Sporting Contests Past Or Present ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

With the Mayweather v McGregor fight approaching it got me thinking about other sporting contests. If it were possible who would you like to see up against each other ? It could be a great from the past up against someone from today.This fight is a boxing legend v a MMA fighter. I'd love to see Marciano in his prime v Tyson when he was at his best,what a scrap that would be. In other sports how about Rod Laver v Federer or Jim Clark driving against Hamilton ? Over to you !

Otis

With the Mayweather v McGregor fight approaching it got me thinking about other sporting contests. If it were possible who would you like to see up against each other ? It could be a great from the past up against someone from today.This fight is a boxing legend v a MMA fighter. I'd love to see Marciano in his prime v Tyson when he was at his best,what a scrap that would be. In other sports how about Rod Laver v Federer or Jim Clark driving against Hamilton ? Over to you !
McGrath v Hoddle.

:)

bringbackrattles

George Best up against defenders playing today. And my late father was always saying Stanley Matthews would run rings around defenders in any era. Just to see if he was right would be worth watching.

bringbackrattles

Surely the players nowadays are much fitter and stronger.

Would be interesting to see Best vs Messi / Ronaldo in today's game.
They are probably fitter etc. But if you're talented you don't need to be super fit, Jimmy Greaves was in his own words lazy, but when you score as many goals as he did who needs to be !

Nick

Administrator
They are probably fitter etc. But if you're talented you don't need to be super fit, Jimmy Greaves was in his own words lazy, but when you score as many goals as he did who needs to be !

Yeah but if the defenders are fitter and stronger and goalkeepers too it would be interesting.

Gazolba

I'd like to see the Real Madrid from 1955-60 (with Puskas, Di Stefano and Gento) vs the Real Madrid of today.
Or the Manchester United of 1964-67 (with Best, Law and Charltion) vs the Man Utd of today.

bringbackrattles

I'd like to see the Real Madrid from 1955-60 (with Puskas, Di Stefano and Gento) vs the Real Madrid of today.
Or the Manchester United of 1964-67 (with Best, Law and Charltion) vs the Man Utd of today.
How about the Cov City team that won promotion to Division One under Jimmy Hill verses our 87 Cup Final winning side ?

CJ_covblaze

Sir Donald Bradman facing the WIndies attack of Marshall, Holding, Roberts etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing him face the Windies' current "attack" would be good too. The boundary at Old Trafford would have to run next to the other Old Trafford.

LastGarrison

Ali v Tyson to put the Tyson myth to bed.

Calzaghe being born a few years earlier to be involved with Benn, Eubank, Watson, McClellan etc.

Mayweather v Pacquiao about 10 years earlier than they fought.

Piers Morgan v A Polar Bear

CJ_covblaze

Travs

I think that to an extent, class would outshine brute strength and fitness in most cases. But it's a close run thing.

Example I'd give is Pirlo (my fave player of all time) who several times made Gerrard look like a bumbling Sunday player. And Pirlo fairly strolled round most of the time...

bringbackrattles

I think that to an extent, class would outshine brute strength and fitness in most cases. But it's a close run thing.

Example I'd give is Pirlo (my fave player of all time) who several times made Gerrard look like a bumbling Sunday player. And Pirlo fairly strolled round most of the time...
Is Pirlo still playing ? A class act.

Users who are viewing this thread