standard of refereeing in the premiership this season (1 Viewer)

Evans1883

just watched mourinhos rant on MOTD , wether you agree it was a penalty or not the standard of refereeing this season has been nothing short of awful , so many game altering decisions wrongly made and in all honesty i believe a manager has every right to say within reason that the ref had a bad day .
the problem is with the FA that its all one way , refs rarely get punished for awful perfomances and managers always get punished for remarks .
change is needed

gouldberg

I think this is the issue starting to come to the forefront. A referee can cost a team points (which in the new era of football being a business means they can cost a team money) yet he doesn't have to answer to anyone. The FA just put a blanket over them and in effect make the situation worse by showing that regardless of how bad of a game you have, you won't be told you were rubbish.

The NBA (National Basketball Association) in America has a system in place that challenges the referees to perform well. It's simple, make a key mistake, and the NBA call them out on it, saying what the correct call should have been. Trust me, they get far less wrong than they used to! I suppose that's helped in part thanks to the NBA's love of technology. They're happy to have video reviews during the game when a key incident happens. Football seems to have this naive need for purity. With the technology we have nowadays, it would have taken maybe 1 to 2 minutes to sort out the 'penalty' in the Chelsea game.

They can't ignore this for much longer as officiating standards are falling rapidly and there is plenty of technology kicking around that is minimally disruptive and would sort out a lot of this mess. If Liverpool go on to win the title this year (which is almost a certainty now) then it will be tarnished by poor officiating costing rival teams points at a vital time. The game of football doesn't need that hanging over its head year after year.

Look at Cricket, Rugby, American Football, Basketball, Tennis, they all embrace technology. Football needs to do the same. Goal-line technology is a start, but it should have been here sooner and the capabilities in modern replay systems and camera's need to be capitalised upon in other aspects of football.

Macca

I think everybody other than professional referees should take charge. Managers, players, pundits and fans. I mean they are all such fucking experts. Be quite difficult running around the pitch carrying all those monitors with different camera angles though

rondog1973

I think this is the issue starting to come to the forefront. A referee can cost a team points (which in the new era of football being a business means they can cost a team money) yet he doesn't have to answer to anyone. The FA just put a blanket over them and in effect make the situation worse by showing that regardless of how bad of a game you have, you won't be told you were rubbish.

The NBA (National Basketball Association) in America has a system in place that challenges the referees to perform well. It's simple, make a key mistake, and the NBA call them out on it, saying what the correct call should have been. Trust me, they get far less wrong than they used to! I suppose that's helped in part thanks to the NBA's love of technology. They're happy to have video reviews during the game when a key incident happens. Football seems to have this naive need for purity. With the technology we have nowadays, it would have taken maybe 1 to 2 minutes to sort out the 'penalty' in the Chelsea game.

They can't ignore this for much longer as officiating standards are falling rapidly and there is plenty of technology kicking around that is minimally disruptive and would sort out a lot of this mess. If Liverpool go on to win the title this year (which is almost a certainty now) then it will be tarnished by poor officiating costing rival teams points at a vital time. The game of football doesn't need that hanging over its head year after year.

Look at Cricket, Rugby, American Football, Basketball, Tennis, they all embrace technology. Football needs to do the same. Goal-line technology is a start, but it should have been here sooner and the capabilities in modern replay systems and camera's need to be capitalised upon in other aspects of football.
Absolute rubbish this. Mourinho ably demonstrated what a graceless tosser he was yesterday with his post match rant. The replay showed the Lino made the call on the Pen decision and actually got it right.

The rest of your post I generally agree with.

wingy

It was ever thus .

Refs have always made mistakes .

It Is the Media exposure and Punditry that's changed ,however I'm all for embracing the technology, that visual coverage Pundits access ,utilised .

stupot07

Is the standard of refereeing rapidly declining? Or are there more camera angles, super slow mo's and pundits that think they're experts? I do wonder if managers have media training on deflecting blame from themselves and players, by blaming the ref's for poor decisions? Mourinho and Wenger do it even when there's little to moan about.

There's been poor officiating since the invention of referees (e.g 1986 hand of god).

Ref's often get demoted after making mistakes.

Technology isn't perfect, look at cricket and the DRS system.

Completely agree that goal line technology should be brought in, but to replay fouls, etc should be left alone.

If referees didn't make mistakes it would make football dull and we'd have less to talk about.

And if liverpool win the title, no ones is going to go back (with the exemption of Chelsea fans) and say they were lucky and only won because of poor refereeing decisions.....how many dodgy decisions have Chelsea benefited from earlier in the season? Like this one (http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...nt-off-as-Chelsea-awarded-contentious-penalty)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Brighton Sky Blue

All things being equal today I should become a referee once again (after letting my registration lapse a few years ago ;)) and having sat through the training sessions and gone through the rules it becomes frightening just how wrong pundits are on even basic aspects of the rules.

That said, referees are routinely demoted for outstandingly bad displays and they are held to account. The ridiculous scrutiny every decision is put under and the ignorance of the person providing it combine to create a pretty hostile working environment which might be behind the number of high profile mistakes we're seeing this season.

smouch1975

Football Federation Australia made an application to FIFA, requesting that it's refs be mic'ed for the A-League finals series, like is evident in Rugby games.

FIFA said 'No'

Users who are viewing this thread