Telegraph (2 Viewers)

robbiekeane

I try to avoid the dog shit reporting on there at the best of times, but I just saw link to an article on twitter and thought I'd give that a quick read. Couldn't even read the thing....when my phone finally recovered from the onslaught of shitty auto-play adverts and videos (enough to make me not visit again itself) the article disappeared. Only way to read it is to answer a survey?!?

That is absolutely tragic. Not sure who's genius idea that is to raise money, reminds me of someone's old MySpace page who got a bit excited with features. Try just writing something decent

Captain Dart

I use an adblocker, if I had to face all that shite I wouldn't ever look.

chiefdave

Used to be pretty much the first site I'd check everyday but rarely go on there now and if i do I tend to just scan the front page and see there's nothing worth reading.

Tragic what has happened to the CT.

Captain Dart

All of the above, plus their cocky staff on twitter unable to take constructive criticism.
True they've got a bit touchy & arrogant of late but try contradicting Less Read he will block you very swiftly.

Polar

Totally agree with this thread. I used to browse CT every day and enjoy the comments banter on certain articles as well.

Now it's laggy, covered in auto-playing flash videos, adverts, and those horribly designed surveys.

One solution is to disable javascripts in Chrome settings. It should remove at least some of this clutter (also works on websites like Mail Online).

However it's not really a solution as many useful pages use java - so I basically just don't read them much any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Dart

It's the same with most local newspaper sites now, unfortunately. Leicester Mercury is the same, 'Want to read this? First, close these five ads, answer a survey and give your next door neighbour a reacharound.'
Could that be because they're all owned by Mirror Group.

Adge

Could that be because they're all owned by Mirror Group.
Yes probably. Who gives a rats ass what happens in Solihull (apart from people who live there :emoji_grin:) as thats all the news that seems to be reported?

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Totally agree with this thread. I used to browse CT every day and enjoy the comments banter on certain articles as well.

Now it's laggy, covered in auto-playing flash videos, adverts, and those horribly designed surveys.

One solution is to disable javascripts in Chrome settings. It should remove at least some of this clutter (also works on websites like Mail Online).

However it's not really a solution as many useful pages use java - so I basically just don't read them much any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You read the Daily Mail?! Quick lads, lynch the Tory bastard!

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

5 reasons why people don't look at the telegraph site any more

1) ads
2) surveys
3) lagging
4) random videos
5) most articles are about 5 reasons why.......

I avoid those 5 reasons why articles like the plague, they're always irrelevant, repetitive and boring, space filler stories.

Nick

Administrator
Who the fuck is Rich Piana?

giphy.gif

cov4theprem

cant bear to look at it anymore. Used to go on there everyday, but as you say, you have to navigate the surveys, adverts and pop ups, just to find out 5 things that Jordan willis likes for tea*

*gotta say, I was surprised he likes marmite sandwiches
But it has to be on farmhouse bread

fernandopartridge

NorthernWisdom

The Mirror Group papers are all just publishing from the same repository. The same shite comes up on the Manchester Evening News

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Defence'll be it's in their top read stories.

of course it is, everyone'll be clicking in the vain hope of finding some local link!

Could even cope with one of it, but how many stories on a random bloke in a coma do you actually need?!?

Nick

Administrator
Defence'll be it's in their top read stories.

of course it is, everyone'll be clicking in the vain hope of finding some local link!

Could even cope with one of it, but how many stories on a random bloke in a coma do you actually need?!?

Yep, a screenshot in "most read" will explain all and then links to "most grown" local newspapers based on page / video views. Nothing to do with clickbait and having 2 videos load on every page view.

sw88

Chief Commentator!

Nick

Administrator
Something seems to be working for them read to the end of the article.....

Web ABCs: Sun fastest-growing national press website as daily regionals also make big gains – Press Gazette

Have to admit I prefer how the paper used to be a year or so ago.

A Gilbert-esque reply.

Anything to do with masses of misleading clickbait? If judged just on how many people have opened a page it doesn't take quality into consideration so not sure how it's a reply when people discuss quality.

If employing people solely to copy and paste articles and then hammer the shit out of them on social media with misleading titles then of course daily views will go up. It's the lad bible approach.

It's up there with just screenshotting "most read" as a reply when somebody says anything about the quality or how it's unrelated to Coventry.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
tbf, he said he preferred it before they started doing all that ;)

I know, it's just how the "you are wrong because views are up" is the standard response. The same as "well thousands who have read it disagree" as if they have been asked what they thought about the article.

That would be correct if the statement was "I bet page views are down" but not relevant when going on about quality :)

martcov

A Gilbert-esque reply.

Anything to do with masses of misleading clickbait? If judged just on how many people have opened a page it doesn't take quality into consideration so not sure how it's a reply when people discuss quality.

If employing people solely to copy and paste articles and then hammer the shit out of them on social media with misleading titles then of course daily views will go up. It's the lad bible approach.

It's up there with just screenshotting "most read" as a reply when somebody says anything about the quality or how it's unrelated to Coventry.

Doesn't show how much is generated by CCFC and the SISU disaster.... I would think that alone accounts for some proportion of interest generated..

Users who are viewing this thread