Slade eager to bolster attacking options (1 Viewer)

CovisGod

FOOTBALL: RUSSELL Slade is continuing to work his magic in the transfer market and is looking to bring in two more midfielders and at least one striker before the current window slams shuts, the Observer can reveal.

Farrend Rawson became Slade’s second loan signing after joining from Derby County this week and was the final piece of the defensive jigsaw for the new City boss.

A lack of creativity and goals has been a big issue for the Sky Blues this season and Slade is now working hard to improve those areas of the team in order to improve the club’s precarious position at the bottom of the League One table.

It is understood that Derby striker Charles Vernam will join the Sky Blues on loan next week, while Slade is also running the rule over former QPR star Samba Diakite and Cardiff City midfielder Theo Wharton, both of whom are currently on trial at Ryton.

“I’d like to bring two more in in midfield, one wide player and one central and least one striker if not two,” Slade told the Observer.

“We’re very close to bringing one striker in, there is an agreement in place. We were hoping to get him in this week but we’re having to wait a bit longer but in principle the deal has been agreed.

“Both trialists are doing fine. I knew Theo during my time at Cardiff and he was a very promising player.

“He picked up an injury which was unlucky for him be he’s still a young player who I think has a bright future in the game.

“Samba is probably not up to speed fitness wise I’d say but the work he’s done has been beneficial to him. He has got huge pedigree and it wasn’t that long ago when he was a multi-million pound player, but he’s probably just lost his way a little bit.

“Both players will be analysed on Monday when we’ll take a look at them and see how they do against Crystal Palace.

“Of course both players’ fitness is a concern because given our situation we can’t be waiting on them too long to get up to speed, which is another reason why they’re playing on Monday.

Ben Stevenson has been attracting interest from the Championship. (s)

Meanwhile, interest in City youngster Ben Stevenson looks to have died down this week with Brentford not having returned with an improved offer.

The Championship side had two bids of £500,000 and £750,000 turned down by the Sky Blues last week.

The Observer understands those figures fall below the club’s valuation for the highly-rated midfielder and Slade is pleased to see that the transfer attention has not affected Stevenson’s attitude.

He added: “There have been no fresh offers for any of our players this week.

“Of course there is always speculation and there have been a few enquiries but there has been nothing solid. Enquiries yes, that will always happen.

“You can judge a lot by a players’ body language and I’m pleased enough with what I’ve seen from all of the players, including young Stevenson.

“The fact that there’s interest in our young players like Stevenson shows that we’re doing something right but at the same time that doesn’t mean you put a limit on what they can do because Ben, like every player, wants to play at the highest level possible.”

Sky Blues boss Russell Slade eager to bolster his attacking options in the transfer market

CovisGod

I'm reading that as the loan lad from Derby coming in and possibly the two trialists but not a lot else....or have I mis-read it ?

rupert_bear

He's said one if not two strikers, he knows he needs one that knows his way round this division I just hope Fisher agrees

oakey

I expect one striker in addition to loan, Vernam
Plus one more midfielder, in addition to trialist, Samba.
So definitely trying to get 3/4 more in.
Vernam is an add on not the marquee signing Slade is after. Probably a beast of a centre forward.

SlowerThanPlatt

Isn't that article from last week? The Palace U23s game was postponed but there's another game against QPR on Monday which I presume both Diakite and Wharton will play in if they're still around. It's a 1pm kick-off at the Alan Higgs Centre for those interested.

chinamans view

We should have had RS in the summer we might of been promoted this season. What was TM & MV doing last summer, Slade has proved you can sign good players on this budget and we all know its harder in Jan to sign players than the summer

Gazolba

FOOTBALL: RUSSELL Slade is continuing to work his magic in the transfer market and is looking to bring in two more midfielders and at least one striker before the current window slams shuts, the Observer can reveal.<snip>
This desperate drive to get 'bodies in the door' smacks of the time under Steve Pressley where half of the recruits turned out to be useless duds. Bringing in players is one thing but getting them fully fit and playing together in a system, is quite another task. It will take several weeks to bed in new players by which time relegation could well be a certainty, if it isn't already. It's all a bit too late if you ask me.

SkyBlueCoco88

Bristol Rovers have released 6 players including an experienced keeper, worth a look Russell??
Jermaine Easter was one of them, not a bad option at this level and someone who has scored goals pretty much everywhere he has been. Also, what has happened to Browne from West Ham? Would love us to take a chance on him looks to be a beast

Hobo

Had to laugh at this. "I'd like to sign a new starting 11" :playful:

Probably every manager wants to change their whole 11 when dreaming in lala land. Firstly it is not going to happen; secondly you wouldn't voice it to the players would you?

robbiekeane

Probably every manager wants to change their whole 11 when dreaming in lala land. Firstly it is not going to happen; secondly you wouldn't voice it to the players would you?
Disagree completely.
Looks like he's made big changes already that will completely change the team. Regarding voicing it to the team....they're going to find out sooner or later aren't they? Who cares, not like they could perform any worse is it

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Jermaine Easter was one of them, not a bad option at this level and someone who has scored goals pretty much everywhere he has been. Also, what has happened to Browne from West Ham? Would love us to take a chance on him looks to be a beast

Venus was keen on him when he was in charge - Slade not so much when he came in.

Skyblueweeman

This desperate drive to get 'bodies in the door' smacks of the time under Steve Pressley where half of the recruits turned out to be useless duds. Bringing in players is one thing but getting them fully fit and playing together in a system, is quite another task. It will take several weeks to bed in new players by which time relegation could well be a certainty, if it isn't already. It's all a bit too late if you ask me.

It's not really desperate though, is it? He brought 3 players in within 12 hours of the transfer window opening. If he brings them in late, he'll get panned and he's brought in 3 first thing in the window and he's still getting panned?

Manchester_sky_blue

"Coventry City manager Russell Slade has identified a number of area that need working on and is looking to bring in midfielders and strikers to change that.

Slade told Laura Hunter: “We’ve been more solid defensively and I’ve just completed the last defensive signing that we plan to make. But we still haven’t kept a clean sheet, so that is the next step."

Is that a sneaky way of saying he's bringing in a keeper?

ccfc_Tom

We should have had RS in the summer we might of been promoted this season. What was TM & MV doing last summer, Slade has proved you can sign good players on this budget and we all know its harder in Jan to sign players than the summer
Promoted!? we haven't won a game under him yet

davebart

Of course he was going to bring players in. for a start off a few loans went back. whether the new lads are better remains to be seen.

Gosford Green

Are you on drugs ? We have not won a league game under Slade and sit bottom of the table after loosing to our relegation rivals last week.

All it takes among some fans is 3 or 4 signings and even before they run out on the pitch at the Ricoh they going to get us promoted as champions.

Terry Gibson's perm

Maybe we will get promoted from division four next year as we are heading there with this side.

SkyBlueCoco88

Well Browne gone to wigan today so there's that one gone

Hobo

Disagree completely.
Looks like he's made big changes already that will completely change the team. Regarding voicing it to the team....they're going to find out sooner or later aren't they? Who cares, not like they could perform any worse is it
So he will bring in eleven in this window don't think so?

Also well known in sports psychology you don't blame players or individuals. Players know when they make mistakes, they need support and development.

Once blame starts they blame someone else and so on, soon you have a split dressing room. Instead you emphasis why someone is in the team. The whole team is responsible for everything. You work on the team not individuals.

trevelfarandwide

Exactly this, in fact I was about to post something along these lines.

After today's 'result', well...this entire season has been utterly, utterly atrocious in every single department of CCFC. I cannot see the situation coming remotely close to even slightly improving. Might win 4 games between now and the end of this shithole of a season, that's as many as I see feasibly.

Otis

Exactly this, in fact I was about to post something along these lines.

After today's 'result', well...this entire season has been utterly, utterly atrocious in every single department of CCFC. I cannot see the situation coming remotely close to even slightly improving. Might win 4 games between now and the end of this shithole of a season, that's as many as I see feasibly.
I've happy with that.

After 4 wins in 27 matches, surely 4 wins in 19 is much better form.

Gazolba

No way will be getting three or four new players in without letting one or two go.

Evo1883

It won't do any good , you won't score many goals by hitting it upfield and hoping somebody gets a flick on or a lucky chance .
How much did we actually create today ? Even if pele was running that line he wouldn't have anything to work with

Users who are viewing this thread