Rubbish Coventry City managers..... (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

...go on then....

CJ_covblaze

This'll be longer than the Pompey thread. Does Nick have enough space for this sort of thing?

fatso

Gordon Milne, Bobby Gould, and George and John were top managers,
As for the rest .......

fatso

You've got to be joking, Gould kept the club in the top flight when all had deserted a sinking ship, and he did it on a shoe string.
Milne had fuck all money to spend, and yet still kept us up, year after year.

And as for Sillet ..... yeh what did he achieve ??? Only the best day in the clubs history!!!

JimmyHillsbeard

You've got to be joking, Gould kept the club in the top flight when all had deserted a sinking ship, and he did it on a shoe string.

And as for Sillet ..... yeh what did he achieve ??? Only the best day in the clubs history!!!

Booby G was I'm afraid a terrible manager. He signed some decent players and many many terrible ones. His first spell resulted in the sack and we avoided relegation only due to an abnormally good start to the season followed by our usual three month slump.

His second spell revealed him to be completely mad. I liked the bloke because I thought he had a passion for our club but he simply wasn't up to it as a top flight manager.

"Milne out" was the manager that I grew up with - although I first saw City under Cantwell. His record was decent but not spectacular.

Dave Sexton I would argue had a much better record of nurturing young players and improving experienced ones.

Sillett (and Curtis) did indeed provide us with our best ever day. He also saw us humiliated at Sutton and Northampton.

NortonSkyBlue

Booby G was I'm afraid a terrible manager. He signed some decent players and many many terrible ones. His first spell resulted in the sack and we avoided relegation only due to an abnormally good start to the season followed by our usual three month slump.

His second spell revealed him to be completely mad. I liked the bloke because I thought he had a passion for our club but he simply wasn't up to it as a top flight manager.

"Milne out" was the manager that I grew up with - although I first saw City under Cantwell. His record was decent but not spectacular.

Dave Sexton I would argue had a much better record of nurturing young players and improving experienced ones.

Sillett (and Curtis) did indeed provide us with our best ever day. He also saw us humiliated at Sutton and Northampton.
Jimmy Hill was a master, you could say he got out at the right time. Cantwell got us to Europe even if I still sing his song every Christmas-"Noel, Noel, that is the name of that bastard Cantwell".
Mercer and Milne, good, Milne very good, Sexton good but shocking board, Gould ok with a poor team, Mackay useless (but who can forget 85 and keeping us up), Curtis and Sillet just marvelous, Sillet, good but as mentioned the humiliations, not mentioned March 89 top of the table, yes March, Butcher poor, Howe poor, Gould poor, Neal decent, Atkinson so so, Strachan good years, bad year, the rest well enough said.
The manager( hopefully this one) who turns the ship around will be feted forever or at least until a 0-0 draw at Chesterfield.

Grendel

Gould spent a quarter of a million (a lot then) on Ashley Grimes. He also invested in the wizard of the drivel Peter Barnes.

Milne at one point broke the UK transfer record for a defender when signing Larry Lloyd.

ovduk78

He also bought Tommy Hutchison,Terry Yorath, Ian Wallace, Barry Powell, Steve Hunt, Colin Stein, Ray Graydon-what is your point? Class man and class manager
I'm not having a dig at him, we played some great football under Milne, I was just pointing out that he spent big money on 2 players we managed to get about a dozen appearances out of in total. He used to piss off a Leicester supporting friend because I am sure he swapped Tommy English for Jim Melrose, that's good enough for me

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

The 'top' five shit managers in place during my lifetime, in order of wankness:

Russel Slade
Peter Reid
Chris Coleman (Given a higher place based on the money he had to spend)
Andy Thorn
Aidy Boothroyd

Grendel

The 'top' five shit managers in place during my lifetime, in order of wankness:

Russel Slade
Peter Reid
Chris Coleman (Given a higher place based on the money he had to spend)
Andy Thorn
Aidy Boothroyd

Reids record was never that bad. Mccallister and Atkinson were worse.

NortonSkyBlue

Harry Warren has got to be on the list
You got me looking at his stats, not terrible 17 wins and 20 defeats. Why was he so bad? Decent home record bad away results( sounds like 1999-2000 under Strachan)
I was surprised how badly Atkinson's were and why the hell did we get rid of Roland? Thorn and Slade-enough said!

CJ_covblaze

You got me looking at his stats, not terrible 17 wins and 20 defeats. Why was he so bad? Decent home record bad away results( sounds like 1999-2000 under Strachan)
I was surprised how badly Atkinson's were and why the hell did we get rid of Roland? Thorn and Slade-enough said!

Imo Nilsson is the best manager we've had since relegation and maybe in my 25 years as a fan.

Captain Dart

All of them except for Snoz and JH.

I still respect Cantwell & Milne. Cantwell had a hard job to stay up and got it done, Milne got us into Europe on a shoestring budget.

Grendel

I still respect Cantwell & Milne. Cantwell had a hard job to stay up and got it done, Milne got us into Europe on a shoestring budget.

Into Europe?

Captain Dart

Into Europe?
OK, it was Cantwell, should have fact checked. Milne did well though didn't he, by the end of his tenure City were a fixture in the 1st Div.

NorthernWisdom

Milne got very close to getting us into Europe - if Arsenal had beaten Ipswich in the '78 FA Cup Final, we'd have been in the UEFA Cup.
As Ipswich won, they went into the Cup Winners' Cup and Arsenal took "our" place in the UEFA Cup.
Before my time, but arguably the best CCFC team to watch, too, given the way the team was set up with proper wingers and all that.

And at a time when English football was all about narrow play and kicking people up in the air.

Users who are viewing this thread