Sheff Utd Match Thread (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

I thibk today shows that the players need to take huge amount of blame too. When told to play with shackles off and just enjoy it they look like cov of November.

Mentally they must be weak and hopefukly this improves next year.

Losers can become winners after a summer. Just look at leicester

Let's stay the course

Otis

But you put it out there anyway?
No, as I said, I just wanted to ask people if they felt that changing the manager could salvage our play-off hopes.

It wasn't a thought process of mine, I was just asking what other fans thought.

I didn't want him sacked, but did feel that sacking him might be the only way we would have a chance of the play-offs. That doesn't equate to my wanting him sacked. As I said, once we were out of the top 6 I honestly didn't believe we would get back in again.

I had given up on the play-offs at that point.

Hobo

No, as I said, I just wanted to ask people if they felt that changing the manager could salvage our play-off hopes.

It wasn't a thought process of mine, I was just asking what other fans thought.

I didn't want him sacked, but did feel that sacking him might be the only way we would have a chance of the play-offs. That doesn't equate to my wanting him sacked. As I said, once we were out of the top 6 I honestly didn't believe we would get back in again.

I had given up on the play-offs at that point.

So just planting the seed rather than pulling the plug?

Or just seeking attention on a thread?

Otis

After all shit this club been through and the amount if times they dissapont us I thibk it's crazy for any fan to think it'd a 1 year job

Mowbray next year will get us closer or even promoted. I am sure
I hope so. He seems a really decent bloke and not an arsehole, so that is always a bonus. For me he talks a lot of sense in his interviews.

I also like that he wants to play football and has no qualms about throwing players forwards. Very positive in his thinking, which I also think is a bonus too.

I hope he brings success to this club.

Hobo

I thibk today shows that the players need to take huge amount of blame too. When told to play with shackles off and just enjoy it they look like cov of November.

Let's stay the course

Exactly one man doesn't get you promotion. He tried to bring players in, in January and they weren't good enough. Neither were the existing players. But who else was available? Yes Mowbray made mistakes too.

But over all he has moved us forward. Yes he still has alot to prove, but I would rather stick with the momentum rather than start swimming against the tide again.

Otis

A question you were pretty persistent about in all honesty.
If that's your opinion, fine. Not going to argue the toss about it. :)

I know in my own mind what I meant and what I intended and for my part there was no campaign or motive and I just wanted to see other people thoughts.

I thought our only chance of making the play-offs would be if we changed the manager and benefitted from new manager syndrome, but I didn't want him sacked.

As I say, I had pretty much given up on the play-offs once we dropped out.

Not worth arguing over and I obviously am not going to change your thinking.

Otis

I think it was Grendel that started the thread to sack TM
Not sure to be honest. I think he picked up on my thread.

In an ideal world for me it would been perfect if we could have put TM on gardening leave, brought in a new manager to take us back into the play-offs and then reinstated Mowbray! :)

Macca

Let's stay the course

Nail on the head. Its no good turning it on once the season is dead. The team couldnt handle the pressure of a promotion campaign and didnt turn it on when it mattered. While its always good when we win I take no heart from today.

Otis

Nail on the head. Its no good turning it on once the season is dead. The team couldnt handle the pressure of a promotion campaign and didnt turn it on when it mattered. While its always good when we win I take no heart from today.
We need players with a stronger mentality. I quite like Murphy, but you do have to question his desire and spirit at times.

Armstrong would run all day for you, as too would Vincelot and Stokes and Martin and that is the type of character we need more of.

I feel with Lameiras and Maddison and Murphy we were overloaded with lightweight match winners who could turn it on for you every 4 or 5 games or so and nothing more.

I like the look of Jones. He has the skill and ability, but also the work rate and energy, Rose is similar too.

Burton don't have great individual players, but they sure as hell have a great team and look set to confirm their promotion within the next week.

oscillatewildly

Wow! Hey Otis, that'll teach you for being correct with your mid season prediction!
Seems to me a couple of posters on here are pissing themselves with fury for almost, but not quite 'proving' you wrong. And as for offering objectionable debate regarding Mowbray's stewardship during the incredibly long, slow car crash, well words fail me.
That's the thing about long slow car crashes - there's only ever gonna be one end product with just the glimmer of hope of a partially satisfying compensation pay out.

Speedies_Chips

I thought their vocal support was poor today considering they bought a good few and it was a must win game to keep their faint hopes alive.

covcity4life

Already excited for next season, looking forward to seeing what plans Mowbray has for next season.

Me too

Rcc stokes vincelot rose lameires jones - nit a bad core to build around

Thibk Fleck might stay too and Martin.

Get a few powerful cbs in. Some genuine fullbacks and a mix of strikers from poacher to big target men and we wi have a chance

Alot of new faces but not as many as last year.

Otis

It's irrelevant
We've had this debate before haven't we and I do understand the argument to that effect (different teams, different scenarios etc) but for me I do feel it is relevant.

No use treading over old ground though. I want Mowbray to learn from this season's mistakes and put it right next time.

I feel we have had too many lightweight players in our team and that next season, although trying to continue the good footballing philosophy, we also need more bite and strength and fight about us and for once and for all we need to stop the leaky defence and silly goals we consistently let in.

We also need a better spirit about us. It's no use having players like Maddison and Murphy who won't track back and whose heads drop too quickly. You look at Leicester (and the likes of Burton for that matter) and to a man they work so hard and chase and harry everything and never give up on a seemingly lost cause. Even their flair players work their socks off.

I have been very defensive of Murphy, but I think next season we need to be looking more for the Jody Jones type player, who has skill and pace, but always runs all day for you, rather than the fade in, fade out players that are Maddison and Murphy. Lameiras has to up his game for me too. I have been very disappointed in him. Odd flashes here and there, but he just doesn't impose himself upon games enough.

I am fine if Fleck goes. He is too inconsistent for my liking. Be interesting to see what Gadzhev can bring next season. It could well change our dynamic for the better, though TM himself has admitted the bloke has been rather shocked at how much work he is expected to do.

We need players who will run all day for you, with splashes of skill and trickery. We also need better quality balls in from the flanks and fullbacks who can support the attack.

I know there's been a few people critical of Rose, but he does fit the bill in terms of the type of player who will run all day for you and get from box to box, with very high energy levels.

I accept we need to utilise the loan system, but I really think our best chance next season is in having a talented player from the academy making the step up and being a top player for us. The three front runners by all accounts are Harries, Stevenson and Thomas.

If one of those three could totally break through and be a really important player for us it will be just like a new signing. Bringing the kids through really needs to be our bread and butter. We may well have to sell them within a year or two, but as long as we can keep churning them out we can keep functioning as a club.

I am hopeful that at least one of the talented kids can make the step up next season.

Macca

Me too

Rcc stokes vincelot rose lameires jones - nit a bad core to build around

Thibk Fleck might stay too and Martin.

Get a few powerful cbs in. Some genuine fullbacks and a mix of strikers from poacher to big target men and we wi have a chance

Alot of new faces but not as many as last year.

So if we change half the team to being good we might have a chance? couldnt any club say that;-)

Covstu

I think what he is trying to say that we have decent core to start from whereas this season our loanees were our core which was never going to work long term.

I think ink we are one decent striker away from a playoff place if we have reda back fit

Macca

My point is that I have no idea until start of next season. Could be top ten, could go down. Still don't feel we have the owners for promotion

skybluetony176

If Newcastle manage to stay up does anyone think we could get Armstrong back for next season or would you prefer a new striker given Armstrongs lack of goals during the second half of the season.

watching Armstrong the last 6/7 games he certainly doesnt seem the Armstrong of old but then again neither did the team until yesterday.

personally Id have him back for another season as I think hes a class striker who I think being a kid found a full season and the pressure of being the main striker a little to much when things started to go wrong with the team

They'll be championship interest in him during the summer. There's was in January and we did well to retain his services then. Can't see it happening but I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Warwickhunt

They'll be championship interest in him during the summer. There's was in January and we did well to retain his services then. Can't see it happening but I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
Reading look like they will be letting Samuals go at the season end, be good if TM can beat Gillingham to his signature

covcity4life

Nit every team is good already though

We nearly finished top 6
We are closer and just need to continue down that road now

covey1987

Just a quick one and I am sure this has been covered off elsewhere but wtf was the penalty give for!! Watched it back on tv several times and not a clue!!!

Users who are viewing this thread