Sometimes Only An Instrumental Will Do (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

Some of my faves:

Simple Minds - Theme For Great Cities
Silicon Teens - Chip 'n' Roll
John Barry - The Adventurer
Buzzcocks - Walking Distance
Bill Nelson - The Passion
Neu - Isi
M - Transmission
New Musik - The Office
Depeche Mode - Headstar
John Foxx - Swimmer 2

Monners

Some of my faves:

Simple Minds - Theme For Great Cities
Silicon Teens - Chip 'n' Roll
John Barry - The Adventurer
Buzzcocks - Walking Distance
Bill Nelson - The Passion
Neu - Isi
M - Transmission
New Musik - The Office
Depeche Mode - Headstar
John Foxx - Swimmer 2
Lilac TIme - Paradise Circus (old smithy version)
Yo La Tengo - I Heard You Looking

torchomatic

Yeah forgot about Paradise Circus. I love The Lilac Time.

Monners

Played the album (on vinyl!) at the weekend - brings back memories of more innocent times when me and 'er indoors first got together.

torchomatic

Such great singles on there. Fave track on it is If The Stars Shine Tonight. Lyrics are clever too.

Grendel

Hall of The Mountain Grill by Hawkwind is a rather haunting instrumental piece. The title track of an album that invokes space fantasy imagery inspired by Michael Moorcock. How disappointing to discover the Mountain Grill was a greasy spoon the band used to hang around in

Oddly Black Sabbath had instrumentals on many early albums. One entitled "Fluff" is very relaxing chill out stuff. Allegedly the title was a dedication to the one mainstream DJ that championed their work - Alan Freeman.

skyblueinBaku

Anybody There and Maybe Next Time by Rainbow. They also recorded great instrumental versions of The Snowman and Beethoven's 9th symphony ( called Difficult to Cure).

NorthernWisdom

Anybody There and Maybe Next Time by Rainbow. They also recorded great instrumental versions of The Snowman and Beethoven's 9th symphony ( called Difficult to Cure).
The stuff he does with Blackmore's Night works rather well too.

Anyway, can I add Oh Well (Part 2) by Fleetwood Mac, Switch 625 by Def Leppard(!) and I confess to a liking for Joe Satriani, so The Extremist as an album would be the best instrumental album (Flying in a Blue Dream actually has vocals, which rules it out!).

UFO did some little instrumentals in the early days, too, so stick on Liptick Traces.

Paul Anthony

There's a song by Steve Vai called "Whispering a Prayer". I've always found it a very powerful song to listen to. It's something I'd like to experience being there when it's played live one day.

Last edited:

ovduk78

Couldn't think what Maybe Next Time was but then realised it is Vielleicht das Nachtser Zeit!! I've been listening to a fair bit of Rainbow recently thanks to someone on here who thought Joe Lynn Turner was a better singer than Ronnie James Dio and I had forgotten how brilliant a guitarist Ritchie Blackmore is even on studio albums

dancers lance

Genesis - The Brazilian........................sorry, It's a guilty pleasure.

Gazolba

Jazzy instrumental. Think this was a number one hit back in the day:

Last edited:

dancers lance

Loads of Ennio Morricone's, John Barry's stuff, Focus - Sylvia, Apache, Oxygene - John Michel Jarre......................Popcorn - Hot Butter!

Gazolba

Anything by The Ventures is good:

Gazolba

More Ventures:

torchomatic

torchomatic

Jazzy instrumental. Think this was a number one hit back in the day:

I ran (still do but not managed to update it for months) an Easy listening blog and i posted a few of their albums. I uploaded a lot on YouTube too, like this stunner:

Blog: loungetastic.blogspot.com

skyblueinBaku

Couldn't think what Maybe Next Time was but then realised it is Vielleicht das Nachtser Zeit!! I've been listening to a fair bit of Rainbow recently thanks to someone on here who thought Joe Lynn Turner was a better singer than Ronnie James Dio and I had forgotten how brilliant a guitarist Ritchie Blackmore is even on studio albums
I still think Turner is a better singer than Dio! :happy:

Gazolba

Duelling Banjos:

wingy

Not strictly an Instrumental.
Was watching the end credits of Newsnight last night.
Little topic about a new space telescope coming into operation.
So they put a little video up called Event Horizon, I assume CG animation or such like.
Pretty amazing on its own, then married it to Commercial reign by Inspiral Carpets.
Never heard it ever before, a tad retro sounding, due to the keyboards I think.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Most stuff by Tangerine Dream.
Any Pink Floyd instrumental!
King Crimson

torchomatic

Not strictly an Instrumental.
Was watching the end credits of Newsnight last night.
Little topic about a new space telescope coming into operation.
So they put a little video up called Event Horizon, I assume CG animation or such like.
Pretty amazing on its own, then married it to Commercial reign by Inspiral Carpets.
Never heard it ever before, a tad retro sounding, due to the keyboards I think.

Inspiral Carpets are excellent. One of the few bands I liked in the 90s.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

One of the best tracks I have ever heard. Ideal for skiing, flying, lying on the beach, and pretty much anything with a good view to soak up the atmosphere.

torchomatic

Atom Heart Mother too, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread