Sir John Sillett (1 Viewer)

Bob Latchford

At Legends day today
C86RaDUXcAAdM_g.jpg

Bob Latchford

Bob Latchford

Irish Sky Blue

Sorry forgot about Gordon, you're right good team was starting to lose his way towards the end.

No one ever mentions Noel Cantwell and I agree with them, the football wasn't great to watch. It is a shame for him as he got us through the first two years in Division 1 with great escapes, got us into Europe with our highest ever finish (last time we finished top 6) and brought in some great players, Martin, Setters, Hunt to name a few. I think he suffered because he was the manager that followed JH.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

No one ever mentions Noel Cantwell and I agree with them, the football wasn't great to watch. It is a shame for him as he got us through the first two years in Division 1 with great escapes, got us into Europe with our highest ever finish (last time we finished top 6) and brought in some great players, Martin, Setters, Hunt to name a few. I think he suffered because he was the manager that followed JH.
To be honest anyone would have suffered following JH unless they'd won the league and European Cup in consecutive seasons.

DionDublinsJockstrap

Because we've had strikers who played 120 games and didn't score at all.
Paul Culpin - played 12, scored 2. Can someone please remind me why he is a legend?
Friend of my mother is a guy called Gordon Simms who played one game for the Sky Blues in the 50s. Couldn't believe my ears when he was announced onto the pitch a few years ago. When I next met him I asked him without being rude what constituted a legend. Sorry to be the purveyor of bad news but there are two criteria. At least one first team appearance and a £50 membership fee

Irish Sky Blue

We've had some good players, some very good players and the there's Tommy

He was just fantastic! Truely worth the admission just to see him play. Always ran his socks off, a real team player and very rarely injured. Then their was Tommy with the ball. Whenever he got it there was an air of excitement, you just knew that something amazing could happen. He was capable of taking on the whole opposition, beating them all and setting up a goal or scoring himself as he did once at Arsenal. (that goal was so good it was talked about by Nick Hornby in his book Fever Pitch). If he had played for a "fashionable club" he would have been recognised as a true great of the game. Luckily for us there was no freedom of contract back then and so we kept him when I am sure the big guns of the day would have liked to have him. It is a shame in one way that TV coverage was more restricted as there is only the occasional glimpse of what Tommy could do. There is a real humdinger of a cup tie on You Tube between City and Arsenal on a bog of a Highfield Road pitch where Hutch has a few runs, one where he carries it from our half deep into theirs, keeping the ball dispite tackles and it bobbling all over the place. A great, great player, part of my young days, the like of which I don't ever expect to see again in sky blue unfortunately.

clint van damme

We didn't win anything or get into Europe ( although we went close) but that team played the best football I have ever seen. It was pure joy to come and watch them as they would launch wave after wave of attack. The football was scintillating!

I agree with that, but I also think that the 87 team could have finished higher up the league if there had been a European spot at stake.
They seemed to take their foot of the gas after the semi.

peeler

My favorite memory of Tommy Hutchinson was on the 30th October 1978.

Tottenham Hotspur v Coventry City at White Heart Lane........ I was there, anyone else on this forum? (Despite people on here thinking I'm not a proper fan)

The only player I can remember getting successfully tackled by a bog roll.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Sillett is an absolute icon, him and Jimmy Hill had both departed the club before I was even born but I hold them both head and shoulders above anyone else In Coventry City legendary status!

Love it on the rare occasions down the years when Hill & Sillett can a chance to be on the mic at games, their passion was/is something else!!

NortonSkyBlue

[IMG said:
[/IMG]My favorite memory of Tommy Hutchinson was on the 30th October 1978.

Tottenham Hotspur v Coventry City at White Heart Lane........ I was there, anyone else on this forum? (Despite people on here thinking I'm not a proper fan)

The only player I can remember getting successfully tackled by a bog roll.

I went to the night game in 77, a 3-2 win in the league cup and the league game in 78 a 1-1 draw. Both at WHL . The league cup game was interesting as they put the city fans in the main stand. Spurs were in Div2 and Hutch scored the winner.
The next season was the Ardilles Spurs side.

JimmyHillsbeard

Actually I think Strachan built our best ever team (1997-8) but he can't qualify as a great manager because
1) took us down twice {saved the first time by Middlesbro getting docked points}
2) Our best ever team and half a season unbeaten run was built on the unavailability of Gary McAllister.

Irish Sky Blue

Sadly, he was also let go too soon. He had years left in him, at least 2 or 3 at top level, and Manchester City got a gem for very little cost. That one was down to Milne, I'm afraid.
I agree that we let him go to soon. Yes it was Milne who let him go. However it was also Milne who brought him in in the first place, probably a Blackpool connection I would think.

Last edited:

bringbackrattles

The Hutch is a true legend.When he got the ball we all got excited as he always did something.For older fans for me we had Rees and Humphries both exciting wingers,who like Hutch got you on your feet.

Users who are viewing this thread