The Ashes (1 Viewer)

A number of high profile former players have been playing down our chances of beating the Aussies in the Ashes series. Almost everyone apart from Sir Ian 'Beefy' Botham have said we cant do it. I for one don't agree. Yes, we are the underdogs, no doubt about it, but we were the underdogs against Germany in '66. We were underdogs at the Women's World Cup. We were underdogs when we beat Australia in 2003 at the Rugby World Cup. My point being, we have a habit of shocking people. We preformed brilliantly against New Zealand and with our new coach on board, why cant we win? But what does everyone else think? Can we beat the Aussies? Will the earn stay in England? Let us know your opinions. This is my Cook's Question for this week, so if you dont want your answer read out on the show, please say so. Sports Lounge will be LIVE on 98.6 Hillz FM on Thursday from 10-12. Thanks for getting involved

Otis

A number of high profile former players have been playing down our chances of beating the Aussies in the Ashes series. Almost everyone apart from Sir Ian 'Beefy' Botham have said we cant do it. I for one don't agree. Yes, we are the underdogs, no doubt about it, but we were the underdogs against Germany in '66. We were underdogs at the Women's World Cup. We were underdogs when we beat Australia in 2003 at the Rugby World Cup. My point being, we have a habit of shocking people. We preformed brilliantly against New Zealand and with our new coach on board, why cant we win? But what does everyone else think? Can we beat the Aussies? Will the earn stay in England? Let us know your opinions. This is my Cook's Question for this week, so if you dont want your answer read out on the show, please say so. Sports Lounge will be LIVE on 98.6 Hillz FM on Thursday from 10-12. Thanks for getting involved

Beefy says we can beat them? Oh dear. :facepalm:

Last Ashes series in Austrailia he predicted a 5-0 whitewash to England, so I wouldn't be counting my chickens on that one.

Last edited:

CCFC88

Bowling will be the key

Can Anderson and Broad still do a job? Can Wood step up and make it swing? Will Rashid get a chance, if not do we have enough anywhere else to pick up wickets on a 5 day old pitch?

Will Mitchell Johnson be as effective as he is down under? He struggled in the IPL and has never really performed in Blighty. They have an abundance of pace bowlers

I think both teams have stacks of runs in them if they can get in making the tosses so important, both of these batting lineups can have you playing for a draw after 3/4 sessions.

England have to take their chances, cant afford to drop the catches we dropped during the NZ tour, always the optimist though, 2-1/3-1 England Cook scoring a hatful!

chiefdave

The start of the series will be vital, if the Aussies get a decent start I can see the doubts and nerves creeping in to the England side and it all going horribly wrong.

Monners

I think we are going to get hammered - their bowling attack will be to strong for us. Our only chance is if Anderson and Broad (if he decides to turn up - don't rate him really ) can knock them over quickly. I will be at the last test at the Oval - be a good day out whatever the state of affairs.

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

We need to do little things like leave the grass longer and lush in the hope it tires them out a bit on the run up of the left arm over the wicket bowlers and also make where they put there feet just as they release the ball prone to breaking up.

If they can get Warner and Smith early then they have a chance, the toss will be important as will the weather if it swings early Warner and Smith are walking wickets, Warner will Nick off and Smith is a prime lbw candidate.

3-1 to England if the weather suits otherwise 2-2

stupot07

The Aussies have probably the best and fastest attack in world, whist ours struggled to take 20 wickets against both the windies and New Zealand, and also our poor spin bowling option will be a factor, I fear Ali was a one season wonder with the ball. And I still think there's a few question marks on our batting line up, the New Zealand bowling attack was very average and many of them will never have faced the pace and aggression of a Johnson. For that reason I think we will lose 3-1, the Aussies will be too strong for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

CCFC88

Happy to see Rashid getting a call up, with Moeen and Root as part timers lots of spin options to call upon, granted none proven to be world class but this is the perfect stage for someone like him to step up and make a name for himself.

Covstu

Yes we are underdogs and rightly so. When mentioning football, rugby WC etc these are all one off games rather than a series of 5. I just cannot see us winning this but we may sneak 1 test, we lose silly wickets when we shoudl be digging in and our bowling attack is irratic at best.

I just hope we do not get humiliated to be honest particualrly on home soil. If i was a betting man i would have 4-1 or 3-1 aussies (if weather is poor).

If ODI i would be more confident as i think we are getting that right. Who knows in the future as i think we have great talent there, impressed with Strauss not messing around (apart from KP) and we are moving in the right direction.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Still think Aus will win comfortably but England appear now to have had the shackles taken off & will be allowed to play freely & not in fear.

With regards to the approach first off all the wickets must be bowler friendly to allow the England attack to take 20 wickets.

The Aussie attack v England bats on a road I would back the Australians to take 20 wickets but England bowlers v Aus bats I wouldn't.

Hopefully Bayliss will have plans & will know weakness of the Australians especially Smith who could take the series away from England on his own with his current form.

England are going to have to come out firing get at the Aussies even when Aus are on top they need that bite, the likes of Johnson, Haddin, Watson, Warner will give it out by the bucket load give it back use this series as a stepping stone for the future.

If they're going to lose it lose it so in 5 weeks time the public & the squad can be positive & see stepping stones for the future.

Terry Gibson's perm

If the wicket in Birmingham is anything like the one used for the last county game there is a good chance of a draw as both teams got over 600 and hardly any wickets.

as England have picked Rashid get ready for some turners.

as for Smith England need to get him for low scores early in the series and he will start to question his own technique

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

If the wicket in Birmingham is anything like the one used for the last county game there is a good chance of a draw as both teams got over 600 and hardly any wickets.

as England have picked Rashid get ready for some turners.

as for Smith England need to get him for low scores early in the series and he will start to question his own technique

It won't be Dougie Brown put his hands up yesterday and admitted that got the wicket wrong as they wanted a slower turning wicket and it just turned into a road.

I do think the grounds will want 5 days so may prepare too good a batting wickets which goes against England.

Terry Gibson's perm

It won't be Dougie Brown put his hands up yesterday and admitted that got the wicket wrong as they wanted a slower turning wicket and it just turned into a road.

I do think the grounds will want 5 days so may prepare too good a batting wickets which goes against England.

They will all be wanting to produce wickets that sell the maximum amount of beer so they need the fifth day, they ought to put the England players on a cut of the bar takings and watch them bat then;)

As it's the third test if England are two up by then they may want a road.

Macca

This is the pinnacle of sports viewing for me. Stuff city and England football I'd watch every day of every test if I could

Terry Gibson's perm

This is the pinnacle of sports viewing for me. Stuff city and England football I'd watch every day of every test if I could

I don't really enjoy international football matches but love the Ashes I don't think I will get as much time to watch it this time but will probably take my I pad into work and watch it during my lunch break on sky.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Likewise Cricket is & always will be my number 1 sport

Got the first 2 tests off so will be glued to the TV, well for the first few days if it starts to turn into a nightmare!

Ian1779

We will get dicked... simply because we aren't good enough to bowl them out twice. We may have a smidge of a chance if we pick Rashid, but that would involve Cook growing a pair and try to be positive.

Sadly Rashid will be carrying water bottles all summer, Mooen will be serving up some top quality buffet bowling for the Aussies to tuck into, and we will be lucky to win one test.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Supposedly a green seaming wicket, overcast conditions, please Alistair win that toss & make sure you & the lads aren't batting first!

Otis

We will get dicked... simply because we aren't good enough to bowl them out twice. We may have a smidge of a chance if we pick Rashid, but that would involve Cook growing a pair and try to be positive.

Sadly Rashid will be carrying water bottles all summer, Mooen will be serving up some top quality buffet bowling for the Aussies to tuck into, and we will be lucky to win one test.

I think the cavalier, all guns blazing attitude we had in the one dayers will be totally replaced by ultra caution, with Cook at the helm.

Sometimes you just have to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and dictate, rather than approach the game with caution.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I think the cavalier, all guns blazing attitude we had in the one dayers will be totally replaced by ultra caution, with Cook at the helm.

Sometimes you just have to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and dictate, rather than approach the game with caution.

Wasn't really with the bat in the Test series. Hopefully Bayliss & Farbrace will have told him & the bowlers to go more attacking! Especially when trying to mop up the tail! Full & straight less of the short crap, keep all modes of dismissal open to 8,9,10,11.

Otis

Wasn't really with the bat in the Test series. Hopefully Bayliss & Farbrace will have told him & the bowlers to go more attacking! Especially when trying to mop up the tail! Full & straight less of the short crap, keep all modes of dismissal open to 8,9,10,11.

Yeah, it seemed to be short ball as plan A and then if that didn't work, stick with plan A.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Yeah, it seemed to be short ball as plan A and then if that didn't work, stick with plan A.

Just pray England can get in at them in this Test as a defeat like the one in '05 at Lords to go 1-0 down won't see them coming back this time I fear.

First Aus inns knock over Smith & Clarke cheap to just send a few warning messages that they can have Smith & to put pressure on the captain.

Ah well what will be will be!

C'mon Boys!!

Terry Gibson's perm

That's dopey Broad for you, I will miss Anderson when he retires as he is a very skillful bowler but Broad can't pack it in quickly enough for me (this should be enough to get him 5 wickets today) I would still rather see Finn, Wood looks useful but Ali is at best average.

This will be the end of the road as a captain for Cook as Bayliss will see close up how negative and at clueless he is, but that job will ruin Root when he takes over.

stupot07

Aggers was just on 5 Live, apparently the groundsmen are mowing the pitch again and it now looks a slow dead pitch. Clarke and one of the England bowlers (texted aggers he didn't divulge who) aren't happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Terry Gibson's perm

Aggers was just on 5 Live, apparently the groundsmen are mowing the pitch again and it now looks a slow dead pitch. Clarke and one of the England bowlers (texted aggers he didn't divulge who) aren't happy.

If Clarke is unhappy good home advantage should be used in every way against this repulsive team.

Otis

If Clarke is unhappy good home advantage should be used in every way against this repulsive team.

It has to be said, NZ were a breath of fresh air and the tests and one dayers overall, were played out in great spirit.

This Ashes could quickly turn nasty and ugly.

Terry Gibson's perm

The nearer it has got the less interested I have got in this Ashes I wish that New Zealand had stayed around for a couple more tests instead they are a good and very fair team, they now play the Aussies to often.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

The nearer it has got the less interested I have got in this Ashes I wish that New Zealand had stayed around for a couple more tests instead they are a good and very fair team, they now play the Aussies to often.

That is true Ian Bell tweeted his excitement saying its his 7th Ashes series he made his debut 10 years ago!

The days of a home ashes series every 4 years have well & truly gone!

All down to the ECB, Cricket Australia & BCCI having so much power.

stupot07

Unfortunately our strength is swing bowling, our spinner is poor and they have a couple of guys bowling 90+ mph who'll get something out of a dead pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread