Spare the ROD! (1 Viewer)

CJparker

As already noted, it sounds like the club are thinking of letting ROD go - that will be ironic if he scores the winner today in the SFA Cup final against Hearts!

I thought he had another year on his contract?

He owuld be decent in League 1 (or less bad anyway), so I reckon he deserves a proper chance. This time he could slot in as a winger, wide midfielder or even at the point of the diamond.

What do people think his best position is? (other than "the bench", "in exile in Scotland", "hell" etc)??

Sky Blue Sheepy

It's amazing what a bit of confidence can do for a player. His loan might (only might) have given him a bit of confidence and sharpness that he needed.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Tbf, I honestly believe he was brought back on sentimental grounds. He obviously loves the game, but isn't very good at it (from what we've seen).

He might do well in League 1, but can we afford to take the chance on someone who might or might not do well?

I'm sure when he was finding the back of the net for his previous clubs, he was playing with players around him who played to his strengths, where as here, he hasn't. And I can't see that changing next season. He's a nippy little player, who can run into space, but whilst the majority of our players fail to play to ball into that space, he's always going to struggle.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
It's amazing what a bit of confidence can do for a player. His loan might (only might) have given him a bit of confidence and sharpness that he needed.

He hasn't really set the SPL alight though has he. anyone know how many appearance He's made, and how many from the bench? I only recall him getting one, maybe 2 goals in that time.

Otis

Think he has 2 goals. 1 in the league and 1 in the cup.

Right and proper to let him go. His goal per game ratio is quite dreadful these past few years.

Astute

Think he has 2 goals. 1 in the league and 1 in the cup.

Right and proper to let him go. His goal per game ratio is quite dreadful these past few years.

Similar return as Platt for us?

CJparker

Even worse. They should both go.

And replace them with who???

At the LSC forum, AT said that one of the most important things he has learned as a manager is, wherever possible, do not let players leave (even if they are crap) unless you've already got a replacement. Under an embargo as we are, that means that we are stuck with some dead wood for a bit longer unless we want to field the U-18s!!

Grendel

Otis

Platt is fine if he is having lots of assists.

Would like to see the stats but I don't think this will be the case.

Astute

So we need to keep Platt although he hardly ever scores and is supposedly a striker that can only play once a week? Maybe Rod gives his new team more than goals.

Grendel

So we need to keep Platt although he hardly ever scores and is supposedly a striker that can only play once a week? Maybe Rod gives his new team more than goals.

Platt can play one week and score no goals. Then when he is tired for a midweek game o'donovan can replace him and....score no goals.

Astute

At least that would be a like for like replacement

CJparker

At least Rod is versatile, we will need players like that with a painfully thin squad next year.

Platt is a bit like Heskey; he can unsettle defences through his sheer presence, and this allows others to create chances and score goals

Brighton Sky Blue

I think at this point in time, we just need any old player as we can't afford or indeed sign anyone better than what we've got.

Grendel

At least Rod is versatile, we will need players like that with a painfully thin squad next year.

Platt is a bit like Heskey; he can unsettle defences through his sheer presence, and this allows others to create chances and score goals

Versatile at what? Can he do some stewarding of short on match days? Come on, he offers nothing. If we are relying on him to contribute anything next season we are in trouble,

Yorkshire SB

ROD is just not good enough. I think he'd struggle to hit double figures in the conference (there's a reason he barely featured at a side relegated and struggling for goals). Disagree about Platt as well, he's almost immobile. Scores the odd header now and again but I don't think he unsettles that many defences or creates that many chances. Likeable character, but ultimately not good enough and getting on a bit.

Chipfat

This post is exactly why these owners should have no friends at our club,, O'd or Platt, thats what we are down too!!!!!!!!!!!!. No one can now give me a valid reason why SISU should be anywhere near a football club if this is the depth's we have reached...And after seeing post about its ok to let Craine go!!!!!!!!!!some fans deserve what they get,,, Nuneaton here we come and im not kidding....

wingy

This post is exactly why these owners should have no friends at our club,, O'd or Platt, thats what we are down too!!!!!!!!!!!!. No one can now give me a valid reason why SISU should be anywhere near a football club if this is the depth's we have reached...And after seeing post about its ok to let Craine go!!!!!!!!!!some fans deserve what they get,,, Nuneaton here we come and im not kidding....
it begs the question ,if you had £6.5m. to invest would it be wiser to invest it with the BORO over 3-4 seasons.

stupot07

ROD cost Sunderland 500,000 euros evidently & played 17 games in the Premier league according to Wiki.

He only started 4 league and 1 cup game for Sunderland.

Actually when you look at his record he has made just 58 starts and 39 sub appearances (14 goals) in 6 seasons since Sunderland signed him in July 2006 - that to me says a lot. And of those 14 goals, 9 came from his only goalscoring spell in England - the 15 games for Hartlepool, 2 from his current loan spell (6 starts 10 subs), 1 for us, Southend And Dundee united......but hay ho he is "proven" in league one.

Users who are viewing this thread