sharp 8k tv (1 Viewer)

stupot07

I thought you said it was 8k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Nick

Administrator
Christ, only just got 4k! Can see the difference but there's not actually much in 4k yet

chiefdave

Waste of money I think. Even with 4K if you're sitting 3 metres away from the screen you need a 75" screen for the eye to actually see any difference in the quality of the image. How big a TV will you need to get any benefit from 8K.

Probably be mainly commercial use, maybe massive screens as billboards or something like that.

jimmyhillsfanclub

The amount of money people waste on gimmicky TV's is mad.......I often take the piss out of one of my mates who always gets sucked in by the latest technology......3D, Ultra HD etc.

I switched to the non HD channel on his latest toy last week whist we were watching MOTD....he didn't notice!

In fact.....I'd challenge anyone to spot the difference in picture quality between a bog standard 40" screen for £200 & the all singing all dancing over-priced & over-hyped mugs telly of the same size........

Just more proof that lots of people have more money (probably debt) than sense.....

Otis

The amount of money people waste on gimmicky TV's is mad.......I often take the piss out of one of my mates who always gets sucked in by the latest technology......3D, Ultra HD etc.

I switched to the non HD channel on his latest toy last week whist we were watching MOTD....he didn't notice!

In fact.....I'd challenge anyone to spot the difference in picture quality between a bog standard 40" screen for £200 & the all singing all dancing over-priced & over-hyped mugs telly of the same size........

Just more proof that lots of people have more money (probably debt) than sense.....

To be quite honest with you, I can tell a hell of a difference between HD and normal.

We don't have a top spec TV at all. A Philips 40" HD. It was about £300, but the difference between HD and normal is quite remarkable. We notice immediately if we have tuned into a normal channel rather than it's sister HD channel by mistake and sports is especially noticeable.

Maybe that's just our TV though.

Marty

I can tell a massive difference too, I have recently bought a new HD TV for the first time, and it has HD freeview built in, the difference between the HD and non HD channels isn't even close. Like Otis' mine isn't top spec either.

jimmyhillsfanclub

To be quite honest with you, I can tell a hell of a difference between HD and normal.

We don't have a top spec TV at all. A Philips 40" HD. It was about £300, but the difference between HD and normal is quite remarkable. We notice immediately if we have tuned into a normal channel rather than it's sister HD channel by mistake and sports is especially noticeable.

Maybe that's just our TV though.

Maybe me & my mates need eye tests......we are middle aged now after all.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I can tell a massive difference too, I have recently bought a new HD TV for the first time, and it has HD freeview built in, the difference between the HD and non HD channels isn't even close. Like Otis' mine isn't top spec either.

right.....deffo off to the opticians

Colin1883

Christ, only just got 4k! Can see the difference but there's not actually much in 4k yet

Waste of money I think. Even with 4K if you're sitting 3 metres away from the screen you need a 75" screen for the eye to actually see any difference in the quality of the image. How big a TV will you need to get any benefit from 8K.

Probably be mainly commercial use, maybe massive screens as billboards or something like that.

What I read it is 85 inches

Covstu

Yep you can definately see a difference in quality but not ventured to 4k yet. I dont get all of these curved screens etc though, do they make the experience better??? Its all geared to people that watch films with surround sound rather than watching corrie on a monday night..

Alkhen

I get the impression ITV delibetartly fuck up their standard def broadcasts of football, its like watching legos running around

Nick

Administrator
Yep you can definately see a difference in quality but not ventured to 4k yet. I dont get all of these curved screens etc though, do they make the experience better??? Its all geared to people that watch films with surround sound rather than watching corrie on a monday night..

Haven't got curved but you can notice the different on a 4K film with surround sound etc.

Not much normal TV puts out decent sound / picture as standard :(

Marty

Don't get curved, so much glare on the screen.

Noggin

Then it should be called 16k.

Not actually sure if you are joking this time but I'll procede as if it's a serious comment.

It has twice the vertical and twice the horizontal resolution, together that makes 4 times.

In the same way that a 2x2x2 box holds 8 times the amount of a 1x1x1 (though without the 3rd dimension) If you wanted to double the size of a box you'd just double one of the 3 dimensions.

Another example would be paper, if you want to double the size of A4, you get a piece of paper that is double on one axis but the same on another, this is A3. If you double both axis you end up with something 4 times as big which is A2.

Noggin

If you have a very large TV and sit in the optimal viewing position (which probably means being on your own, certainly no more than 2 people) then the curved screen is probably a positive, if not it's probably more of a negative (and in some viewing positions or with a window in the wrong place a significant one) otherwise though there is likely very little in it either way and the main reason for them is because they are very aesthetically pleasing and a new thing, it's mostly a marketing gimmick imo. IMAX screens are curved though so it's certainly not without merit just probably not in most living rooms.

The majority of people who really care about image quality on places like avforums are certainly in the preferring flat camp.

skybluejelly

What I don't get is when they advertise 4k TV on normal TV channels ... Just like they did when they were promoting Dvd over vhs .. How can you tell the difference if you are watching the advert on the supposedly inferior device

chiefdave

What I don't get is when they advertise 4k TV on normal TV channels ... Just like they did when they were promoting Dvd over vhs .. How can you tell the difference if you are watching the advert on the supposedly inferior device

Probably use the trick they use in show rooms and whack the brightness up.

Users who are viewing this thread