Sky & BT win Premier League TV rights (1 Viewer)

The CableGuy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18430036

BT has secured the rights to broadcast 38 Premier League games for each of the seasons from 2013-14 to 2015-16.

BSkyB will continue to show the majority of matches, having secured the rights to 116 games per season, the Premier League said.

The total of 154 live matches is 16 more than currently broadcast and more than 40% of all top-level matches.

The sales raised £3.018bn, an increase of £1.25bn on the current package which shares rights between BSkyB and ESPN.

BBC sports news correspondent James Pearce said the amount paid for the new deal was "staggering", marking a rise of 70% on the present deal.
That's shat news for ESPN, and Virgin Media. Potentially great news for BT Vision/Broadband customers who will probably get EPL footy at a reduced price.

Significantly, BT won Package A (Saturday 12.45 kickoffs) which has over 20 1st pick games, to appeal to the Far East EPL fans.

BenInTurin

Facebook User
70% increase paid compared to last time. Just goes to show how unreal football is these days: families struggling to put food on the table but £3 billion can still be spent on televised football...

The CableGuy

Sky - £6.55m per game
BT - £6.47m per game

:thinking about:

Sky have actually paid 28% more than the last deal for a worse selection of games.

Last edited:

The CableGuy

Yup! And I'm planning on standing waaayy back to watch the fireworks when it does :)

I wouldn't want to be a Sky employee when that happens. That whole business is built on EPL football and the customers willing to pay insane amounts every year to watch it.

Tad

I wouldn't want to be a Sky employee when that happens. That whole business is built on EPL football and the customers willing to pay insane amounts every year to watch it.

True. ESPN had problems last season when they didn't pick up the rights to the NHL. Thousands unsubscribed to them leaving a rather large dent in their pockets as they were the only channel to show NHL in Europe!

They've got them back for next season, but I think it's to late. Because Europe was left without NHL, the league itself created NHLGameCenter. Gamecenter allows you to watch entire games live or not via the Internet. It shows every game too! I know I like it :D

D

Deleted member 4232

I wonder if this will mean reduced ticket prices now that the clubs are earning more money :D

Oh... Thought not... :(

70% increase paid compared to last time. Just goes to show how unreal football is these days: families struggling to put food on the table but £3 billion can still be spent on televised football...

Absolutely ridiculous isn't it !!!

This only encourages the continuation of paying some of these egotistical moronic clowns £260,000 + PER WEEK or £13,520,000 pa for kicking a ball about !!!

The Premier League get's the lions share and the rest peanuts.

To further this unsustainable madness is bordering on criminal and the obscene wages this generates bear no relationship to any other sport for effort expended v value for money.

How on earth can this continue with clubs collapsing around our ears (including of course CCFC) in a sea of debt to compete with their peers whilst the Football League, the FA and Sky blatantly ignores the lower leagues.

It makes you weep.

PUSB

D

Deleted member 4232

Want to know the funny thing? Arsenal are the only club in in premier league who invest money in their womens teams. However, its the players that give the money, not willingly, its in their contracts.

The money in football is ridiculous.

SuperCov

Didn't that pub Landlady win her case to show football from other EU providers (via a Greek sat company)? I thought it also applied to home users aswell? Surely a much cheaper option than Sky? :)

The CableGuy

Didn't that pub Landlady win her case to show football from other EU providers (via a Greek sat company)? I thought it also applied to home users aswell? Surely a much cheaper option than Sky? :)

She won, but pubs can still get done if they shown any EPL game which features the EPL logo on screen.....which all of them do.

In theory, if you covered up that part of the screen with black tape, then legally you'll be Ok. :)

Users who are viewing this thread