Should drugs be legalised? (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

did you watch the purge films and think we should legalise murder?

never saw it but what a ridiculous comparison.
you're comparing murdering someone with having a spliff? But well done, I think you've trumped the I like sex shall I rape someone comment from earlier on.

covcity4life

never saw it but what a ridiculous comparison.
you're comparing murdering someone with having a spliff? But well done, I think you've trumped the I like sex shall I rape someone comment from earlier on.
you miss the point(again)

you seem to think making something illegal legal will resolve problems regarding the thing that was illegal originally

in purge film lots of murder led to people getting it out of their system etc

legalising weed will make people no longer put themselves in dangerous situations and novelty will also wear off for others according to some

so a fair comparison after all

clint van damme

you miss the point(again)

you seem to think making something illegal legal will resolve problems regarding the thing that was illegal originally

in purge film lots of murder led to people getting it out of their system etc

legalising weed will make people no longer put themselves in dangerous situations and novelty will also wear off for others according to some

so a fair comparison after all

it's a ridiculous comparison and you know it is.
In spongebob plankton wants to steal the secret formula for the crabby pattie, shall we make that legal or shall we not bother discussing it because it's a film - just like The Purge, it's not real!!

covmark

it's a ridiculous comparison and you know it is.
In spongebob plankton wants to steal the secret formula for the crabby pattie, shall we make that legal or shall we not bother discussing it because it's a film - just like The Purge, it's not real!!
Genuinely made me laugh.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

covcity4life

clint are you high right now?

purge film storyline is legalising a crime that is illegal

spongebobs escapades are entertaining but i dont think that particular episode dealt with the same theme

covcity4life

It crossed my mind. Amazing stress relief.
giphy.gif

clint van damme

clint are you high right now?

purge film storyline is legalising a crime that is illegal

spongebobs escapades are entertaining but i dont think that particular episode dealt with the same theme

you are taking this purge very seriously mate, I'm starting to worry, I repeat, it's a film!!

Grendel

But what's the problem with that, if it was safe to buy, you could only buy it in a quantity that avoids overdosing and had to undergo a psychological evaluation before purchase. As has been said before many of these drugs are much safer than alcohol, something that we see as very normal. I don't see why you, as an independent intelligent adult, cannot make the choice of what to do with your own body.

What any age then? Heroin at 10? How about seat belts in cars and crash helmets? No problem for you?

mrtrench

What any age then? Heroin at 10? How about seat belts in cars and crash helmets? No problem for you?

That's a much better point. I'm going to argue that seat belts and crash helmets don't cause the criminal behaviour that drugs do. But I accept the point.

covcity4life

Er no - because that harms other people doesn't it? As does criminalising drugs of course: people caught up in drug wars.

LOL

legalising drugs wont harm other people even though we have nearly all to a man agreed more people will take weed as a result and thus more issues including health and violence.

great

Sick Boy

of course weed taking would increase if it was legal

none of my mates smoke weed,none of my uncles either

i guarantee if it was legal i can think of 3-4 straight away who would buy it regulary just to get the buzz or chill.

What has happened to the percentage of Dutch people who smok weed since it was decriminalised?

Last edited:

Macca

All day drinking hasn't been too successful either. Looks like there is an argument for the easier we make it for people to get fucked up in this country the more they will?

Sick Boy

Don't know if it's been covered but the legal high experience hasn't been a good one?

It hasn't and it caused much more dangerous synthetic drugs to emerge. As I said earlier, humans have taken mind altering substances for thousands of years and that isn't going to change.

Macca

It hasn't and it caused much more dangerous synthetic drugs to emerge. As I said earlier, humans have taken mind altering substances for thousands of years and that isn't going to change.
I just mean that making things more readily available doesn't necessary mean people will consume more moderately. And alcohol is very much included in this probably the prime example. It does untold damage and I'm not sure that tolerating other drugs to that level just for parity will be a guaranteed success

Sick Boy

I just mean that making things more readily available doesn't necessary mean people will consume more moderately. And alcohol is very much included in this probably the prime example. It does untold damage and I'm not sure that tolerating other drugs to that level just for parity will be a guaranteed success

They're not going to go away though, it's far better to remove it from the hands of criminals. It would also be safer for users and people may well feel as though they could get help when needed.

As I said, alcohol is a lot more powerful and dangerous to the user and society as a whole than some illegal drugs.

Macca

They're not going to go away though, it's far better to remove it from the hands of criminals. It would also be safer for users and people may well feel as though they could get help when needed.

As I said, alcohol is a lot more powerful and dangerous to the user and society as a whole than some illegal drugs.

Would it be free or would people have to pay for it? Because of people are paying for it then there can always be a criminal element undercutting the official channels with cheaper alternatives.

I agree totally with alcohol and my point is very much that having seen it be available at all times of the day in virtually every shop the results for long term health have been catastrophic.

I'm not sure I'm against decriminalising per see but think there are numerous issues to consider particularly in the UK

fernandopartridge

All day drinking hasn't been too successful either. Looks like there is an argument for the easier we make it for people to get fucked up in this country the more they will?

Has all day drinking led to an increase in alcoholism? I think it's actually led to the downfall of many pubs tbh.

chiefdave

Has all day drinking led to an increase in alcoholism? I think it's actually led to the downfall of many pubs tbh.
Doesn't seem to be a great deal of study in the effects of the licensing changes. Managed to find one report:
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/708e1.../Briefing_1505_Drinking_fast_and_slow_web.pdf

Some highlights:

Per capita alcohol consumption has fallen by 17 per cent since the Licensing Act was introduced.

Rates of ‘binge-drinking’ have declined amongst all age groups.

The rate of violent crime has fallen by 40 per cent, public order offences have fallen by 9 per cent, homicide has fallen by 44 per cent, domestic violence has fallen by 28 per cent and the number of incidents of criminal damage has fallen by 48 per cent.

Evidence from Accident and Emergency departments suggests that there was either no change or a slight decline in alcohol- related admissions

Alcohol- related hospital admissions have continued to rise, albeit at a slower pace than before the Act was introduced.

There has been no rise in the rate of alcohol-related mortality.

There was also a statistically significant decline in late-night traffic accidents.

Of course its virtually impossible to know for sure if any of the above is due to the change in licensing laws or due to other factors.

Captain Dart

I think a lot of the decline of pubs is down to tax and pub vs shop prices.
In 1975 a pint of bitter in the Midlands cost ~20p, inflation since then is x9.5, so if the relative price was the same now a pint would cost a shade under £2, but it costs £3 or more.
However you can buy a bottle of beer (or even cheaper lager) from the supermarket much cheaper than from the pub so many people drink at home.

So I contend the high price of drinking in a pub compared to drinking at home is what is killing pubs.

Sick Boy

It's my understanding that it is only legal in coffee shops?
It isn't legal in public streets, or clubs, and you will be jailed if you do it in public?
So you say legalised but it's to a very limited extent.
You have hinted you want it on a much wider scale than the countries you have suggested

It isn't legal in Holland. It's tolerated. People there aren't thrown in jail for smoking in the street either, a lot of the time a blind eye is turned or you would be told to put it out.

I wouldn't have coffee shops in the UK as I don't think there is the right culture here for it. People should certainly be able to purchase it legally from a dispensery and smoke it in their own homes, if they so wish.

skybluegod

In 1975 a pint of bitter in the Midlands cost ~20p, inflation since then is x9.5, so if the relative price was the same now a pint would cost a shade under £2, but it costs £3 or more.
However you can buy a bottle of beer (or even cheaper lager) from the supermarket much cheaper than from the pub so many people drink at home.

So I contend the high price of drinking in a pub compared to drinking at home is what is killing pubs.

I agree, the pub I worked at, if you want a bottle of cider it was £4.10.. you could get 3 for £5 at Tesco next door... pub prices are ridiculous, it is neigh impossible for pubs to be drinks only now, due to this.

fernandopartridge

Yes. Although I personally go pubs for the social aspect as much as the drink. Anybody who prefers sitting in drinking a slab of Carling as it's cheaper than going the pub probably ain't much company.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread