Shameless Charity Plug... (1 Viewer)

superskyblue

Nice one WM, great effort. Donated.

SBT has been a great place to be over the last few weeks with the various threads going on (non-football related).

clint van damme

Thanks Clint, greatly appreciated. I need to ensure that my little legs will get me there, let along giving someone a backy!!

As an FYI, the majority of donations so far have been you Cov supporters! I don't want you thinking that I've got no friends or family! I only posted it once on FB on Saturday night when a lot of people would've been out!

I'll get to that target! I've had a few pledge promises from family members!

Both in laws have Alzheimer's so this type of condition is something I have personal experience of. It's horrible, but then again, they all are, cancer, strokes, heart disease, the lot of them.
It's only when you see particular conditions close up that you appreciate the damage they really do.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Good effort WM....

I finally lost my old dad at the end of last year to Alzheimers......a fucking horrible disease for all concerned......

That said, they are making great strides in drug development for treatment & also into better diagnosis so all fundraising is vital....

Well done WM......I have my own arrangement with the Alzheimer Society but i've bunged a donation on mainly for the task you've set yourself.....

....thats some ride mate...good luck!

Skyblueweeman

Guys...genuinely touched by the donations. Really, really do appreciate.

It all helps with the motivation to get out and get the training done :)

olderskyblue

Guys...genuinely touched by the donations. Really, really do appreciate.

It all helps with the motivation to get out and get the training done :)

Well, if you need any more motivation wm, my neighbour did the same ride a few years ago (in 10 days). He was 50, and had had 2 hip replacements... So, it can't be that hard....can it?? :emoji_smile:

Skyblueweeman

Well, if you need any more motivation wm, my neighbour did the same ride a few years ago (in 10 days). He was 50, and had had 2 hip replacements... So, it can't be that hard....can it?? :emoji_smile:

Ha ha! I've planned ours in 9 days and think we'll be ok. For L2P I did 1,300 miles training in the 6 months leading up to it so I'm aiming for 1,700 miles training for this. Should be fine!!

Skyblueweeman

Hi all, sorry for the thread bump but I have this Chelsea FC shirt signed by this seasons likely Premier League winning squad available for silent auction. Unfortunately, I don't think a Cov one would raise much money but I'm taking bids up to midnight on the 31st March. I know none of us support Chelsea (although I suspect might if they moved to this neck of the woods... ;-)) but if you know any Chelsea supporting mates, feel free to mention this to them. If they wish to make a bid, then please send me a private message with their bid and I'll announce the winning bid on 1st April (no joke). All proceeds will be going to Dementia UK for the ride I'm doing in September and I hope over the next few months to be able to get a couple of other EPL team signed shirts which I'll post. Thanks again in advance, WM. IMG_1407.JPG

Astute

Sorry only just seen this thread. It is much harder to be the one who does a fundraising event than take the easy option of making a donation. So well done and keep it up. One of the 3 charities I support. Have made a little donation and will make another when you have completed your mammoth event

Skyblueweeman

Apologies for the bump...it's the last time I'll bump it (unless anyone is interested in seeing pics etc during the ride/hopefully complete it).

We set off down to Cornwall a week tomorrow and start the ride on Saturday 9th Sept. I've not done as much training as I'd like but am almost at 1,000 miles of training. Although I'll be doing that again in just 9 days. ***gulps***

Anyway, our route is as follows:

1 Lands End - Okehampton
2 Okehampton - Bath
3 Bath - Kidderminster
4 Kidderminster - Haydock
5 Haydock - Penrith
6 Penrith - Strathclyde
7 Strathclyde - Glen Nevis
8 Glen Nevis - Dornoch
9 Dornoch - John O'Groats

If anyone wants to nudge me further to my target for Dementia UK, the link is www.justgiving.com/fundraising/lejog4dementia
Just waiting on the folks and the wife to contribute...proper dragging it out they are.

Cheers gents/ladies,

WM

no_loyalty

Apologies for the bump...it's the last time I'll bump it (unless anyone is interested in seeing pics etc during the ride/hopefully complete it).

We set off down to Cornwall a week tomorrow and start the ride on Saturday 9th Sept. I've not done as much training as I'd like but am almost at 1,000 miles of training. Although I'll be doing that again in just 9 days. ***gulps***

1 Lands End - Okehampton
2 Okehampton - Bath
3 Bath - Kidderminster
5 Haydock - Penrith
6 Penrith - Strathclyde
8 Glen Nevis - Dornoch

If anyone wants to nudge me further to my target for Dementia UK, the link is www.justgiving.com/fundraising/lejog4dementia
Just waiting on the folks and the wife to contribute...proper dragging it out they are.

Cheers gents/ladies,

WM

A man with your capabilities should do that route in a few hours, no problem :happy:. Are you riding to Chesterfield and back on Saturday as part of the training?

Anyway good luck

Skyblueweeman

Out of interest what training did you do?

Mainly been doing 2 or 3 rides a week. In the earlier part of the year I was just doing 10mile time trials. In the past couple of months, I've been doing hill training one evening a week then a 100-150km ride at the weekend.

You thinking of doing it Stu?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Covstu

Would love too pal, just couldn't justify the time away from the kids! (And wife...). Good luck pal, I am sure you will be fine just ensure you fuel up correctly and you should smash it!

tisza

Great cause.
Just lost my father-in-law to it last month.
He used to be a top journalist and Govt economic adviser but last 6-8 months were heart-breaking. Couldn't even recognize the woman he was married to for 50 years in family photos etc.
It's a brutal disease that far too little is done about particularly as it is now recognised as the biggest killer in the UK.

Brylowes

Done Weeman "I Think" for a technophobe like myself, getting through that process
Was probably like a normal person performing surgery :)

Brylowes

1 Lands End - Okehampton
2 Okehampton - Bath
3 Bath - Kidderminster
5 Haydock - Penrith
6 Penrith - Strathclyde
8 Glen Nevis - Dornoch
WM
Are you returning via the same route ;)

Skyblueweeman

Are you returning via the same route ;)

Most definitely not! We're heading South after reaching JOG about 100 miles and having a few beers in the hotel we're staying at then driving back the next day.

I'll most likely be sleeping in the support vehicle!

133km today with 3,500 ft elevation. Feel good. Training paying dividends.

This time next week I'll hopefully have completed the first day. 110 miles with 8,000ft elevation ***gulp***

Skyblueweeman

Just to update for those who sponsored me...I've done it! The most mentally and physically challenging 9 days of my life. Thanks for all the donations, raised over £2k now for Dementia UK. About to enjoy a nice sleep before heading back South to see Mrs WM.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Just to update for those who sponsored me...I've done it! The most mentally and physically challenging 9 days of my life. Thanks for all the donations, raised over £2k now for Dementia UK. About to enjoy a nice sleep before heading back South to see Mrs WM.

Well done , have a good rest you've earned it . :happy:

clint van damme

well done mate, great effort for a great cause. Hope you've got a nice soft cushion to sit on for the next few days.

Users who are viewing this thread