Shrewsbury Match Thread (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

Come on Fernando. 3 wins in 17?? Not good enough, surely?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
No, but can't be taken in isolation. It's a bad run but what's the answer? Change again and go through the same cycle.

6 Generations

But as I just put on another thread, we have scored just 11 goals in the last 10 matches, with 6 of those coming in one single match.

5 goals in the other 9 matches. Is that just down to the players?

You can't blame Armstrong on Saturday when he was sat in the box all by himself with no support!
No I can't blame Armstrong who was and has been isolated in recent games.
( And I can't blame him because I share a beverage with his dad during home games).

It seems that successive opponents have stifled our early swashbuckling form of pre-Christmas.

The recall of Ryan Kent, the dissenting attitude of Jim O'Brien ( who could pick a defence with a pass) and the constant attempt to accommodate Joe Cole have been contributory to our terrible form.

We all thought that automatic promotion was a real possibility due to being seduced by early brilliant form.

It is now obvious that top 6 would be an achievement.

We honestly still have a chance of that.

Mowbray says;

'How frustrating was that?' - kick in the teeth

Positive Signs there early on

Let a few know our defending wasn't up to scratch but rest functioned well

Looked a threat. Looked like we could score but didn't take opportunities

Have to defend and cannot concede simple goals from set pieces

Won't talk about individuals just defensive side weren't good enough

Looked like we could win football matches

Not about possession;

Thought we created chances, gave them something to cling on to naively

Been through spells like it before

Difficult to turn it round

They had a threat

Same at the Ricoh. Similar type of game

Know where we have to improve and get better

Signs today we looked potent and could score goals

(Radio cuts out)

I'm afraid TM must have had a memory lapse regarding the game at the Ricoh. Shrewsbury were piss poor and I remember saying that they never looked scoring in a month of sundays.

Otis

( And I can't blame him because I share a beverage with his dad during home games).

It seems that successive opponents have stifled our early swashbuckling form of pre-Christmas.

The recall of Ryan Kent, the dissenting attitude of Jim O'Brien ( who could pick a defence with a pass) and the constant attempt to accommodate Joe Cole have been contributory to our terrible form.

We all thought that automatic promotion was a real possibility due to being seduced by early brilliant form.

Exactly? Opposition teams have stifled us. Who is that down to, to do something about? The manager!

I don't want him sacked, but this a shocking run of form and this looks like it will be the third time he has blown play-off places with his teams.

rockdude101

Where does it end. Something needs to change

Yeah, results.

Too many people have got short-term blinkers on and forget how City's previous seasons have finished - 17th (Last Year), 18th, 23rd, 18th, 19th, 17th, 21st, 17th, 8th (Back in 05/06) - suddenly we get a bit of good form and results and expectations rise tenfold. So, yes, I'd take a top half finish thank you very much.

covmark

No, but can't be taken in isolation. It's a bad run but what's the answer? Change again and go through the same cycle.
Take the point, but maybe new manager bounce gets us in the playoffs. Bit of fresh thinking could do wonders.
Just seems atm the only way is down, and next season is a long way away with the majority of our squad leaving. This season is a great opportunity to have a top six finish, a bit of excitement for us long suffering fans. It seems it's out of our reach with our current form.

SlowerThanPlatt

Yeah, results.

Too many people have got short-term blinkers on and forget how City's previous seasons have finished - 17th (Last Year), 18th, 23rd, 18th, 19th, 17th, 21st, 17th, 8th (Back in 05/06) - suddenly we get a bit of good form and results and expectations rise tenfold. So, yes, I'd take a top half finish thank you very much.
You would be happy with a 12th placed finish when until 2 or 3 games ago we hadn't dropped out of the play offs?

rockdude101

You would be happy with a 12th placed finish when until 2 or 3 games ago we hadn't dropped out of the play offs?

Considering what I was fearing before the season started, yes. We are nowhere near ready for the Championship, not even close. I'll take the positives from September-December, and use January-May as examples of where to improve, purchase and train during the preseason next season.

wingy

Considering what I was fearing before the season started, yes. We are nowhere near ready for the Championship, not even close. I'll take the positives from September-December, and use January-May as examples of where to improve, purchase and train during the preseason next season.
Far too reasoned really.
I get you and almost agree.
Yet the man has made some big mistakes in the recruitment of old heads IMO and has been a bit like a kid in a sweetshop.
As a fan it's fair enough to be rabidly against the shocking tail off in form.
As an owner of a football club it will be finances that dictate whether he stays or goes. Crowds dropping off, possible overspend from the projected 11000 against paying him off and gambling on A N. Other who can drive us to Wembley and success now over 15 games,or however the PO's add to the season.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

That's your problem there in one. Mowbray has too often been seen as the messiah and what he says/does hasn't been questioned barely once until recently.

O'Brien for me didn't show any dissent for the time he was on the pitch (which is the only bit that we should care about), but Mowbray didn't like him. He stopped playing him, which was unfair, and the guy wanted to leave. It was good for Mowbray, because he didn't have to answer the fans when they criticised him for not playing him. Then came the belittling of a guy that showed the most passion, fight, and encouragement out of the squad, who was made out to be a bad influence. For me that strikes as the perfect cover up for anyone that questioned letting him get loaned out.

Ryan Kent, isn't and wasn't important in our set up at all either. He couldn't pass, couldn't shoot, and was worse at making decisions than my girlfriend. Sky Blue Sam could distract defenders, so that point is already null and void.

The fact that TM is using the latter as a scapegoat to our bad form is not only worrying, but also a load of shit.

As you quite rightly said, the playoffs are still a possibility, and I don't think the manager should be sacked, but he's got some quick learning to do. He could start by practicing defending set pieces, and sending Murphy to Butlins.

skyblue1991

We have become very predicbile. Roll out from RCC to Fleck, pass out wide, pass to Armstrong (at this point has been double marked) and lose the ball. Repeat.

OK first half we weren't bad and didn't deserve to go in 2-1 down, however if it werent for Shrews poor finishing we would've been dead and buried by the 70th min. We were poor second half.

Off to Blackpool on Sat. if we lose then I'm afraid Mowbray's time may be up.

duffer

I usually agree on most things you post duffer. I must respectfully disagree on this however.
5 points out of 30. 3 wins in 17 is truly shocking. The manager has to go I'm afraid.

We're allowed to differ mate, it's not a problem. It certainly makes a change for it to be respectful though, I hardly ever get that. :)

It is, as I said, just my opinion. I don't think dumping a manager who has lifted the club so far and so quickly because of a bad run of form makes sense. Others differ, obviously.

dongonzalos

We're allowed to differ mate, it's not a problem. It certainly makes a change for it to be respectful though, I hardly ever get that. :)

It is, as I said, just my opinion. I don't think dumping a manager who has lifted the club so far and so quickly because of a bad run of form makes sense. Others differ, obviously.

Can't agree more

phildownunder

Exactly? Opposition teams have stifled us. Who is that down to, to do something about? The manager!

I don't want him sacked, but this a shocking run of form and this looks like it will be the third time he has blown play-off places with his teams.

You Keep saying you don`t want him sacked Otis. But I must say you`re giving a pretty good impersonation of someone who does :p

shmmeee

For me you've got to look at Mowbrays record. What worries me is that he said himself when we were too that his team's fall away. We all thought it was modesty at the time but it increasingly looks like a guy that's identified his problem but has no clue how to solve it. If that's the case then Mowbrays is no better for us really than a manager who finishes anywhere from 7th to 21st. We need to go up, we need a manager who has the capability to see a season through.

I'll happily give him until the end of the season, but if we show no signs of not just halting the slide but returning to early season form I'd get rid before the next transfer window.

Gazolba

Worst form in the country over the last 10 games? Maybe only Colchester with worse

Remember when we were the only team in the four divisions with an unbeaten home record? You know back when dinosaurs walked the earth.

clint van damme

For me you've got to look at Mowbrays record. What worries me is that he said himself when we were too that his team's fall away. We all thought it was modesty at the time but it increasingly looks like a guy that's identified his problem but has no clue how to solve it. If that's the case then Mowbrays is no better for us really than a manager who finishes anywhere from 7th to 21st. We need to go up, we need a manager who has the capability to see a season through.

I'll happily give him until the end of the season, but if we show no signs of not just halting the slide but returning to early season form I'd get rid before the next transfer window.

Sure does, the worry is we could potentially start next season the same and drop away again.

Better to be shit all season!

To quote the Shawshank Redemption - its the hope that kills ya.

Otis

I also remember a couple of weeks back when someone on here said look at the difference, last season we lost 17 matches, this season we have only lost 8.

Errm.... that is now up to 11. Still 11 games to go too.

phildownunder

I don`t usually listen to match commentaries in mid week as they come on in the wee small hours hear. This time though I happened to wake at about 4 am and so I tuned in.

What I heard described was a vastly improved performance over the last few games. I`m sure City have played worse than that this season and won.

The usual failings seemed to be there, the inability to defend set pieces (almost every corner or free kick these days seems to result in a goal or near miss) and no cutting edge up front. Even so I felt a little better after this game than recent ones. I was expecting to lose anyway and at least this time we put up a bit of a fight.

I have to agree with Otis Stu et al though that we`re unlikely to make the top 6.

ClarkeZ

What I heard described was a vastly improved performance over the last few games. I`m sure City have played worse than that this season and won.

The usual failings seemed to be there, the inability to defend set pieces (almost every corner or free kick these days seems to result in a goal or near miss) and no cutting edge up front. Even so I felt a little better after this game than recent ones. I was expecting to lose anyway and at least this time we put up a bit of a fight.

I was going to write something very similar.
From the commentary it sounded like we had a lot of the game, lots of chances, many of which would have gone in on any other day. Some bad luck but overall it sounded like a good performance.

I could hear the SBA all the way through, they were rarely quiet and that says a lot about the game, they always had something to pump them up a bit and get behind the lads. From the sounds of it, more performances like that and we will be winning a few more games.

covcity4life

Burton have had a wobble, but they are still top. They have also won 3 of their last 7 games, so not the fall away people were talking of.

They are still 4 points clear of 2nd and 13 clear of 7th.

I was right. Where has their collapse gone?

thats poor otis. you know for a fact they are only in little danger because gills and walsall have fallena way same time. fact is you kept saying they only lost 3 all season etc, you did not expect their form to drop

just like you dont expect covs form to improve, lets hope your wrong again

SlowerThanPlatt

Just watched the highlights. Stokes should have done better with that chance.

Also I noticed for the Shrewsbury goals, it's all hands on heads and blaming each other. When we scored, the ginger Shrewsbury player is telling his keeper to get up and the rest of the team to get the ball back quick for the kick off.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just watched the highlights. Stokes should have done better with that chance.

Also I noticed for the Shrewsbury goals, it's all hands on heads and blaming each other. When we scored, the ginger Shrewsbury player is telling his keeper to get up and the rest of the team to get the ball back quick for the kick off.

Didn't realise how clear cut the Stokes chance was.

Also on that break in the 2nd half the guy had hold off MAF shirt really pulled him back was good defending to get away with as he would have broken through.

wingy

Didn't realise how clear cut the Stokes chance was.

Also on that break in the 2nd half the guy had hold off MAF shirt really pulled him back was good defending to get away with as he would have broken through.
Yeah Geoff mentioned that one on CWR
I'd like to see the foul count
When Mowbray got sent to the stands a while it would have been useful to send a video to the FA. FL to highlight just how poor the officiating has been and our players shouldn't be so timid.
Get at the Ref more.

Users who are viewing this thread