Sky Atlantic (1 Viewer)

olderskyblue

Anyone else not get GOT? Or just me? :)

I loved the books, and loving the series too. I'm surprised some say they "don't get it" because I think it's such great TV, but each to their own.

Nick

Administrator
Think with GOT you need to put a couple of days aside and get into it. I tried loads of times just watching the first one or two but once I sat and watched up until about the 5th I was on it.

giphy.gif

olderskyblue

I would have thought it was perfect for people on this board.

It's got T&A, teams you can support, court cases, politics, pets, and some novel methods of transport, sw88 could do updates on the latest scores in the battles. Oh, and you could start by making a death list of the characters. :emoji_joy:

Otis

I like GOT and at times I do think it can be brilliant, but it has never completely wowed me or had me desperately waiting for the next episode the way other series have done in the past (Breaking Bad, Westworld, Lost, Fargo, would say Ozark, but it was all streamed together at the same time).

Don't quite get the complete love in for it, but it is very good for the most part. Can be hard to follow though I guess, what with all the different kingdoms and families with their claims to the throne.

robbiekeane

I like GOT and at times I do think it can be brilliant, but it has never completely wowed me or had me desperately waiting for the next episode the way other series have done in the past (Breaking Bad, Westworld, Lost, Fargo, would say Ozark, but it was all streamed together at the same time).

Don't quite get the complete love in for it, but it is very good for the most part. Can be hard to follow though I guess, what with all the different kingdoms and families with their claims to the throne.
I wonder if it's a bit of a shift in the way we are used to watching things now.

Breaking bad got me because I had a few seasons to watch to catch up so I could watch one after the other...so all of the build up really stays with you throughout the episodes. I feel like when you have a week in between watching them and then a whole year off, it loses that. Might just be me...but I prefer to have a whole season that I can plough through whenever I want

Nick

Administrator
Yeah that's the thing, when you can binge it's more intense and one after the other.

When I first watched GOT we were doing 4 or 5 some nights as we had about 4 series to get through.

olderskyblue

Agree with this. It was a big advantage having read the books as you had a much more detailed description of people, relationships between the different houses etc which helps in piecing it all together. Although, having said that, my daughter never read the books, and she is loving it, and can't wait for each episode. Her friends are the same.

Nick

Administrator
Agree with this. It was a big advantage having read the books as you had a much more detailed description of people, relationships between the different houses etc which helps in piecing it all together. Although, having said that, my daughter never read the books, and she is loving it, and can't wait for each episode. Her friends are the same.

I know somebody who sat and watched it with their 10 year old son.

giphy.gif

One of my favourite bits is the way they drop the C bomb in, even better when it's the women giving it too.

Nick

Administrator
The whole setting of GOT put me off getting into it, I tend to veer away from fantasy and sci-fi generally. Walking Dead is possibly the only thing that's miles away from realism that I tend to keep up with.

To be honest I'm the same and thought that, that's why it took a bit of getting used to.

I don't like Lord of the Rings and all of that type stuff but after a few C bombs, midgets in brothels and heads getting chopped off it grew.

olderskyblue

I know somebody who sat and watched it with their 10 year old son.

My daughter is 28 Nick... ;)

10 is far too young.

Nick

Administrator
My daughter is 28 Nick... ;)

10 is far too young.

Ha I gathered she was a bit older, it just reminded me of when they said they watched it with their kid like it was nothing. I only just let my 8 year old watch things that might contain the word "shit" and don't really like it. Never mind sitting there watching incest, c**t and every other word.

olderskyblue

The whole setting of GOT put me off getting into it, I tend to veer away from fantasy and sci-fi generally. Walking Dead is possibly the only thing that's miles away from realism that I tend to keep up with.

My daughter felt exactly the same. She has never liked the fantasy genre, but watched a couple of episodes, and dropped it. "just not her thing". Gave it another go last year, and binged the whole lot in couple of weeks or so. Now she is hooked, and can't wait for the next episode.

Nick

Administrator
My daughter felt exactly the same. She has never liked the fantasy genre, but watched a couple of episodes, and dropped it. "just not her thing". Gave it another go last year, and binged the whole lot in couple of weeks or so. Now she is hooked, and can't wait for the next episode.

Yeah you need to watch a fair few and it gets past all that.

Esoterica

I loved the first couple of series but in the middle series it seemed to tone down the debauchery and settle into a format of flitting between houses to inch along their stories in order to set up a big season finale boom and that got very predictable for me. Too many characters meant I never felt emotionally invested in individuals and feeling like I was starved of character development outside of the main 4 or 5.

Otis

To be honest I'm the same and thought that, that's why it took a bit of getting used to.

I don't like Lord of the Rings and all of that type stuff but after a few C bombs, midgets in brothels and heads getting chopped off it grew.
Yeah, to a good 6 inches by the sounds of it.

Otis

I don't like swearing or violence to be quite honest. The way I was brought up. One child was even banned from our house for simply saying the word 'sod.' I kid you not.

I will watch things on TV in spite of the violence and in spite of the swearing and not because of it.

No way I will let my daughter watch GOT or TWD. She is 13.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

I don't like swearing or violence to be quite honest. The way I was brought up. One child was even banned from our house for simply saying the word 'sod.' I kid you not.

I will watch things on TV in spite of the violence and in spite of the swearing and not because of it.

No way I will let my daughter watch GOT or TWD. She is 13.

Fucking love a good swear me

Otis

It has to be timed and used properly though. A well timed C bomb in game of thrones is genius.

The:

"there's no cure for being a c**t"

stands out!

You see, I particularly hate the C word. Makes me shudder every time I hear it. Hate that more than anything.

Nick

Administrator
You see, I particularly hate the C word. Makes me shudder every time I hear it. Hate that more than anything.

It depends on the use, chavvy kids saying it every other word is horrible. In something like game of thrones when timed and used like that it's genius.

shmmeee

I was dragged to see the two Lord of the Rings sequels. Between them and the two Matrix sequels it did feel like I'd lost months of my life.

Not a fan of any of the traditional geek stuff. Can't stand fantasy or most sci fi.

GoT isn't really like that. There's barely any magic in the first few seasons and then when it does turn up it's hardly central to the plot. It's more like a politicial triller set in medieval times than a fantasy series TBF.

Otis

Not a fan of any of the traditional geek stuff. Can't stand fantasy or most sci fi.

GoT isn't really like that. There's barely any magic in the first few seasons and then when it does turn up it's hardly central to the plot. It's more like a politicial triller set in medieval times than a fantasy series TBF.

Yeah, true. Would say it is quite different to Lord of the Rings and only occasionally turns to fantasy and dragons and giants.

If it's a political thriller though, are the White Walkers UKIP or the EDL?

ajsccfc

The fact that so many people obsess over it makes me sure I'd love it if I got into it, I just don't have the interest to make that commitment especially as I'm about halfway through a dozen other shows I've left hanging. Breaking Bad had already finished before I even got started on it.

Users who are viewing this thread