Strange transfer activity? (1 Viewer)

CCFC54321

most will agree we desperately need a forward that can make the ball stick and play off. I think a large majority would agree but we sign a centre half that isn't a priority.

I can only think something happened and a deal or two didn't go through today. Centre half wasn't an area that needed strengthening.

Harry_Walker

only two plausible reasons for us signing Davies in my opinion and they are we're going to play 3 at the back (Willis RCB, David CCB and McDonald LCB with Grimmer and Stokes operating as wing back) or the injury that McDonald sustained will keep him out for lengthy period and with us only having Hyam and Willis we needed to sign someone

Nick

Administrator
only two plausible reasons for us signing Davies in my opinion and they are we're going to play 3 at the back (Willis RCB, David CCB and McDonald LCB with Grimmer and Stokes operating as wing back) or the injury that McDonald sustained will keep him out for lengthy period and with us only having Hyam and Willis we needed to sign someone
Much better to be prepared

CCFC_Charlie

We needed a CB because Pearson left, and even if he'd have stayed with his injury record we'd have probably needed another one anyway.

chiefdave

Pretty much every club in the country will be saying we could do with a striker who can knock 20 goals in but where do you find them? Especially if you haven't got a load of cash to throw around.

Mucca Mad Boys

A bit bored of going through this again. We have 4 strikers, our first choice has a good record in L2. On top of this, we have a promising goalscorer in the U23s, we don't NEED a striker whether we play 2 upfront or 1, we have the cover.

By contrast, we had 3 contracted centre backs and another on non-contract terms... We 'need' a centre back more so than a striker.

Randeep94

A bit bored of going through this again. We have 4 strikers, our first choice has a good record in L2. On top of this, we have a promising goalscorer in the U23s, we don't NEED a striker whether we play 2 upfront or 1, we have the cover.

By contrast, we had 3 contracted centre backs and another on non-contract terms... We 'need' a centre back more so than a striker.

Another winger/attacking midfielder wouldn't go a miss though, maybe use of the loan system to pick up a youngster from a PL/Championship side.

Mucca Mad Boys

Another winger/attacking midfielder wouldn't go a miss though, maybe use of the loan system to pick up a youngster from a PL/Championship side.

I disagree, because you need to give all these new signings that everyone wants game time. We have a squad of 21 senior players, the only youngsters in that number are Stevenson and DKE. Then you've got players like; Leahy, Camwell, Shipley, Maycock, Finn, DeKE, Ponticelli and other youngsters knocking on the door. Not many more squads in this division can call upon a pool of 28+ players.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

But why ?:rolleyes:o_O:oops::rolleyes:

CCFC54321

I'm interested to know after the games played so far this season that you think a centre half was a priority (especially as our full backs can cover in case of emergencies)

the lad from Sutton a going to take some serious coaching to get to a decent level so I've all but written him off this season.

Hobo

22 on a sensible budget, plus 6 or 7 youth is a reasonable squad in League 2.

higgs

Michael Smith released by pompey surprised we didn't try get him

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

zuni

So can we sign released players ...someone mentioned we can't if they were with another club till Jan #confused

Nick

Administrator
I'm interested to know after the games played so far this season that you think a centre half was a priority (especially as our full backs can cover in case of emergencies)

the lad from Sutton a going to take some serious coaching to get to a decent level so I've all but written him off this season.

Because McDonald is injured and Willis keeps going off injured every game? Pearson was cover on a temporary contract, so that needed to be made full time or go.

Stokes is decent cover, but if we put him LB it means Camwell or Leahy have to drop onto left back.

Mucca Mad Boys

Two reasons:

1) A trend I've noticed is that if you average less than 1 goal conceded a game, the likelihood of coming in the playoffs is almost a certainty. Bringing me on to my next point...

2) Teams who have had strikers who've got 20+ goals hasn't necessarily correlated into success. Barnet have Akinde, a striker who has banged in 49 goals in 2 seasons - finished 15th both times. You have Stevenage, Cambridge, Grimsby, Barnet and Crawley all with 20 (or thereabouts) goal strikers finishing 11th-19th.

If there was a 20-goal a season striker available at this point, I'd obviously take him. But, you've got to build a squad if you're serious about promotion. We've had teams with not one, but two 20-goal a season strikers in the same team (McG + Clarke and Clarke + Wilson)! Yet have failed to make even the playoffs! If you don't concede, you can't lose.

You'd think with our experiences, we'd know better. Obviously not.

Esoterica

most will agree we desperately need a forward that can make the ball stick and play off. I think a large majority would agree but we sign a centre half that isn't a priority.

I can only think something happened and a deal or two didn't go through today. Centre half wasn't an area that needed strengthening.

I'll put my hand up as one that disagrees. People have watched us play long ball against big organised sides in Newport and Yeovil and want us to buy a big target man because none of our strikers were suited to it. It's effectively saying 'I'm happy with playing shit football, now lets play shit football better than the rest'. It doesn't work for me. We've put together a decent enough footballing squad it just needs using properly with a couple of formation tweaks.

And this Biamou bashing that starts to be a trend.... he's just stepped up from non league for the first time and only played 101 minutes, starting a game just once.
Biamou played 17 mins vs Notts County. We scored 2 goals in that time.
62 mins vs Blackburn started but didn't play well but had kids in the team and a poor central midfield against decent L1 opposition.
12 mins vs Newport where we just lumped balls at his head when they already had 10 men behind the ball.
10 mins vs Yeovil when we were already 2-0 down.

Are we really writing him off for the season after 39 minutes of league football spread over the arse end of 3 games in which 2 we played ugly hoofs into the box? Makes me despair.

CCFC54321

unbelievable
No no no no no- it's not unbelievable? The boy is no where near good for first team football and I bet the majority of supporters would agree. I'm sorry but you may get two or three agreeing with you on this thread but the boy needs a full season being coached. He is no where near ready for 1st team football.

Nick

Administrator
No no no no no- it's not unbelievable? The boy is no where near good for first team football and I bet the majority of supporters would agree. I'm sorry but you may get two or three agreeing with you on this thread but the boy needs a full season being coached. He is no where near ready for 1st team football.
Judged on what?

I've been disappointed with his attitude and how he rolls about, but we can't judge his ability just yet.

He hasn't had any decent chances, hasn't been put through for a one on one. He's hat had long balls (which he had won a fair few) with nobody around him to get into them.

dongonzalos

We will no doubt never find out. However I would love to know what the fee was that was paid.
In our situation money is so tight.
I would have preferred any fee to be held on for a decent striker which are so much harder to get than CB's
I think CB wise we could have scrapped through till January.
It would be good know what it was. I am guessing it is very little.
This signing will show us how good MR or his staff are at spotting talent. There is nothing in his record to say get this lad in quick.
So they have obviously seen something in him.
They did well with McDonald so it will be interesting to watch this space

sparky

I can see why Robin's got a centre half in if you do the maths of the amount of players per position we have with cover, plus I've gone and watched the u23,s and there a good side with a settled team winning which I can't see many league 2 teams having such quality youngsters which are adequate players to step up.

I think why people are unhappy we didn't sign a striker is because they haven't seen 1 or 2 of them hit it off like Leon Clarke or Callum Wilson and we seem to spend half the game hoofing it to them which I do believe Robin's does not want to play that way it's just a sign of a new squad taking time to gel so they use the easy ball.
Just think on terms of numbers wether you see goals or not there's beavon,McNulty,biamou,Thomas,ponticelli, all competing for 1 place

Nick

Administrator
Cov fans are pathetic. How any of the new signings can be written off is beyond me.

It's the random expectation that confuses me.

For Strikers we have Beavon (re-signed), McNulty (signed), Biamou (signed), Nazon (signed on loan), K Thomas (already here), Ponticelli (already here).

We have played pretty bad football where we are hoofing it up to McNulty and Beavon up front, Doyle and Kelly are back cuddling the halfway line watching it bypass them and wondering why there is no creativity. Biamou comes on and wins most headers but he is on his own so there's nobody to play off him.

People going on about kneading Baker, we have just signed Andreu from the Championship who will fill the same role and link midfield with attack if he is used properly.

After a couple of games people then expect the magical conveyor belt to bring us some more strikers because the ones already signed aren't hitting hat tricks every game. As if we can suddenly just cast the existing strikers aside and not have to worry about paying them any more.

hill83

kneading Baker

srcstc.gif

Users who are viewing this thread