than Rooney's goals record? His hatricks were against Northern Ireland, Peru, Scotland, Norway and Luxembourg. Those sides (excluding Luxembourg) were a great deal poorer then than they are now.

Rooney - scored in 38 games
Macedonia 1
Liechtenstein 1
Denmark 2
Iceland 3
Switzerland 4
Croatia 4
Argentina 1
Netherlands 1
Estonia 2
Russia 1
Kazakhstan 3
Andorra 2
Bulgaria 2
Belarus 2
Slovakia 2
Ukraine 1
San Marino 5
Poland 2
Brazil 2
Montenegro 2
Equador 1
Uruguay 1
Norway 1
Lithuania 1
Slovenia 2
Scotland 2
France 1
Australia 1

Greaves - scored in 27 games
Peru 4
Wales 5
Yugoslavia 2
Northern Ireland 10
Luxembourg 3
Spain 2
Scotland 4
Italy 1
Austria 1
Argentina 1
Czechoslovakia 2
Rest of the World 1
Republic of Ireland 1
Brazil 1
Netherlands 1
Hungary 1
Norway 4

Last edited:

skybluesam66

Rooney never fulfilled his potential
he was not an athlete - but somebody who liked to play football
cj - sorry no comparison to best/ ronaldo/greaves/messi etc

he was a top player but not at their level
and yes post 04, not only did he not dominate tournaments, he was in fact shocking

skybluetony176

This is such an English attitude. Anyone decent and we rip in to them. Remember a number of top forgiven players speaking in disbelief about the treatment Beckham got and how poorly regarded he was compared to what it would be like if he was from another country.

Always rated Beckham. Couldn't believe it when he was left on the bench so sick note could play.

It's not an English attitude at all. I don't share this opinion with anyone else who's been in the team during this time, it's my opinion of one player. That's all.

Like I said. I don't think he's shit, just not as good as people make him out to be. He's been lucky that there wasn't real competition for his place and he's been gifted every set piece and penalty which has inflated his goal tally and reputation.

skybluetony176

As usual absolute drivel.
The lad has carried a poor crop of England players for years.
Ended up record scorer and only 6 shy of record apps behind a 40 odd year old goalkeeper.
If he hadn't got injured in 04 I think he'd have won us the tournament.
The majority of other tournaments he was either injured or had the media and the public on his back for being our only hope of doing well.

Poor crop of players?

Lampard
Cole
Beckham
Neville
Terry
Gerard

Just to name a few of the top of my head. Some of the best players to pull on an England shirt in my lifetime. Hardly poor.

skybluetony176

With all due respect to Greaves and I don't wish to diminish his achievements but he scored 1 goal in major tournaments and the rest were mostly against very poor opposition. Not saying Greaves was poor but how is that any better than Rooney's goals record? His hatricks were against Northern Ireland, Peru, Scotland, Norway and Luxembourg. Those sides (excluding Luxembourg) were a great deal poorer then than they are now.

Macedonia 1
Liechtenstein 1
Denmark 2
Iceland 3
Switzerland 4
Croatia 4
Argentina 1
Netherlands 1
Estonia 2
Russia 1
Kazakhstan 3
Andorra 2
Bulgaria 2
Belarus 2
Slovakia 2
Ukraine 1
San Marino 5
Poland 2
Brazil 2
Montenegro 2
Equador 1
Uruguay 1
Norway 1
Lithuania 1
Slovenia 2
Scotland 2
France 1
Australia 1

Peru 4
Wales 5
Yugoslavia 2
Northern Ireland 10
Luxembourg 3
Spain 2
Scotland 4
Italy 1
Austria 1
Argentina 1
Czechoslovakia 2
Rest of the World 1
Republic of Ireland 1
Brazil 1
Netherlands 1
Hungary 1
Norway 4

Macedonia
Liechtenstein
Estonia
San Marino
Andorra

There's five teams I'd think Greaves would have scored hat tricks for fun against, yet Rooney didn't. Sort of proves my point really.

stupot07

Rooney was a very good player but for England I always thought he was a bit of a flat track bully.

Otis

Macedonia 1
Liechtenstein 1
Denmark 2
Iceland 3
Switzerland 4
Croatia 4
Argentina 1
Netherlands 1
Estonia 2
Russia 1
Kazakhstan 3
Andorra 2
Bulgaria 2
Belarus 2
Slovakia 2
Ukraine 1
San Marino 5
Poland 2
Brazil 2
Montenegro 2
Equador 1
Uruguay 1
Norway 1
Lithuania 1
Slovenia 2
Scotland 2
France 1
Australia 1

Peru 4
Wales 5
Yugoslavia 2
Northern Ireland 10
Luxembourg 3
Spain 2
Scotland 4
Italy 1
Austria 1
Argentina 1
Czechoslovakia 2
Rest of the World 1
Republic of Ireland 1
Brazil 1
Netherlands 1
Hungary 1
Norway 4
You can't compare the likes of Greaves with Rooney. It was different back then and so many of the smaller teams were just cannon fodder. It's a lot more equal footing these days.

Back then we were often scoring 4 goals against the minnows. The minnows have very much upped their game since the olden days though.

ccfctommy

An outrage.
IMO Players should always be available for their country or be deregistered by FIFA.

With respect, thats rubbish.

Everton pay him. Maybe he wants to spend more time with his children or just wants to concentrate on his club career as he is getting older.

wingy

The perception is that he could have been even MORE.
The dedication to fitness and lifestyle in question, I don't know the stats when compared to say Henry.

Reactions: vow

Covstu

I think the lad was damned if he did, damned if he didn't.
1) After the euros - he was deemed past it and should retire
2) He is now playing well and everyone wants him back in the squad inc the manager
3) IF he did and didn't score a hatful of goals, public opinion would have swung back to point 1

For me he has made the right choice and to be fair has made life easier for Southgate as there isn't that conundrum of picking him anymore. He seems to be enjoying his football again and at his boyhood club so good luck to him.

I also don't understand the fascination of comparing a top class servant to 'the best' in the country. He may not be a Greaves, Shearer or Lineker but it still doesn't mean he isn't a legend. He broke records, that cannot be denied.

Joy Division

I always liked Rooney as a player, an over-rated player does not become England's all time top goalscorer. He definitely had quality and that hunger and desire to win that all top class players possess, I liked that but his lack of quality at the major tournaments was a concern. Though I think that is a wider problem with the England national team culture and set up rather than an individual thing.

SkyblueBazza

Well done to him got left out by the idiot manager but didn't retire and then plays well gets called back up and he then retires a real kick in the face for Southgate.
So are you suggesting petulance got the better of him & vindictive revenge won over the love to pull on his shirt for his counrty?

I can't honestly believe that.

More likely he recognises that just like at Man Utd - his opportunities to play regularly, & as captain of the national side were going to be ever decreasing

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

Best player in a generation by a country mile.
Yes...one of if not the best English player of a generation - but this 'world-class' tag has been wrongly applied to him imo. He was just never quite there. Even on the Champion's League stage he didn't stand out for me.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread