Size power pace (1 Viewer)

speedie87

forget tactics formations etc. We need bigger, stronger, quicker players for starters.

Every week the teams come out and you think we don't stand a chance against these just looking at them physicallly

ajsccfc

There was one point yesterday where I think it was Rawson all but pushed one of their players into touch, that's the kind of thing we could do with in League Two. A mix of that and Kelly-Evans snapping at everyone's heels, bit of urgency.

Nick

Administrator
forget tactics formations etc. We need bigger, stronger, quicker players for starters.

Every week the teams come out and you think we don't stand a chance against these just looking at them physicallly

Could tell as soon as I saw their centre halves last night double up on Beavon and their strikers win a header in the first second and bully.

steve82

Said this for weeks. Watch the goals in league two. Plenty from set pieces, free kicks, corners the lot. You need dominant players, keeper, central defenders, central midfielders and a strong target man. Have to build a team around this criteria, 6ft + players who are not afraid.

olderskyblue

Could tell as soon as I saw their centre halves last night double up on Beavon and their strikers win a header in the first second and bully.

Not sure what you are saying in this... but I expect it's the same as I think. The sheer size of teams like Southend mean they win most everything in the air, and are no nonsense take no prisoners players. Allied to that we have little to no physical presense of our own, means we are on the back foot from every hoofed ball forward, from us or them. It is an issue we need to resolve to make any progress next season

Nick

Administrator
League 2 top scorers

Akinde - 6 foot 2
hqdefault.jpg

John Marquis 6 foot 1

Matt Godden 6 foot 1

Omar Bogle 6 Foot 3

Danny Hylton 6 foot

Charlie Wyke (Moved to Bradford)

Nick

Administrator
You also only had to see akinfenwa making a difference, Wimbledon's 2 lumps up front, Ranger last night.

no_loyalty

A few huge strikers in the conference, might as well get a couple in

Philosorapter

when we play against teams with big players, they play to their strengths.

AFC Wimbledon was a good example. Their whole game plan was around those 2 big fellas up front.

Its just a combinative plan in front of goal using your most powerful pieces. What I mean by powerful pieces is by the attributes they bring objectively to the game, not by the size of them. The two though may have a direct correlation.

Nick

Administrator
Its just a combinative plan in front of goal using your most powerful pieces. What I mean by powerful pieces is by the attributes they bring objectively to the game, not by the size of them. The two though may have a direct correlation.

Well yes, they have big strikers so they use their size as part of the gameplan.

Common sense really.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Size, power, pace = goodbye Lamieres .

Fergusons_Beard

What about last year when we briefly top....

Really no one that big...

Up front we had tiddlers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: vow

steve82

League 2 top scorers

Akinde - 6 foot 2
hqdefault.jpg

John Marquis 6 foot 1

Matt Godden 6 foot 1

Omar Bogle 6 Foot 3

Danny Hylton 6 foot

Charlie Wyke (Moved to Bradford)

Nail on the head, we need to find some of these types.
If we line up with JJ, George Thomas, Beavon, DKE, we're done for next year.
You need to go route one 75% of the times on them pitches from November/December on.
Will be a culture shock for plenty in league two....

SlowerThanPlatt

Is L2 that much different to L1? I haven't seen a team this year where I've thought "wow, they're a bit too good for us". Fleetwood were as bad as us, Bolton scraped a draw in the last minute and Sheffield United possibly only won because of the pitch invasion.

Oxford, Bristol Rovers, Northampton and AFC Wimbledon came up last year and all four are in the top half.

Gazolba

Regardless of the physique of the players, you have to have everyone playing as a team.
We haven't had that since early last season.
Forming a team of large, tall bruisers won't guarantee us success.

Reactions: vow

rupert_bear

For some reason size, power and pace have been neglected here for years by half a dozen managers atleast just can't understand why. We are always out muscled and I believe the cause of many of these late goals we concede. As for pace Armstrong, Murphy and Kent all rookies showed us how diverstating pace can be, I remember Mifsud bursting on the scene simply due to his pace turned us into a decent team for a while until he got sussed out ability wise.

Users who are viewing this thread