Striker situation (1 Viewer)

Manchester_sky_blue

Tough. Window is closed, so that's it.

I hope Folivi's very minor injury isn't the same as Stokes' 'just a tight groin.'

We might have to push G Thomas up front, which might mean bringing Spence in to play on the wing.

shmmeee

Surely DeKE is ahead of Spence. He's been on the bench hasn't he, but I don't think Spence has.

Gazolba

What Jimmy Hill did when he was manager and short of strikers, he took one of his defenders who was good at heading the ball and stuck him up front (Dudley Roberts) and from what I remember he scored a few really good goals (6 in 12 appearances).

Captain Dart

This is why I'm using DiKE and DeKE. You'll all be thanking me I tells ya.
Hope they haven't got a brother named Dylan!

shmmeee

What Jimmy Hill did when he was manager and short of strikers, he took one of his defenders who was good at heading the ball and stuck him up front (Dudley Roberts) and from what I remember he scored a few really good goals (6 in 12 appearances).

Problem with that is we haven't got any defenders who can head the ball either.

Edit: that said isn't Willis still our top scorer? Might be worth a shot.

rupert_bear

I remember him started off in a blaze of glory but turned out to be a flash in the pan. The difference between that team and today's was supply chances came from both wings, through the middle too all game be lucky to get a couple of chances now.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Hope we hear that Beavon is okay for Saturday. No word yet on how bad the injury was.

Thing is, it could be desperate if not, hence the concern. If Beavon and Folivi are both out that leaves us just Tudgay and ........ Err, that's it. :(

No way Kwame Thomas will be fit and even if we signed Yakubu he wouldn't be fit enough either.

Fingers crossed both Folivi and Beavon are fit. It's a game we need to win and we need strikers who know where the goal is.

Agreed, this weekend it's looking a bit thin but potentially stronger for Wimbledon next week if we have Folivi, Beavon, Tudgay and Yakubu (hopefully) available. Vernam and K Thomas to come back in the next 2/3 weeks as well, I'd say the options are looking more positive.

Need to make sure we pick up points on Saturday and next week though, absolutely crucial now. Just a mixture of some luck/magic, like we had on Tuesday with Beavon's smart turn and deflected shot, and Reid's quality ball to Thomas (+composed finish) for the 2nd.

wal3590

your not a cov fan. no cov fan would troll the day after getting to wembley. even i wouldnt do that. too much love for my club and fellow fans to do that.

images

steve82

Seems we're shit out of luck this year in the league.... I'm hoping for a bit of a bounce to get something from Oldham but it's taken a knock hearing Beavon is a doubt still having not trained this week. Vernam, more bad luck with his injury tho sounds like it's a few weeks not season done.
Let's hope Folivi can shake his knock in time for tomorrow.
What do we need to do to change our rotten luck...

JulianDarbyFTW

Paul Warhurst for Sheff Weds did similar back in the day. Ended up as a tough-tackling midfielder iirc. It was a fairly common tactic but seems to have fallen out of fashion.

steve82

Paul Warhurst for Sheff Weds did similar back in the day. Ended up as a tough-tackling midfielder iirc. It was a fairly common tactic but seems to have fallen out of fashion.

Very true I don't recall a team lately to do it these days. Read Johnson used to do it a bit but cannot name anyone else

StevieM

I would stick Turnbull up front as a target if needed, better than having another fucking midget trying to get onto the end of the hoofballs launched from the back?
He's a bit skinny and a pushover for our defence but he only has to get a flick or knock down for the runners like Beavon,Thomas,Reid and Jones when challenging for headers at the other end of the park.

oucho

Very true I don't recall a team lately to do it these days. Read Johnson used to do it a bit but cannot name anyone else
I remember a desperate Newcastle manager (OK, sorry, they're usually all desperate after a while) putting John Beresford up front simply because he happened to have scored three goals in the three games prior. Of course, he didn't do anything and was back at full back shortly afterwards - just happened to have banged in his three goals of his entire spell at the club in three consecutive games. Then again they had Temouri Ketsbia as their alternative striker so perhaps Beresford was the better option.

Big Dion and Chris Sutton were both the sort of players you could have at the back or up front but you'd never put them in midfield.

oucho

Hope they haven't got a brother named Dylan!

Mwahaha - only got that on the second reading. You could add...."or a sister call Dyanne / Dyllis " (the latter is a Welsh!)

Nah he means Devon who is an attacker.
The one who has just gone on loan to Nuneaton?

We might have to push G Thomas up front, which might mean bringing Spence in to play on the wing.

I may well have missed it, but why would we play either ahead of Jodi Jones?

Manchester_sky_blue

Mwahaha - only got that on the second reading. You could add...."or a sister call Dyanne / Dyllis " (the latter is a Welsh!)

Ummm because i forgot about him.......

shelby76

Look were we are in the league table that should tell you something.

Garryb80

Because Jones is massively over rated and constantly gives the ball away?

Users who are viewing this thread