Superbowl (1 Viewer)

Darth Robins

Kam Chancellor's a monster, he was player of the game against the 49ers. L.O.B!

He's making a case for player of the game here too! Love me some Bam Bam Kam.

Yeahh, where did football come from? When it's a throwing game?

It's played on foot. Apparently from way back in the old days, our football and rugby actually got named that to distinguish themselves from games played on horseback. American football evolved from football and rugby (more rugby I'd say!) so the name kinda stuck from that.

Last edited:

mark82

Do they really TD ? - actually they do not in 19/20 attempts they just run over the line ALSO why is it called football ? - they rarely use their feet if at all - sorry ajsccfc but the game totally confuses me despite serious attempts.

It's actually closer to the original rules of football than our football is.

wingy

Ah ryt. Plus those on the sidelines lol. Yeahh, jeep are sponsoring the sky coverage. Imagine how much that costs. So much money in this game today it's rediculus lol. Plus the 1.3 billion chicken wings eaten on superbowl Sunday is mad lol

Never seen so many Bingo wings on Pro sportsmen.

mark82

You were aloud to handle the ball weren't you in football? So basically rugby is the original football?

That's right (about handling) however you weren't allowed to hold the ball I believe. There were a number of different codes that have come together and evolved into a number of different sports. I remember reading somewhere there was a position relatively similar to quarterback at one point.

ccfc92

That's right (about handling) however you weren't allowed to hold the ball I believe. There were a number of different codes that have come together and evolved into a number of different sports. I remember reading somewhere there was a position relatively similar to quarterback at one point.

Yeahh just a loose theory lol. I swear rugby clubs are called rugby football clubs aswel? Seem to remember the old Cov rugby stadium had Cov rugby football club?

ajsccfc

Yeahh just a loose theory lol. I swear rugby clubs are called rugby football clubs aswel? Seem to remember the old Cov rugby stadium had Cov rugby football club?

Yeah, a lot use the word football still. I think harlequins go by 'fc' itself.

ccfc92

I don't know much about nfl and won't claim to. But I can see Broncos are having their ass handed to them ;)

mark82

I wish I understood the game, just can't get into it :(

I learnt the game by reading the rules on Wikipedia on night shift. Like most successful sports it's relatively simple once you understand what is going on.

ccfc92

I learnt the game by reading the rules on Wikipedia on night shift. Like most successful sports it's relatively simple once you understand what is going on.

I learned a bit of the rules by playing madden on PlayStation. Haven't played it in ages though, so forgot most rules lol

mark82

What are the team's in comparison?

Like is it like man u playing Cov? Or more like say man u playing man city?

Generally the teams are very even due to the draft system giving the worst team each year the first pick of players coming out of college. These are the 2 best teams this year though.

ccfc92

Generally the teams are very even due to the draft system giving the worst team each year the first pick of players coming out of college. These are the 2 best teams this year though.

Ah ryt. Is it the same elimination like the fa cup? Or do they do group stages like champions league?

ajsccfc

Each team plays 16 regular games, with the best sides advancing to the playoffs which is then straight knockout.

Darth Robins

Can you dream about Coventry winning the playoffs this year please.

I've tried a bunch of times, just lately it always ends with some short blonde woman with a blurry face kicking me in the balls.

E: For guys wanting to learn the game http://www.nfl360.com/ is pretty great for that sort of thing, it's actually aimed at UK fans too. Annoyingly it's down at the moment but I guess it's getting hammered.

mark82

Ah ryt. Is it the same elimination like the fa cup? Or do they do group stages like champions league?

League structure is quite complicated. There is a 16 game regular season. Each team is in a division with 3 other teams in the same(ish) geographical area who they play twice (then once against some oth the other teams selected at random, mostly within conference but a couple cross-conference games each season). There are 4 divisions per conference and 2 conferences (32 teams total). The top team in each division qualifies for the playoffs along with the 2 teams in each conference with the best record who did not finish top of their division. The playoff teams are ranked by record and play knockout games within their conference (conferences are AFC and NFC). The 2 champions after playoffs then play each other in the super bowl. i.e champion of AFC vs champion of NFC.

And breathe.....

Last edited:

ajsccfc

And is the superbowl different to the league? Or is it just the superbowl and that's it?

The superbowl is basically the ultimate prize, everything's aimed towards it. The round before is the NFC and AFC championship so whoever loses today are still champions of their conference, but they're really the equivalent of a cup semi-final.

ccfc92

Cheers aj and mark :) get what you both mean. The mls is similar isn't it? They split the league's in half after so many games don't they?

Also, much chance of a scrap? Or are fights rare in nfl?

I wish I understood the game, just can't get into it :(
Nothing on at the moment, thought I might stir up a few NFL fans.

I have tried my damned hardest to try and understand what the USA NFL "Football" game is really all about - when you think about it it should'nt be called football at all as there is no foot and ball at all in open play !!!

There seems to be one playing strategy plus several mysterious secondary tactics:

• line up - knuckles on pitch facing the opposition in static mode on the half way line
  • the ball disappears
  • players start running in all directions (ball still missing)
  • ball appears and is thrown backwards to a team mate
  • the guy with the ball then throws it forward to another team mate
  • the new guy with the ball attempts to run towards the oposing line
  • if successful this is known as "touch down" erm the ball is never touched down !!!
In between this if the opposition loses the ball a complete new team of heavies arrives to win it back and the cycle starts all over again.

Passing the ball more than once apears to be forbidden.

My sympathy goes to the little skinny guy whos only job is to kick the ball over the bar - if ever he gets caught by those heavies he will be on hospital food for six months.

Each segment of open play lasts for about twelve seconds then the whole cycle starts again contributing towards an hours official play lasting up to four hours.

At times the touchline resembles an advertising convention for headphones.

And finally could someone name another team/club/country that participates in the "World Series" apart from the USA.

Do any SBT's have the same thoughts about this.

ajsccfc

Yeah, I think the MLS is close to identical setup. It's fairly standard for US sports, basketball follows the same formula with the difference being they play a ridiculous amount of regular season games (80+) and then the playoffs are on a best-of-7 rather than one-match knockout.

You don't really see fights - for all the hard-hitting allowed, the refs don't allow unsportsmanlike behaviour. Richard Sherman was flagged and fined for making a choking motion towards the 49er QB last game.

Darth Robins

Cheers aj and mark :) get what you both mean. The mls is similar isn't it? They split the league's in half after so many games don't they?

Also, much chance of a scrap? Or are fights rare in nfl?

Relatively rare, mostly because there's a) not much point in trying to fight a dude in full pads and a helmet and b) they throw huge fines at people for it.

They do still happen though but I don't see it in this game.

There was a pretty amazing bust-up in our last regular game of the season vs the Rams, but it wasn't a fight really.

ccfc92

Tell that to hockey players ;)

In baseball don't they play a game every night for like 3 months?

ajsccfc

Yeah, it's a packed schedule. I think they may even sometimes play twice in the same day in MLB, or at least used to.

ccfc92

Yeah, it's a packed schedule. I think they may even sometimes play twice in the same day in MLB, or at least used to.

Yeahh, cus when I went to new York they had the Yankees fixtures on the McDonald's coke cups, and I was like wtf they can't play every night surely lol

Users who are viewing this thread