Steve Bruce upset by player power (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

163373b7-017f-42e0-b043-ebd57bb70e01.jpg
Ex-United captain baffled by questions of ambition at Old Trafford
Sunderland manager Steve Bruce is saddened by the fact that power seemingly lies with players in the modern day.
This week's extraordinary events surrounding Wayne Rooney's intentions to leave Manchester United have highlighted that clubs have little say in the future of their employees.
Since the introduction of the Bosman Ruling, players essentially hold the greater weight in transfer discussions and this does not impress Bruce.
The former Manchester United captain, who has watched ex-boss Sir Alex Ferguson battle with the Rooney saga, thinks keeping players happy is now of paramount importance.
Bruce said: "That's the biggest part of all our jobs now. Tactics are only a little bit-part of what we face day in and day out.

Difficult

"The biggest one is the man-management of the player now with the power they have since Bosman.
"The power is all with the players and that, for me, is sad because it is very, very difficult for any club, this just goes to prove, even Manchester United."
Bruce spent almost 10 years at United as Ferguson built a series of teams which took English football by the scruff of the neck.
And, although he recognises the landscape of the Premier League has changed, he cannot accept Rooney questioning the ambition at Old Trafford.
He said: "It just shows you, even the best manager in the world with arguably one of the best clubs in the world still has the problems we all face.
"It's not for me to question Wayne Rooney, but the only thing I find strange is, I played there for the best part of 10 years and to question their ambition, I find that unbelievable."

Users who are viewing this thread